Question :

Intense pain under right breast when stretching or reaching

I am a female, 34 and have been experiencing pain exactly under my right breast, at my ribcage for the past two weeks. I had no incident or accident so i rule out something like a bruised or broken rib. The pain is mainly when i move especially if stretching or reaching for something, or by touching , laying on this side. The pain is quite intense, like a stabbing sensation. If i touch this area, exactly under the breast, i can feel a long stringy bulge, like a strained muscle. I stopped exercising since and i went to the doctor. He gave me anti-inflammatory meds for 2 days but the pain is still there. Do i need to visit another doctor?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Based on your description, most likely you may have experiencing a Intercostal Neuritis or Costochodritis, which is not a serious condition but very annoying indeed and slow healing. By a spasm or a direct trauma the intercostals muscles and nerves got injured, and that’s why you are feeling that stabbing pain every time you take a deep breath, sneeze or cough. The suggested strategy would be: please, try to be patient and do not expect an overnight improvement, take anti inflammatory medication (“Aleve”, “Motrin”), and also Vitamin B12 supplement. Local moist heat helps to ease the pain. Try to avoid activities that worsen the pain.

Questions related to Muscle Pain

NECK PAIN, TENSE MUSCLE, CANT MOVE MY NECK LEFT...

Is DICLOFENCE 8% PLOGEL - good for tense neck muscle ? My neck is been hurting bad for last 2 days and my doc recomm...

Neck Pain with burning/tingling sensation

What could cause a burning/tingling sensation, in the neck, with pain that resembles a limb being asleep for too long?

Muscle and joint pain loss of strength

I am a 49 y o m . the meds I am on are, coversyl 8 mg, bisoprolol 10 mg, rosuvastatin 20 mg, pantroprazole 40 mg. so...

Severe Legs pain with swelling

Dear Doctor, I am a 24 year old Type 1 Diabetic who has had sharp pains mainly in my legs for about seven months n...

Martial arts problem: side splits pain

I didn't want to search my problem because I have tried that already. None had the answer that I wanted or one that w...

Leg spasm and possible nerve issue

What is causing quadricept right leg spasm, cramps, pain radiating into my hip and knee. Has been going on for over a...

Rhabdomyolysis - Muscle Pain

Should I be concerned with the muscle pain I am experiencing following my rhabdomyolysis? Seven days ago I began an i...

muscle pain does not go away

after many different types of pushups, my triceps began to hurt. two days later, they hurt even more. arms have to re...

Zanaflex and Bystolic

My Dr prescribed zanaflex 4mg for muscle spasms. I already take bystolic 10mg for rapid heart beat will they interact...

chest pain upper right side

dear sir M Jagesh singh 29 year ..i have some fitness problem which i want to discuss... before 8 month...

Magnesium Vb6, Divido, Midocalm. Which one?

it started 4 months ago when I walked about 5 to 6 hrs in a hunting trip wearing a heavy pouch but i neglected the pa...

work in factory and pulled abdominal muscle pai...

I work in a factory where I have to lift heavy objects. As I was walking with a heavy object, I felt a 'pop' in my le...

Back Pain at age 18.

Is it normal to get back pain at 18

Extreme lunge may have caused knee strain

Hello, I am in the 8th grade and I am taking P.E. Today, I was stretching and when I went to start to lunge. I wasn'...

Triceps pain with workouts

My left tricep hurts when i workout. i've been working out for over a year. should i rest it? if so, how long for?

Tingling in arm and fingers at night

Cant find this choice. tingling in right arm mostly at night no mater how i lay in bed. numbness in arm and tinglein...

Active middle aged man waking up achy and soar

I run 3 times a week, and lift a couple times a week. I have noticed that I never wake up without feeling achy and s...

Cramps in the thigh muscles during sitting in c...

I was been sat in science one day and my muscle in my left rear thigh started cramping and the nurse had to be calle...

Statin induced muscle weakness and pain

What can I do to counteract the Statin induced muscle weakness and pain?

Chest pain when I breathe, could it be costocho...

Sir, i have been suffering from some sort of chest pain for some 4 days or so. The pain basically occurs during the ...

Excruciating pain in hip flexor when leg is str...

Whenever I stretch my right leg backwards to do the splits or any other stretch, I get an extremely sharp and awful ...

Sore Joints and Achy Legs

A year ago, I started a job where I walked around outside on job sites most of the day (8 hours). My knee would hurt...

Pulled calf muscle two days ago

I was playing softball and pulled my left calf muscle. Can not put any weight on it and can not flex my foot in eith...

Help with Chronic Calf Cramps

Hello, Doctor. I am an 18 year old male, 162 pounds, 5 foot 11 inches. I have been getting serious calf cramps for ...

Muscle Spasms or Cramps??

I have two questions to ask: when i was in 6th grade i fell on my behind and sprained a muscle in my upper right thi...

Post Your Thoughts