Question :

Knee pain when sitting at the theatre

Here is my situation. When sitting in the theaters and bleachers at school my knees will start to hurt and unless i can stretch them it just keeps getting worse. When running i will get pains right below my knee cap. I play tennis and it is painful to play and do the sprints in practice along with the foot speed drills.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Knee pain is the most common presentation of patellofemoral syndrome in young and active people. The pain typically is located behind the kneecap and often shows during activities that require knee flexion and forceful contraction of the quadriceps (ei, during squats, ascending/descending stairs or pendants). Pain may be worsen by sitting with the knee flexed for a long period of time, such as while watching a movie, hence leading to the terms theatre sign and movie-goers knee. The causes are diverse: Overuse (repetitive use or activity), overloading, and misuse of the patellofemoral joint.The suggested strategy for conservative treatment should be as follows: Physical therapy program (exercises and pain control with TENS, ultrasound, ice packs after exercises), anti-inflammatory drugs (i.e.: Aleve, Advil), education of the patient so he/she understands which activities avoid because those can aggravate patellofemoral syndrome.Also,and very important, remark the need for extended adherence to the exercise regimen. Your physical therapist should educate you about a home exercise program Allow time for these conservative measures (i.e.: exercise program) to have an effect, usually 4-6 weeks is adequate for some resolution of symptoms.

Questions related to Athlete Training

Help with ankle injury rehab

Doctor states I have a tibiotalar joint injury and anterior talofibular ligament injury on both ankles. I'm in an ai...

Back cracking or popping during sit ups

My lower back 'cracks' or 'pops' during sit ups and I have only noticed when doing full sit ups not when doing crunch...

Numbness in thumb after workout, is there nerve...

Hi Just wondering if someone could help me About 5 weeks ago I was at the gym and I was doing a dip exercise and w...

Muscles growth

Do I have to fully work out my muscles for them to get stronger which means do I have to push my self to the limit I...

Over exertion and lumps on my sholder

Last night i worked out for the first time in months, I folowed my brothers upper body rugby scheduel with lower wei...

Active softball pitcher.

Im 16 and i play high school fastpitch softball im a shortstop and pitcher and i pitch more than one game a day im t...

Hip pain in a 14 years old runner

I am 14 and i run track and play football. ever since the previous track season witch was last year right around thi...

Clenbuterol Drug Detection

How long is Clenbuterol detectable in your system? By urine and blood?

Pain Relief for Track and Field Sports?

I'm on the track and field team. What is the best medicine to take for the aches and pains i get?

Athlete with anxiety

I have a daughter who is a sophomore in high school. She is in volleyball, basketball, and golf. She is a straight A...

Periodic Bursts of Fast Heart Beats during Cros...

Dear Ask the Doctor: I've recently started cross country in high school. The first couple of weeks of training was ...

Knee "Click" when exercising with bike

I am a fitness enthusiast. I have noticed a constant clicking in my left knee every time i go on my exercise bike is...

Knee pain in competitive basketball athlete

I am a very competitive basketball athlete. I play monday through friday 2 hours for a practice and 1 hour for a ga...

Bruising on inside of knees

After I run or do a leg workout I get a bruising on the inside of my knees. I'm a 42 year old male 5'8 and weigh 17...

Post Hernia surgery excercise concerns

I had an abdominal hernia about 10 yrs ago and had surgery to repair. There were no complications. I have been wor...

Soccer and growth

Can running for a child athlete stun growth? child has soccer practice 2 times a week for 2 hours

Acure Rotator Cuff injury after repetitive thro...

My Girlfriend was pitching in a softball game when her shoulder popped and sent sharp pain down her right arm. She f...

Blunt trauma to the abdomen with Previous Appen...

Dear doctor, I am a 23 years old, amature mix martial arts fighter. I had my appendix removed now about 2 years ago,...

Minimally Displaced Intra articular Avulsion Fr...

Hello Doctor, I am a 45 year old female who stubbed her toe 1 month ago. I thought it was nothing but after a month ...

Recovery time for Appendectomy

Apendex removed 20 days ago when can i practice sports?

Breathing while running

I have been running for many years and experiencing a problem with breathing. I can run 5-6 miles fairly easy but h...

Hip Pain When Playing Hockey

I have a pain in my left hip during exercise snd especially during hockey. I am a 42 year old male and was diagnose...

Persistent Elbow pain after Lifting

Back in Dec I started lifting weights again after a 3 or so month break. I developed what I believe is Tennis Elbow ...

Missed Period in Female Athlete

I am a 17 year old long distance runner and I have stopped getting my period because I'm just getting back into trai...

Treatment of Athlete's Foot

I think i have a bad case of athletes foot. I have redness, swelling, little bleeding, cracking skin and blistering....

Post Your Thoughts

Patient Comments

Guest Says: i have the same problem. hope it works