Question :

Losing Weight and Maintaining a Healthy Lifestyle

Hello, thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I am an 18 year old male who is completely healthy except for being approximately 20-25 pounds overweight. I have battled with my weight my entire life and am from a family of large people. I'm heading off to college and know that maintaing a healthy weight is even more important during these next years. My problem is that I have become so disheartened by previous attempts to control my weight that I really don't know the best approach to take. My typical attempt is some type of new diet (no-carbs, low-fat, less than 1000 calories a day) paired with exercise (pre-cor machine and weights at the gym) three to five times a week. Every time I try this for three months or so, lose two to four pounds, and become disheartened by the lack of results. Basically my question is this -- what is the best way to lose and then maintain a healthy weight? Do I just need to push harder with diet and exercise or is there a certain approach that might work better. Should I turn to products like Alli (Orlistat) to help me with this problem? How can I shed some pounds and keep them off? Thanks so much!

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
While each individual is different the general adviced and proven way to loose weight is to stick to  healthy eating and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.Crash and new diets will help you reduce weight but will not help keeing that weight off. I would advice you to seek help regarding your diet from a professional dietician who will be able to guide you better after assessing your currrent diet. The general rule is to reduce fats and carbs and increase the protein intake. Moreover you will also need to start exercising vigourously the theory being you need to loose more enegry than that you are recieving through food. Alli can be taken however I would first advice you to start on this other method. You need to achieve a BMI between 20-25 which is considered normal. I hope this helps. All the best.

Questions related to Obesity

Bariatric Surgery, Marijuana, and Anesthesia

Tomorrow morning I will be undergoing laproscopic bariatric surgery. I smoked marijuana two days ago. (During the p...

Why do my breast sag and why do I have stretch ...

Why do my breast sag/have stretch marks?

Getting fatter and sader by the day

Iam 51 years old. In March I spent the night in hospital for cardiac monitoring I had many test . Labs for thyroid . ...

obesity

My daughter is 6 years old and weigh 94 pounds. She is only 4 foot is this a problem. She also is very active..

Bariatric surgery

can I have bariatric surgery If I had lipo and tummy tuck in the past 9years my weight is 267 and I have health iss...

weight and hicupps

if I drink 5 cups of green tea a day how much clories will I lose and im 12

130 pounds and 5 feet tall and need to lose weight

i am 13 and i really want to lose weight. i weigh 150pounds and i am only 5 feet tall. i was just wondering if you ha...

My tummy

Hi my name is Rosa and I have I guess what you would call an hanging stomach I've had it sense I was very young ( may...

Worried about waist size

i'm worried about the size of my waist it's 37 inches, my tummy hangs over all my clothes and wobbles when i walk or ...

Weigh close to 325kg and have been bedridden fo...

my name is alex and im 22, i have been a big guy all my life but in the last couple of years I have just got bigger. ...

Gastric Bypass Surgery at too much weight?

Hi, My uncle has obesity problem, he weighs 215 kg's approximately, after a long time he wants to have a Gastric Bypa...

Tips to overcome Obesity

I am obese.. I am gonna get married in 2 months. I want to loose weight fast... I do not have any other medical probl...

13 year old with weight issues

Hi im 13 years old and i weigh 160 lbs and im 5'1". I eat ALOT but i cant help it im never full. I had a large frie...

Increased sweating - could it be genetic?

Although i am healthy , but i sweat more in the summer season compare to other people , there is sweating from all p...

Suffering from asthma and obesity - Need help!

Hi, im 16 im 14 stone, i have really bad asthma and find it hard to do much exercise, i eat normal and watch what i ...

Pregnancy and gastric bypass

Is there a risk of not being able to get pregnant after having a gastric bypass?

Itchy Anus and Blood in stools

For a while now I have had an umbearabley itchy rectum. I haven't done anything about it as I thought that it would ...

Diverticlosis diabetic diet?

I have been diagnosed with diverticosis, I am looking for a diet for me to follow that will be healthy for me sence I...

How do I help my friend reduce weight?

This actually is a question about a friend. He has always been a big boy but over the past few years it has gotten w...

Trying to get lap band surgery

Is lap band surgery safe for morbidly obese with clogged arteries

Liver enzymes too high, why??

My daughter (21 yr old)went to her ob for birth control. routine test showed 'high' liver enzymes. She was also diag...

Gastric Bypass Surgery is Reserved as a Last Re...

Hi, I am having gastric bypass surgery and I was wondering if this is the best surgery for me. Can you tell me about...

Bariatric Weight Loss Surgery

I am over 100 lbs over my ideal weight, I have hypertension, sleep apnea, and hypothyroidism. My job is very sedent...

Gastric banding and Gastric bypass surgery

Is it possible to have the banding surgery years after having the bypass surgery?

Hypothyroidism associated with weight gain

How does hypothyroidism affect weight loss?

Post Your Thoughts