Question :

Hamstring strain: how long will it take to heal?

I was stretching excessively every day for a week and that on saturday my hamstring in the back of my thigh felt really tight and pain full to stretch but i didn't think anything of it and then on sunday i did a hamstring stretch and right away shooting pain went through the hamstring that had been hurting the day before. so i iced it for the rest of the day and then heated it for a day or two after and it didn't hurt anymore it just felt a little weird and tight when i walked. my doctor said that he thinks i pulled a tendon in my knee and that i cant dance for four weeks. i think that four weeks is way too long because i really don't think i did anything all that bad.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
 A muscle sprain involves the tearing or stretching of the ligaments beyond their normal capacity. A muscle strain is associated with the tearing or excessive stretching of the muscle and can be equally as painful. Any muscle strain or muscle pull or even a muscle tear implies damage to the muscle itself and/or its attaching tendons. The time of healing varies from patient to patient and also depends on the severity of the initial injury. The conservative treatment basically consists of: initially, protection, rest, ice, compression, and elevation (known as the PRICE formula) can help the affected muscle and also maintaining the strained muscle in a stretched position. Heat can be applied when the swelling has lessened, anti-inflammatory medication (i.e.: “Aleve”), rest the strained muscle and avoid any activities that may have caused the strain and other activities that may be painful. A Physical Therapy program for 4-6 weeks may help you big time,it must be followed and you may practice at home the stretching exercises above all. The healing time and conditions for each patient are different, but usually it takes between 4-6 weeks to recover and back to the normal activities progressively. Avoid overuse and try to do an appropriate warming-up and stretching before significant physical activity.

Questions related to Sports Injuries

Fall Onto Upper Back, Dull Pain On Spine

Hello, Today I was playing a game of frisbee with friends. Me and a friend both went to catch the frisbee at the s...

Cut off fingertip and nailbed (diagonal)

Last week a cut clean a piece off my finfertip and some of the nailbed (the amputation was diagonal ,no bone was hurt...

My Toe was injured and I don't know what to do!

A couple of years ago I broke the growth plate in my big toe. After it happened I noticed my skin was black where the...

Wrist pain and discomfort, Lump on the wrist on...

I have been experiencing pain and discomfort in my wrist. When bending it left, right or upwards and when I bend it ...

What's wrong with my ankle?

I hurt my ankle on Wednesday playing soccer. I rolled my ankle outward putting all my weight on my left ankle, and I ...

Cortisone cost

I am a volleyball player and have had knee pain and swelling for months. I would like to know how much it would cost...

Pelvic pain after falling?

Hi there! I am 14 years old. I do backflips and I was doing them today and I was pretty tired and just before I took ...

Paining to heel and anklet

Hi doctor I have pains of heel side where the small type stone pinched ( but not created wound or bleeding) at leas...

High ankle sprain pain continues after cortison...

Almost 6 weeks ago I suffered a high ankle sprain while at work. I had an MRI with the following results: "a...

Pain in Achilles tendon and Midfoot

About a year ago I was playing basketball and while driving to the basket, when my left heel hit the ground I felt a...

Young catcher recovering from rotator cuff surgery

My son was a promising catcher with several colleges looking at him to play ball. He had fraying in his rotatory cuf...

Pain and swelling in the shin after a direct tr...

Hi, i played soccer yesterday and got hit in the tibia..after 15min the swelling was big, but finish the game with l...

High school runner with pain in the shins

Hello, I am an avid runner training for the upcoming Track season at my local high school. Ever since the second pra...

Constant tail bone bruising

I have just started Roller Derby and have been falling on my tail bone a lot, which is constantly bruising the bone....

Possible strain of the upper back muscles due t...

I was working out 4 days ago and exerted very hard while bench pressing. I suddenly had pain in the back of my skull...

Fractured fifth finger in treatment with cast f...

I am 20 years male recently broke my pinky finger at a 70 degree angle from the middle joint up to my knucle. I done...

Pain in the Achilles tendon that worsens when r...

My achilles tendon has been feeling uncomfortable for last 2 weeks now and if i do certain movement with my ankle i ...

Hamstring Strain during a spinning class

Over a week ago I strained a tendon in my hamstring during a spin class. I went to the doctor and he gave me anti-in...

Possible overuse injury in a golf player

I'm a right handed man. After playing golf the next day I had pain on my left hand from the forarm to the hand. Is t...

Severe heel pain and Achilles tendon swelling i...

I am and avid runner and currently am NOT able to run because I have severe heel pain (calcaneus) accompanied with s...

Possible shoulder tendinitis after military tr...

I have been training for the military to ace the pt test so I can get a special forces contract. During training I s...

Teenager with knee pain when sitting indian style

Okay...well I'm sixteen years old I've had this knee problem for about three years now. It happens when I sit on my ...

Greenstick Fracture in a teenager football player

Hi my name is nick and i have a greenstick fracture what can i do to fix it because i have a football combine and i ...

Dark urine after intense work out

Recently I began lifting weights after taking 2 months off of my normal workout schedule, cycling and running, that ...

Injured ankle playing ice hockey three weeks ago

Greetings, I injured my ankle playing ice hockey 3 weeks ago. i couldn't walk without excruciating pain the next two...

Post Your Thoughts