Question :

Ammenorea - A Sign Of Infertility?

I've "self diagnosed" myself with amenorrea. (I know doctors hate the term) I'm 23, 5'4" and between 116-117 lbs. I consider myself a healthy weight. Currently my average caloric intake post exercize is around 1,2000 calories. Recently I started exercising closer to one hour per day, six to seven days a week. Before this, I was exercising three to four days a week, on average only a half an hour. My caloric intake at the time was closer to 900 calories and I was also about three pounds lighter. At the time, I was getting full periods. This month I missed my period but still broke out a week before it was expected, and still received pre-menstaural camps, increased sexual desire, and when I was SUPPOSED to be having my period, I was still cramping. The period should have ceased by now and my cramping has subsided. I remember missing my period for three months when increasing my exercize regime, and one month over the past summer for the same. I never consider myself at an unhealthy weight and do a particular job at making sure my nutrient levels are in balance. This worries me because I would like to be healthy and fertile for the future. I'll schedule an appointment with a doctor in the coming month, but until then,how suverely is this current missed period a symptom of infertility? It has been about a year since this happened last.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
I do understand your concern, however it may be too premature to state that your underlying problem of amenorrhea is a sign of infertility. Amenorrhea can be a transient, intermittent, or permanent condition resulting from problems of the hypothalamus, pituitary, ovaries, uterus, or vagina. The menstrual cycle is susceptible to outside influences; thus, missing a single menstrual period is rarely important. However, if you have absence of menses for more than three cycles or six months, further evaluation should be done to rule out the cause of the secondary amenorrhea.
There are certain risk factors that predispose to amenorrhea. Decreased calorie intake, exercise, and stress may contribute to the pathogenesis of functional hypothalamic amenorrhea. Both weight loss below a certain target level (approximately 10 percent below ideal body weight) and exercise are associated with amenorrhea. Amenorrhea can be caused by nutritional deficiencies that are not associated with weigh loss or strenuous exercise. Emotional stress and stress induced by illness are additional causes of hypothalamic amenorrhea.
Since you will be seeing your doctor in a month's time, you may expect the following from your doctor. i) A pregnancy test to rule it our as the cause of amenorrhea. ii) A detailed history and physical examination. iii) Basic laboratory testing that may include measurement of serum hCG to rule out pregnancy, minimal laboratory testing should include measurements of serum prolactin, FSH, and TSH to test for hyperprolactinemia, ovarian failure, and thyroid disease. Some clinicians also measure 17-hydroxyprogesterone and dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEA-S) to look for an adrenal source of androgens. Following the results of these tests, your doctor may base his diagnosis or may request additional tests. I wish you well, take care.

Questions related to Weight Loss

Excessive thirst, urinating, and weight loss in...

My 10 year old has had excessive thirst, and urinating around the clock, even at night. I just weighed her this morni...

Will i lose weight like this

Im going to do the atkins diet with my friend. I want to lose weight... around twenty- thirty pounds. Some people say...

Help please, I don't know why my body looks lik...

I need help, no matter where I go I'm getting the same answer I need to lose weight. But thats not the problem, I don...

I'm worried about my weight

I lost weight last year, and now my cheeks are sunken and stuff and i've lost fat around my eyes and nose, should i b...

Struggling to lose weight

I am struggling to lose weight, I'm 5ft9 and 86kg, I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and have a personal trainer, I al...

Need help before moving forward

I want to invest into a waist trainer to eventually get down to a 23 inch waist, i am currently at a 26 inch waist. I...

How can I lose weight quickly as I am 34 years old

What is the fastest way to lose weight in a 34 year old male who has trouble doing so

Gaining weight despite exercise

Ok just a little back story, Ive always been a fat kid growing up I would say around the age of 18 I started to work ...

How many pounds will I lose from treadmill

I weigh 215 pounds i am 16 year old male.I am about 5'11 height. Around how many pounds i will lose from walking on a...

Will my breasts get smaller if I lose weight

i'm 16 weight 190 pounds and I wear a size F in my bra if I lose weight will my boobs get smaller?

What is the best program for weight loss?

hello im 14 and weigh 290 and im 5feet and 8 inches im tryin to loss 132 pound what program should I use?

Strange symptoms

Please help?

Can Sam-e be taken with phentermine?

Can Sam-e be taken with phentermine? Thanks

Need to lose weight fast

what should i use to help me lose weight fast? i have tried everything i just need one good product with positive res...

Why can't I lose weight?

I wake up then go for my morning run. Idk if i should eat breakfast before or after the run.(tell me which is better ...

Is 1200 calories enough if severely overweight?

Is a 1200 calorie diet healthy enough if severely overweight? I weigh roughly over 350 pounds, I'm not sure about my...

Pcos and cardio to lose weight

My name is Rebecca and I have insulin resistance and pcos. For the last month I have been very strict with my diet, ...

eating more yet still losing weight

hello, my weight was 59 since 2 months and all the period preceding i was on the same weight, but suddenly from 2 m...

Fits disease in children

Doctor, my cousin, now 3 yrs old, is suffering from some kind of disease like fits. When he was almost 1 yr old, he w...

Weight loss

I am gaining weight. I am working Women and i feel body swelling day by day. i don't eat much. now a days i have star...

Prescription weight loss

why would TROKENDI XR be prescribed for weight loss, there is no history of seizures or migraines.

Diet/Fat Loss pills

Is it safe to take these pills? I am a 19 year old female. http://www.populardietpills.net/phenrx/

3 months of workouts and diet changes, no weigh...

I am a 30 year old female, weight is 217 and height is 5'6. I have been working out for 3 months with a trainer 3x a ...

The Dukan Diet Advice

Hello! Last year ( 01.05.2011.) I started dieting. I stopped eating sweets, snacks, cut down carbs, started eating m...

Is gaining weight in the early stage of exercis...

I started exercising about a month ago and also changed my diet. but ma problem is that i have gained weight , not s...

Post Your Thoughts