Question :

Eating healthy increased my cholesterol?

Six weeks ago my doctor told me my cholesterol was high and to change my diet. I already avoided fried foods but I cut out all candy, only ate low fat foods, ate more fiber, fruits, vegetables, and lean meats. To my dismay, my cholesterol actually increased. How can this happen if I was eating the prescribed low fat diet?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
High blood cholesterol levels can be hereditary. Stress can also increase cholesterol levels. There are a number of foods that contain saturated fat or trans fat; if you had those kinds of fat that could be causing it. If you were having salads and the dressings you preferred were cream-based (ranch, caesar), then that can also increase your cholesterol levels. If you are really bothered with the high cholesterol levels you are having, incorporate exercise in your regimen. Exercise coupled with dietary changes can have dramatic declines in cholesterol levels. In my personal opinion, six weeks is too soon to re-test cholesterol levels. Try to exercise and continue eating healthy (avoid cream based dressings and use vinaigrettes instead), then after 3 – 6 mos, request your doctor to repeat blood cholesterol tests. I do hope I have appeased your concern and take care always.

Questions related to Cholesterol

Ldl/hdl ratio validilty

I'm 63 5'4" 118 lb female with a ldl/hdl ratio of 1.9, but my doctor seems to be concerned with my hdl of 272 ??

LDL Cholesterol

I am 30 years old and my cholesterol report is showing 180 LDL. From online sources, it seems like Avacado/day helps ...

Is it safe for a person to eat liver if they ha...

Is it safe for a person with a stint in the heath to eat liver.

Am I in danger of a heart attack? Or do I have ...

My heart was hurting two weeks ago. And for the past 3 days I had short breath. What might I have?

Problem in AST ALT, and CHOLESTEROL, TRIGLYCERIDES

Hello i am 32 year old on my blood test report i found my AST and ALT is high or Cholesterol Triglycerides is low P...

Blocked arteries in both legs - management opti...

My husband is 62 yrs old and has just been told his arteries are blocked in both legs..what should he do

Is whey protein safe for me?

Hello, I would like to know if taking whey protien drinks will contribute to high cholesterol levels. I am now down...

I'm vegan and my triglyceride levels are high n...

Hi, I recently had a blood test and most of my results were good - iron, b12, calcium, Vit D, cholestoral, thyroid, ...

Management of high bp and high cholesterol

I have a total cholesterol of 274 mg by dl out of which LDL is 190 and HDL is 45. Also my SGOT and SGPT levels which...

Methods to improve lipid levels

I want to know my how to decrese ldl cholesterol and reduce liver fuction ast,alt

Impact of High Fat Diet on Cholesterol Levels

I normally eat a good diet that is low in fats, red meat, desserts, etc. I recently went on vacation for two weeks (...

Cholesterol, triglycerides, bilirubin and albumin

Hi, What is the connection between bilirubin, cholesterol, triglycerin and albumin? Does high cholesterol and trigly...

LDL cholesterol elevation despite statin therapy

Had blood work done again. been on 20 mg of pravastin for 3 years. 2 years blood work came back great. this one trig...

Desirable cholesterol levels

My cholesterol is 245. Is this high enough to warrant high cholesterol medication?

Dietary sources to raise HDL cholesterol

I' am a woman age 60 yrs.old.I take Niasin 500 everyday,for cholesterol lowering factors.My triglycerides 163,&...

Cholesterol And Pregnancy

Hi. I would like to know if stress, depression,improper sleep patterns could contribute high level of cholesterol. C...

Elevated fasting blood lipid levels

I recently attended a health fair at work where I had my cholesterol and triglyceride levels checked. My triglyceri...

Trial of diet and lifestyle modification for a ...

I am a female and 52 years old. I'm living in Mexico and recently had blood work done to check my Cholesterol &...

MIBI or myocardial perfusion scan

I recently had a mibi test. The doctor mentioned something about heart function being at 50%- 75%. Mine was 52% so h...

Lifestyle modifications to lower triglyceride l...

I am mid 36, i am taking the siddha treatment for less count of sperms and motility, and i have high level triglycer...

Post Your Thoughts