Question :

Calcium requirements for a 62 years old woman

I am 62 and take a liquid calcium for bone loss; with so many to choose from, and each one adding important vitamins and minerals, how do I make an intelligent decision which one meets my bones needs?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Not only the Calcium is important in your case but also the Vitamin D intake, which makes the calcium get absorbed.As people age, skin cannot synthesize vitamin D as efficiently and the kidney is less able to convert vitamin D to its active hormone form. Therefore, older adults may benefit from supplemental vitamin D. Vitamin D deficiency can result from a variety of causes, including inadequate exposure to sunlight (this causes a deficiency in cutaneously synthesized vitamin D), malabsorption problems, lack of vitamin D in breast milk, (this is for kids) and the effects of certain medications. Intake recommendations for calcium and other nutrients are provided in the Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs) developed by the Food and Nutrition Board (FNB). In your case for female individuals older than 50 years the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) is 1,200 mg/day. Just try to check in the label of the product the calcium content per oz. or ml. Also keep in mind that there are many sources of calcium: Milk, yogurt, and cheese (Dairy sources), and Nondairy as: Chinese cabbage, kale, and broccoli. Spinach provides calcium, but its bioavailability is poor. Most grains do not have high amounts of calcium unless they are fortified; however, they contribute calcium to the diet because they contain small amounts of calcium and people consume them frequently. Foods fortified with calcium include many fruit juices and drinks, tofu, and cereals.

Questions related to Vitamins

Is it legal for a rn in florida to sell b12 inj...

Is it legal in florida, for a rn to sell b12 injections without a doctors rx

Vitamin supplements for bowel

I currently take Letrozole after having breast cancer 2 years ago. I wish to know if I can take a Bowel Tonic B supp...

Can these vitamins be taken together?

Is it ok to take d3 (400iu) B12 (500mg) iron (65mg) Synthroid (50mcg) and sertraline (100mg) all together?

Muscle pains due to Vitamin D defficiency

I am 30 and having on & off muscle pain along with little bit joint pain from last 4 days. Year back i was Vitam...

Should Vitamins have negative side effects?

Can a sport single Vitamin/or multipack vitamin(s) give you a negative side effect? as matter affect, can any type of...

Vitamin D deficiency

I am 23 and I had some blood work done and my Vit D is only 3 ng/mL . I have scoliosis but a doctor told me that the ...

Fish Oil Pills and Propranolol

Should I take fish oil pills and propranolol ER 80MG? I've read some stuff on the Internet that has different answers.

Can I take two multimineral dietary supplements...

I am taking Forever Nature-Min from last one month.It is suggested that one can take 6 tablets per day as a dietary ...

Effects of Taking Different Vitamins together??

Hello, Can you take vitamins together? I regular take chromium picolinate, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, apple cider v...

Vitamin D deficiency causes and treatment

How i cover my defficancy of vitamin D?

Is is safe to use Amberen for menopausal symptoms?

I am a 60 year old female. I take a multi vitamin, zinc and a b complex everyday. I have also started taking a produ...

Low levels of vitamin D causing dry scalp.

Could low levels of vitamin d cause my scalp to be very dry?

Risk of Vitamin A and E Overdose

Can I take Omega 3(fish oil tablets)and brewers yeast tablets together? Is there a risk of Vit A or Vit E toxicity?

Enlarged red blood cells what could this mean?...

Hi, i have had 6 miscarriages all ending before 12 weeks and in the middle a troublesome pregnancy which went to 38 ...

Taking Evening Primrose Oil and Rhodiola Rosea?

Hi, I'm currently on Depo Provera and am experiencing erratic mood swings with a general feeling of being low or dow...

Importance of Vitamin D in teenagers

Can Vitamin D deficiency stop or delay growth in teenagers.

Taking Prenatal vitamins and not pregnant

Is it okay to take prenatal vitamins even if your not pregnant or planning to get get pregnant,also does it cause yo...

Vitamin B causing strange throat problem?

I have been taking Super B-Complex, the kind that are labeled for stress, off and on now for a few years after my DR...

MIXING VITAMINS: will it affect their efficacy?

THESE ARE THE VITAMINS I AM TAKING; CAN THEY ALL BE TAKEN TOGETHER OR SHOULD THEY BE SEPARATED THROUGH THE DAY FOR B...

Symptoms of vitamin D deficiency

What are the symptoms of a vitamin D deficiency ?

Vitamin B 12 overdose and symptoms.

I had a B12 overdose and need to know what to do to reverse it. I has a very fast heart rate which now has settled, ...

Numbness and Tingling related to vitamin defici...

I have tingling and numbness on my calves and thighs but all my tests( MRI AND EMG) are normal? What could be wrong ...

How much vitamin D should i take?

I stay indoors a lot and so get very little Vitamin D. How much Vitamin D should I take? age: 14 weight: 60 kg heigh...

Iron in diet: males RDA

Is it okay for a man to take a women's multivitamin or some other iron containing supplement if the man is a vegetar...

Daily Dosage of Vitamin B12 and D3

I just purchased vitamin b12 and D3. How much of each should I take daily?

Post Your Thoughts