Question :

Knee Pain

I am a tall (6'4" tall and 225 pounds) male. Early 30's. I work in a factory that requires climbing stairs, ladders, and stepping up on top of high platforms (2-3 feet above my feet). I have recently felt knee pain. Mostly on the inside of my knees. Mostly on my right knee, which is the side I most frequently use. I am fairly certain that it is due to my height, and may be related to the fact that on ladders and such, my knees will often hit the next step up if I take them straight on. So I often turn my feet to the inside, so that my knee tracks out from my center-line, and won't bump the steel of the next step. I suspect that I have weakened myself on a crucial muscle, and it has injured me because of this. When I take the larger steps, where bumping myself is not an issue, I still revert to a weird angle on my foot, because I'm not strong enough to just take the step straight on. The other thing that I have done recently and might have aggravated or caused an injury, is working at a low height, I often squat down and rest my body weight on my bent knees, instead of bending at the waste. Doing this now hurts, and it is next to impossible to stand up without extreme discomfort. I was under the impression that bending at the waist is bad for the back, and I already have back pain because nothing in this world is built for a tall person (cars, chairs, tables, etc), so I have been squatting. What can I do to get better? This is my job, and I can't just stop doing these things. What can I do to prevent this from happening again? I suspect doing strengthening exercises for a certain muscle, or muscle group?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Thank you for your question,
Knee pain can be very troubling - especially when it interferes with your job.  The first thing I recommend is to eliminate factors that may make your knee pain worse. Smoking and excess weight are the leading contributors of knee problems that one can control.
I also recommend you wear the most comfortable shoes you can afford.  A good pair of shoes can go a long way in reducing joint stress. Custom orthotic inserts also help to relieve joint pain.
When pain tends to occur in very specific positions as you described, it is usually attributed to a muscle imbalance. An appointment with your local physical therapist can isolate the muscle imbalance and he or she can suggest the appropriate exercises for your situation
I hope this helps

Questions related to Sports Injuries

Fall Onto Upper Back, Dull Pain On Spine

Hello, Today I was playing a game of frisbee with friends. Me and a friend both went to catch the frisbee at the s...

Cut off fingertip and nailbed (diagonal)

Last week a cut clean a piece off my finfertip and some of the nailbed (the amputation was diagonal ,no bone was hurt...

My Toe was injured and I don't know what to do!

A couple of years ago I broke the growth plate in my big toe. After it happened I noticed my skin was black where the...

Wrist pain and discomfort, Lump on the wrist on...

I have been experiencing pain and discomfort in my wrist. When bending it left, right or upwards and when I bend it ...

What's wrong with my ankle?

I hurt my ankle on Wednesday playing soccer. I rolled my ankle outward putting all my weight on my left ankle, and I ...

Cortisone cost

I am a volleyball player and have had knee pain and swelling for months. I would like to know how much it would cost...

Pelvic pain after falling?

Hi there! I am 14 years old. I do backflips and I was doing them today and I was pretty tired and just before I took ...

Paining to heel and anklet

Hi doctor I have pains of heel side where the small type stone pinched ( but not created wound or bleeding) at leas...

High ankle sprain pain continues after cortison...

Almost 6 weeks ago I suffered a high ankle sprain while at work. I had an MRI with the following results: "a...

Pain in Achilles tendon and Midfoot

About a year ago I was playing basketball and while driving to the basket, when my left heel hit the ground I felt a...

Young catcher recovering from rotator cuff surgery

My son was a promising catcher with several colleges looking at him to play ball. He had fraying in his rotatory cuf...

Pain and swelling in the shin after a direct tr...

Hi, i played soccer yesterday and got hit in the tibia..after 15min the swelling was big, but finish the game with l...

High school runner with pain in the shins

Hello, I am an avid runner training for the upcoming Track season at my local high school. Ever since the second pra...

Constant tail bone bruising

I have just started Roller Derby and have been falling on my tail bone a lot, which is constantly bruising the bone....

Possible strain of the upper back muscles due t...

I was working out 4 days ago and exerted very hard while bench pressing. I suddenly had pain in the back of my skull...

Fractured fifth finger in treatment with cast f...

I am 20 years male recently broke my pinky finger at a 70 degree angle from the middle joint up to my knucle. I done...

Pain in the Achilles tendon that worsens when r...

My achilles tendon has been feeling uncomfortable for last 2 weeks now and if i do certain movement with my ankle i ...

Hamstring Strain during a spinning class

Over a week ago I strained a tendon in my hamstring during a spin class. I went to the doctor and he gave me anti-in...

Possible overuse injury in a golf player

I'm a right handed man. After playing golf the next day I had pain on my left hand from the forarm to the hand. Is t...

Severe heel pain and Achilles tendon swelling i...

I am and avid runner and currently am NOT able to run because I have severe heel pain (calcaneus) accompanied with s...

Possible shoulder tendinitis after military tr...

I have been training for the military to ace the pt test so I can get a special forces contract. During training I s...

Teenager with knee pain when sitting indian style

Okay...well I'm sixteen years old I've had this knee problem for about three years now. It happens when I sit on my ...

Greenstick Fracture in a teenager football player

Hi my name is nick and i have a greenstick fracture what can i do to fix it because i have a football combine and i ...

Dark urine after intense work out

Recently I began lifting weights after taking 2 months off of my normal workout schedule, cycling and running, that ...

Injured ankle playing ice hockey three weeks ago

Greetings, I injured my ankle playing ice hockey 3 weeks ago. i couldn't walk without excruciating pain the next two...

Post Your Thoughts