Question :

I'm Drinking Alcohol Every Night. Is it okay?

Hello, i am a 35 male who has been drinking 375ml of white bacardi rum every night since i was 21 years old, i drink it every night between 9:30 and 11:30, i drink it because it relaxes me and i am able to sleep better,aside from small hangovers that consist of light head throbbing i don't notice any problem, i enjoy this ritual, can i continue or will i die before i'm 50 if i continue. i exercise 3 times a week and don't go over 375ml.ps. when i said i drink every night i mean every night.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
I am confronted with these type of questions daily in my practice.
Some individuals, like yourself, would like to know when they will feel the negative effects of their habits.
Other individuals, support their negative habits by pointing out nothing has happened yet and therefore will never happen in the future.
All I can say is that in medicine we can not predict your future health out come but we can predict what is more probable to happen in you as opposed to someone without your habits. Genetics of course plays a strong role in outcome as well.
The only thing I can say is that there are consequences to not living an active, productive life with moderation of dietary habits.  The consequences of continued high alcohol ingestion is liver cirrhosis and failure. Once liver disease is in an advanced stage, there are no cures and treatments are of limited benefits.

Questions related to Alcohol Abuse

Combining klonopin and alcohol

Will taking 3 mg of klonopin and drinking 3 beers cause liver damage?

Unusual symptom of over-drinking

Someone i know will sometimes lean his upper body in a strange way after drinking a lot. What does this mean?

Headache and Weakness Four Days After Drinking

I was hospitalized four days ago for consuming too much alcohol. Four days later, I still have a constant headache an...

Alcohlic relapse, alcohol abuse

Hi my mother in law has had a alcohol relapse the past week and she has started vomiting and it is black, she will no...

What could cause me to have muscle spasms and g...

Three weeks ago I drank somewhat heavily and woke up the next morning with something twitching right below my left ri...

Drinking everyday and trying to quit

What are the chances of me getting rid of my alcohol addiction by going cold turkey? Is this the best method? Curren...

Very strange and energetic behavior

My friend is acting really energetic. Their pupils are very small, their hands are extremely cold to the touch, and ...

Breathing difficulty after taking speed

Hello i went to a party two nights ago and i stupidly took some speed with my friends and never slept all night i go...

Extreme Chills no Fever

My husband last night got the chills no fever just could not get warm, after a few hours took 2 ibprobfan an it pass...

Can I consume alcohol if I've been diagnosed wi...

I've been affected by hepatitis A. Can I consume alcohol or beer? If no, for how many days I should not consume?

Problem in consuming Alcohol

I am a man 48 years of age. I used to be a regular drinker of alcohol and I did enjoy it as much as I liked to drink...

Liver pain after consuming alcohol

I have a pain under my right rib cage and I think it is my liver as it is worse after I have had a drink of alcohol....

Increased alcohol intake and dehydration with o...

My father recently was discharged from the emergancy room with a diagnosis of Orthostatic Hypotension and Near-Synco...

Night sweats improve with alcohol intake

I have been having night sweats for the past year. I'm an otherwise healthy, average weight, 35 years old female. ...

Alcohol and prednisone intake.

Is it ok to drink alchohol 4 days after takin prednisolone?

Alcohol, acetaminophen use and liver damage .

For the last 2 nights in a row, I consumed 3-4 glasses of wine and then took NeoCitron 1-2 hours later. I did not re...

Alcohol intake and effects

I just had a health check which was fine - including liver function. But for my waistline, my doctor suggested I dr...

Are These Alcohol Withdrawal Symptoms?

My boyfriend will have episodes where he gets in these moods and he will kinda act drunk but he's not drinking (he i...

Alcoholism and high white blood cell count

Hi I recently had a blood test taken(CBC)and itcame back showing that my white blood cells were high.I had a secon...

Concerned About Possible Alcohol Poisoning

Hi, my friend has drank an extremely large amount roughly 24hours ago and is suffering symtoms of panic attacks, fev...

Is consuming margarita bad for health?

I am a 30 years old female with a very tight and hectic schedule. Due to the stress I started to consume one to two ...

Swollen ankles

I was recently taken to eht hospital with chest pains and found out I was extremely low on potassium. I anm now on p...

Drinking alcohol post gallstone pancreatitis

I was hospitalized March 16th for gallstones and had to have my gallbladder removed on the 17th. I am a 21 year old ...

Recommended Daily Alcohol Intake in Men

I drink 6 beer per night along with taking medication to help me sleep better which I do. Without either one of thes...

Husband taking new med

My husband was diagnosed with high bloob pressure and was prescribed 40mg once per day of Micardis oral yesterday. ...

Post Your Thoughts