Question :

Post achilles tendon surgery infection near stitches?

I had my achilles tendon repaired a few weeks ago and I have been in a fiber glass cast after 1 week of the surgery. I keep getting a very itchy and burning feeling where they made the stitches after attaching the tendon back. Is there a possibility that it could be infected? Should i make an appointment with my orthopedic surgeon sooner than my scheduled appointment next week? Thanks in advance

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
 I suggest to wait until next week when your appointment is due, because is very common the itchiness and some burning when you are in a cast, even for those persons that do not have stitches. But if you notice that you are having fever, pain, you feel the cast tight or the foot gets swollen, you should go immediately to the hospital. If this is not your case, then,  you may wait until your follow up appointment.

Questions related to Sports Injuries

My Toe was injured and I don't know what to do!

A couple of years ago I broke the growth plate in my big toe. After it happened I noticed my skin was black where the...

Wrist pain and discomfort, Lump on the wrist on...

I have been experiencing pain and discomfort in my wrist. When bending it left, right or upwards and when I bend it ...

What's wrong with my ankle?

I hurt my ankle on Wednesday playing soccer. I rolled my ankle outward putting all my weight on my left ankle, and I ...

Cortisone cost

I am a volleyball player and have had knee pain and swelling for months. I would like to know how much it would cost...

Pelvic pain after falling?

Hi there! I am 14 years old. I do backflips and I was doing them today and I was pretty tired and just before I took ...

Paining to heel and anklet

Hi doctor I have pains of heel side where the small type stone pinched ( but not created wound or bleeding) at leas...

High ankle sprain pain continues after cortison...

Almost 6 weeks ago I suffered a high ankle sprain while at work. I had an MRI with the following results: "a...

Pain in Achilles tendon and Midfoot

About a year ago I was playing basketball and while driving to the basket, when my left heel hit the ground I felt a...

Young catcher recovering from rotator cuff surgery

My son was a promising catcher with several colleges looking at him to play ball. He had fraying in his rotatory cuf...

Pain and swelling in the shin after a direct tr...

Hi, i played soccer yesterday and got hit in the tibia..after 15min the swelling was big, but finish the game with l...

High school runner with pain in the shins

Hello, I am an avid runner training for the upcoming Track season at my local high school. Ever since the second pra...

Constant tail bone bruising

I have just started Roller Derby and have been falling on my tail bone a lot, which is constantly bruising the bone....

Possible strain of the upper back muscles due t...

I was working out 4 days ago and exerted very hard while bench pressing. I suddenly had pain in the back of my skull...

Fractured fifth finger in treatment with cast f...

I am 20 years male recently broke my pinky finger at a 70 degree angle from the middle joint up to my knucle. I done...

Pain in the Achilles tendon that worsens when r...

My achilles tendon has been feeling uncomfortable for last 2 weeks now and if i do certain movement with my ankle i ...

Hamstring Strain during a spinning class

Over a week ago I strained a tendon in my hamstring during a spin class. I went to the doctor and he gave me anti-in...

Possible overuse injury in a golf player

I'm a right handed man. After playing golf the next day I had pain on my left hand from the forarm to the hand. Is t...

Severe heel pain and Achilles tendon swelling i...

I am and avid runner and currently am NOT able to run because I have severe heel pain (calcaneus) accompanied with s...

Possible shoulder tendinitis after military tr...

I have been training for the military to ace the pt test so I can get a special forces contract. During training I s...

Teenager with knee pain when sitting indian style

Okay...well I'm sixteen years old I've had this knee problem for about three years now. It happens when I sit on my ...

Greenstick Fracture in a teenager football player

Hi my name is nick and i have a greenstick fracture what can i do to fix it because i have a football combine and i ...

Dark urine after intense work out

Recently I began lifting weights after taking 2 months off of my normal workout schedule, cycling and running, that ...

Injured ankle playing ice hockey three weeks ago

Greetings, I injured my ankle playing ice hockey 3 weeks ago. i couldn't walk without excruciating pain the next two...

Physical Therapy treatment for Knee tendinitis

Hi, Recently I was diagonised with knee tendonitis. Doctor advised me to take sufficient rest and moderate amount of...

Possible Hamstring injury in a 28 years old soc...

Hi there, I have a problem with my knee. The pain is actually inside my knee at the back (back of leg). It occurs wh...

Post Your Thoughts