Question :

Bulimia Nervosa: Signs, Symptoms and Management

Hello, I have been reading up on bulimia, and I think that I may be bulimic.I eat frequently and a lot, so much that I am embarrassed and unable to remember everything I ate. I feel helpless and pathetic; I do not know what to do. If I am not eating a ton, I am eating too little; there is no balance for me. I cannot help myself, I have tried writing down what I eat, but it does not help. This is a psychological problem and I do not think that I can do anything. I am starting to hate myself. I need your help; please, please help me.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
I do believe you may have bulimia; periods of eating a larger amount of food than most people do followed by compensatory behaviour (vomiting, laxatives, in your case, fasting or eating too little) are features of bulimia, especially if these episodes happen >2x a week for 3 months. I suggest you consult a psychologist or psychiatrist to help deal with your problem. A trustworthy relationship with a therapist will help you identify (and subsequently, avoid) certain triggers. There are also drugs which may be used for bulimia (Fluoxetine) but a prescription is needed for this. I presume you are still in the early stages of bulimia which means that there is so much hope for you; it will be a tough battle but you can beat it. I do hope I have helped you in some way and I wish you all the best. Take care.

Questions related to Adolescent Nutrition

Better Nutrition Advice for Growth and Puberty

Hello, I am 14, going 15 this upcoming November, I havent hit my growth spurt yet, and is starting at the Stage 3 of...

Had bloodwork done not thyroid or gloucouse

I am having irragular periods swelling and pain of my lower back, hips,knees ancles ,and feet,bloating painfull inter...

Too much screens?

I'm 14, and for the past year or so I have been watching 2-3 hours of screens per day, and I get to bed at 10:00 and ...

stomach problems

Im 16 and my stomach gets really bad pain, not heartburn pain. Bloating all the time and on and off random diarrhea. ...

My mind playing with me?

My eyes get dry immediately after eating sugar sometimes (when I focus on the fact that I am eating sugar rather than...

Baking for a friend with a wheat allergy and co...

I have a friend who always asks me to make an apple pie for his birthday. He has recently spent a month in the hospit...

supplements

are there any safe and effective weight loss supplements for teenagers?

Daily Calorie requirements for a 13 years old girl

I am a 13 year old girl, 5 foot 2 inches and 87 pounds. I know i'm underweight, because i only take in 800 - 1000 ca...

Long Term Laxative Use And Side Effects

Dear Sir or Madam I am suffering from an anal fissure and need to be on laxatives. Precisely laxido 1-2 sachets per...

Height problem for girls

Hi i am sonalika. I am 15 years old. i am 5.1 . My mom is 5.2 and my dad is 5.9 Is it possible to grow after 15 year...

Daughter experiencing umbilical abdominal pain

I am a concern mother of a 17 year old senior daughter she has been having abdominal pain like a sharp knife around ...

If I take an additional Btwelve supplement with...

I'm 15, and have been experiencing bad moods and fatigue. Would it be harmful to take a vitamin B12 supplement of 50...

Is the medifast diet safe in pregnancy?

Dear doctors, I am 16 weeks pregnant and I am considering medifast diet which has been recommended to me by my frien...

My Face Swells When I Eat?

Hello, I am an 18-year-old girl who has been recovering from a low-calorie diet for the past several months. The s...

How can I get Rid of My Acne?

Hello, i just 17, and i have loads of acnes, have tried severial medication bt its still comes back.

Powerade Drink - Is it good for children?

Please can you advise me if Powerade, an Isotonic drink by Coca Cola is harmful to a 9 year old child? Is it any mor...

Can Stress and Anxiety in Puberty Affect Growth?

I didn't get the right nutrition when going through puberty because I had a lot of anxiety. I can tell it had a phys...

Caloric Intake recommended for a 16 years old girl

I am a 16 year old girl, weighing around 117. My height is 5'2. How many calories per day do I need to maintain my w...

Niacin and liver toxicity

I'm taking 500mg of Niacin a day, is that safe, like for my liver? would 1000 or 1500mg be safe? 18 female.

Post Your Thoughts