Question :

May aspartame in gum and diet sodas slow metabolism?

Can aspartame in gum and diet sodas slow metabolism?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
 Aspartame is composed of methanol and two naturally occurring amino acids: aspartic acid and phenylalanine. Because aspartame breaks down into these amino acids in the body, it behaves like a protein, providing an energy value of 4 kcal/g. This energy value is the same as sugar, but since aspartame is used in only very small quantities, food and beverage manufacturers can advertise their products as "calorie-free." A review of aspartame's metabolism showed that the human body breaks down aspartame into three compounds: methanol, aspartic acid, and phenylalanine. Although methanol is toxic to the human body, research has established that the consumption of products containing aspartame will not lead to toxic levels of methanol. The same conclusion applies to aspartic acid. However, only a small amount of phenylalanine can cause severe brain damage in individuals with the genetic disease phenylketonuria. These individuals must avoid products with aspartame. To date, no substantial or conclusive evidence indicates that aspartame harms the rest of the population or slow metabolism.

Questions related to Healthy Eating

eating problem for teen

what does it mean when i cant tell if im hungry or not and when i do eat i feel sick?

Androgenetic alopecia natural solutions

I am a 26 year old female. I am an adrogenetic alopecia patient and tried many things (PRP, mesotherapy, Anastem, Ste...

Please help me get healthy

Hello, I don't know if you answer these types of questions or not... But I'm 17 and I've had an extremely unhealthy r...

Hypoglycemia

I think of myself in shorthand as hypoglycemic because if I don't eat frequent meals with protein and carbs I get ill...

safety of sugar and artifical sweeteners

Hi Dr, I am trying to limit my sugar intake as part of a healthy lower calorie diet. I have read that new researc...

Eating Oatmeal instead of rice?

Does oatmeal can be consumed at breakfast, lunch and dinner? and can oatmeal is a good substitute for rice?

What dietary recommendations do you suggest to ...

My son has severe pancreatitis attacks, from bad habits he engaged in several years ago. The questions i would like a...

Recently became vegetarian and am experiencing ...

Hello I'm am 17 years old recently I have become a vegetarian (automatically I became a vegetarian )but I haven't not...

am i drinking too much water?

I am only 15 years old and I am afraid I am drinking too much water I drink around 2-3 gallons a day .I was wonderi...

Sodium requirement

I have been on the 28 day fast metabolism diet for 23 days and have had absolutely no dairy or processed foods so I h...

My dad eats way too much salt

Hi, my dad has a problem with eating too much salt. He dumps a lot on vegetables, and just eats it from the shaker. ...

Are blueberries filled with sugar and make you ...

Is eating blueberries for you good? I love the taste of them and have a few with breakfast every single morning. My ...

Can I drink Distilled Water?

Is drinking distilled water safe?

Concern with side-effects of artificial sweetener

Is there anything bad in Sainsbury's SlendaSweet? i support someone with a learning disability and she has become ve...

Health risks in eating tomatoes?

1. Are there health risks or dangers in eating too much fresh tomatoes? If, what is the medical advice to avoid the...

Best Diet For Acid Reflux

I've recently been diagnosed with a stress related inbalance in my digestive acids. Although I understand that restr...

Still nautious from a Yeast infection or Pelvic...

I was recently diagnosed with a mild yeast infection about two weeks ago and a severe pelic inflammatory infection. ...

How much blood is made in the body everyday??

Hello.. I would like to know in how many days the body makes up the volume in case of blood loss from the body e.g. ...

Controlling High Potassium

If the doctor says the potassium is too high, How can it be lowered and controlled? I am asking for a client who ha...

Apple cider vinegar - and its benefits.

I have been drinking a cup of hot water with 2 TBLS of apple cider vinegar and some honey once a day. I've just read...

Pros and Cons of the Master Cleanse

I frequently have loose stools, feel nauseated, and have to rush to the bathroom after meals. I am considering doing...

What are the common side effects of the medifas...

I'm 25 years old and have a problem with my weight since childhood. I also have a history of allergy to eggs. I am i...

Diet for patients with liver disease

Goodday, I do not see the specific category for my question. I had Liver problems, I was in Hospital for some time. ...

I eating Raw soaked rice good for your health?

Eating raw soaked rice is good to our health?please tell me explain

My skin is turning yellow after becoming a vege...

I've been vegetarian for 9 years, but I turned vegan only about 5 months ago. Since I became vegan, my skin colour's...

Post Your Thoughts