Question :

Suffering from asthma and obesity - Need help!

Hi, im 16 im 14 stone, i have really bad asthma and find it hard to do much exercise, i eat normal and watch what i eat but i never seem to lose weight, i get badly bullied because of my weight and i have really had enough, is there anything i can do?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
I do understand your problem with asthma and weight gain. Not only is it difficult to do certain exercises with asthma but certain asthma medications (corticosteroids) can increase your hunger and also lead to weight gain.
It is important to have a focused attitude and I am encouraged that you are willing to take the appropriate steps of deal with both asthma and weight loss. Studies have shown that weight loss has benefited women with asthma. Reducing body weight should decrease the prevalence of asthma, or at least decrease asthma related symptoms or admission to the hospital.
The first important step you need to take is to talk to your doctor and plan an appropriate diet and medical plan. You will also need to chalk a diet that avoids foods rich in calories. Eating more fruits and vegetables, lean protein and whole grains will help.
An active lifestyle is a necessary component for weight loss. Be sure to talk to your doctor before you start any new exercise routine. Certain cardio exercise have been known to benefit asthmatics. Engage in activities that require deep breathing.  Some examples of this are Tai Chi and yoga.
It is important that you never give up. Often you can encourage other family members to also follow your healthy lifestyle if you are determined. I wish you well, take care.

Questions related to Obesity

Bariatric Surgery, Marijuana, and Anesthesia

Tomorrow morning I will be undergoing laproscopic bariatric surgery. I smoked marijuana two days ago. (During the p...

Why do my breast sag and why do I have stretch ...

Why do my breast sag/have stretch marks?

Getting fatter and sader by the day

Iam 51 years old. In March I spent the night in hospital for cardiac monitoring I had many test . Labs for thyroid . ...

obesity

My daughter is 6 years old and weigh 94 pounds. She is only 4 foot is this a problem. She also is very active..

Bariatric surgery

can I have bariatric surgery If I had lipo and tummy tuck in the past 9years my weight is 267 and I have health iss...

weight and hicupps

if I drink 5 cups of green tea a day how much clories will I lose and im 12

130 pounds and 5 feet tall and need to lose weight

i am 13 and i really want to lose weight. i weigh 150pounds and i am only 5 feet tall. i was just wondering if you ha...

My tummy

Hi my name is Rosa and I have I guess what you would call an hanging stomach I've had it sense I was very young ( may...

Worried about waist size

i'm worried about the size of my waist it's 37 inches, my tummy hangs over all my clothes and wobbles when i walk or ...

Weigh close to 325kg and have been bedridden fo...

my name is alex and im 22, i have been a big guy all my life but in the last couple of years I have just got bigger. ...

Gastric Bypass Surgery at too much weight?

Hi, My uncle has obesity problem, he weighs 215 kg's approximately, after a long time he wants to have a Gastric Bypa...

Tips to overcome Obesity

I am obese.. I am gonna get married in 2 months. I want to loose weight fast... I do not have any other medical probl...

13 year old with weight issues

Hi im 13 years old and i weigh 160 lbs and im 5'1". I eat ALOT but i cant help it im never full. I had a large frie...

Increased sweating - could it be genetic?

Although i am healthy , but i sweat more in the summer season compare to other people , there is sweating from all p...

Pregnancy and gastric bypass

Is there a risk of not being able to get pregnant after having a gastric bypass?

Itchy Anus and Blood in stools

For a while now I have had an umbearabley itchy rectum. I haven't done anything about it as I thought that it would ...

Diverticlosis diabetic diet?

I have been diagnosed with diverticosis, I am looking for a diet for me to follow that will be healthy for me sence I...

Losing Weight and Maintaining a Healthy Lifestyle

Hello, thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I am an 18 year old male who is completely healthy excep...

How do I help my friend reduce weight?

This actually is a question about a friend. He has always been a big boy but over the past few years it has gotten w...

Trying to get lap band surgery

Is lap band surgery safe for morbidly obese with clogged arteries

Liver enzymes too high, why??

My daughter (21 yr old)went to her ob for birth control. routine test showed 'high' liver enzymes. She was also diag...

Gastric Bypass Surgery is Reserved as a Last Re...

Hi, I am having gastric bypass surgery and I was wondering if this is the best surgery for me. Can you tell me about...

Bariatric Weight Loss Surgery

I am over 100 lbs over my ideal weight, I have hypertension, sleep apnea, and hypothyroidism. My job is very sedent...

Gastric banding and Gastric bypass surgery

Is it possible to have the banding surgery years after having the bypass surgery?

Hypothyroidism associated with weight gain

How does hypothyroidism affect weight loss?

Post Your Thoughts