Causes of food regurgitation

Dear Ask The Doctor:  Hi. My name is Mike. I'm wondering about regurgitation - I've deliberately regurgitated my food for as long as i can remember. When it comes back into my mouth - it doesn't taste bitter or acidic (like vomit would), but rather it actually tastes good - like i'm re-chewing nice food. I think its kind of a gross habit - and kind of embarrassing - so i try to stop but don't have the discipline i guess. i've learned that when i eat a big meal - regurgitation is more likely to follow than if i eat a small meal. also - if i cause myself to regurgitate once, repetition is likely to follow. Question - is this condition (non-acidic regurgitation) common? Question - is regurgitated food unhealthy for my teeth/mouth, even if its not acidic? Question - is this habit physically unhealthy in any other way? (if it is - it might give me more motivation [besides embarrassment] to stop) thanks for reading my question Mike

Dear Patient:  Regurgitation can be a symptom of several disorders such as: achalasia, gastro-oesophageal reflux disease, hiatus hernia, oesophageal malignant growth and even some types of psychosomatic disorders. I would advise attending your family doctor for a detailed history and clinical examination. He may refer you to a gastroenterologist for further investigations including endoscopy; barium swallow; chest x-ray or oesophageal pH monitoring to help reach a diagnosis in your case.

Please login or signup to post comments!

SEARCH: