Question :

Calf strain after step aerobics class

I took a step aerobics class on a step platform with 3 risers (it was high) Tough class, felt great . Came home, went outside and ran up my brick steps (13) back into the house. I heard a "ping" sound like a guitar string breaking ) in my left calf. Could hardly walk. 4 days of pain, I waited for 2 weeks to run on it or lift weights. 2 weeks later, I ran on it, lifted weights (using machines), felt great. Stepped into a pool minutes later (on my left leg) and it spasmed and I almost fell. Couldn't walk on it for a couple days (limped). Another 2 weeks, I have run on it on and off but still every few days, if I step funny or sprint to catch up with kids, I still feel it. Why isn't it healing? What went 'ping'?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
 The calf muscle is made up of three muscles. The two heads of the gastrocnemeius and the soleus, these three muscles end in a common tendon: the Achilles tendon. Usually the complaint is a sharp intense pain after a sudden or straining move. If you have a partial tear or complete rupture of the calf muscle then physical activity and weight-bearing will be impossible for 4-12 weeks depending on the injury. If you are suffering just from inflammation of the muscle then you can resume training Step after 7-10 days. Ineffective warm up and warm down routines can lead to calf strains. Calf strains can be caused by dehydration. Deficiencies in calcium, trace minerals and magnesium can also lead calf strains. Therefore I would recommend you to ensure adequate water intake and multi minerals. One of the most common causes is a condition called over pronation. Over pronation basically means that your feet are rolling over too much as you run or exercise which causes excessive pressure on the calf muscle and Achilles tendon.  Initial treatment should consist of ice packs. You can also use a wet towel that has been in the fridge or commercially available ice packs for focused pain relief. An anti-inflammatory medication such as Ibuprofen (“Motrin”, “Aleve”) will help you to reduce the swelling, this should be taken with meals and never before exercising .I recommend you complete rest for 5 days for a mild calf strain and then a gradual increase in training. Massaging the calf also helps to speed up recovery. View the calf Massager with four free rolling heads it’s particularly good at giving yourself a deep calf massage.

Questions related to Exercise

Why do I have a big stomach when I'm 10

Hey I'm 10 years old and I think I'm fat. I have lower stomach fat but skinny arms. My sister told me that's its not ...

Pain in right lung while exercising

Hi. i am a healthy 18 year old girl and i have been exercising for basically my entire life. I havent had many proble...

Correct Exercise and Caloric Intake for 6'1, 26...

I am a 26 year old, 6'1 male, and over a year ago I lost 25 or so pounds due to a healthier diet and increased exerci...

Surgery-free bow leg remedies

Hello, I am a person who's been living with bow legs for the past 17 years and would like to know any surgery-free re...

Post Exercise Hypotension with light headedness

My normal blood pressure is around 120/80, sometimes a bit lower. After I exercise lately I noticed I was feeling...

Me and my big gut

So I've always had a gut since I was a little girl, didn't eat properly etc. I am now 22 and my weight has always bee...

100-200 pushups a day?

I am 13 years old. Will doing 100-200 pushups a day help me build muscle? If so how long will it take to notice results?

I exercise all the time

I exercise all the time and cant seem to loose weight I don't eat and I gain more weight?!

lower abdominal cramps

I have been experiencing lower abdominal cramps for the past year or so a few minutes after a run of 7 minutes or mor...

Growing taller

I am 15 years old an just recently started my period. Only had two I am 5 2 1/2 and I'm wondering if I will grow anym...

started exercising and now cold and mucus in my...

hey , my BMI is 25.5, so started exercising few months back but , i got sick after 3-4 days , i am getting cold and m...

When to take a shower after workout if i don't ...

Hello doctor! I workout every morning. I used to take a shower immediately after workout. But i heard it's bad and o ...

Help growing taller at 18 years of age.

I heard from my grandma (a nurse) and she said that a doctor said that you can grow taller until about the age of 21 ...

Cardio issues to worry about?

In July 2011 I fractured my heel. I was instructed to stay completly off of it so I did. I than got divorced and los...

Knee Arthritis and walking

Hello, I have a mild case of arthritis in my left knee. My doctor told me I should bike ride and not walk as exercis...

Young woman with congenital spinal stenosis wan...

I have congenital spinal stenosis and a year ago i had three prolapsed discs. I am seeing an osteopath and its being...

Neck pain after a few minutes while running.

I recently started incorporating running into my workout. I noticed that after running for a few minutes, I get a pa...

Swollen ankles after standing or walking for a ...

In these couple of years, my ankles will tend to swell after standing or walking for a period of time. Recently, whi...

Dull pain in my left calf after using treadmill

I had a kindergarten student jump on his chair when I was kneeling behind it and the weight hit my left knee which c...

Best exercise program for obesity and hypertension

I am 48 year old male have high bp overweight and get shortness of breath i do smoke what is the best exercise proga...

Exercising After Hernia Repair in January 2012

I'm a 56 year old male who has worked out with weights since my teens,had an open incisional hernia repaired, result...

How effective are Testosterone implants?

I'm 66 and just joined a gym recently and have been tired but thought it was from working out. I read a book by Susa...

Armpits developing foam

When i run or workout that involve my hands moving my armpits develop this foam and i dont know where it comes from....

SIgA levels are low due to intense exercise

I have been taking part in high intense exercise for the past 6 months. During this time i have been more vulnerable...

Heart Rate Does Not Increase After Exercise

Hi - I am an obese male, 38 yrs old, living in the UK. I recently started an exercise regime; boxing on a punchbag, ...

Post Your Thoughts