Question :

No Gestational Sac Growth

My wife is 37. A vaginal ultrasound one week ago showed gestational sac and yolk sac. She believes she got pregnant about 1 week after Valentine's Day. A second vaginal ultrasound yesterday (1 week after the first) showed gestational sac and yolk sac, but no embryo. And importantly, it showed no growth in gestational sac (I'm not sure if this means absolutely no growth, or very little growth). My question is, is failure of the gestational sac to grow as expected, at this point in time, indicative that there WILL be a miscarriage? Or is it POSSIBLE that despite the lack of growth, she could have a viable pregnancy. My research indicates that blighted ova occur when the sac continues to grow, but no embryo grows. What about when the sac DOESN'T continue to grow between, say, the 4th and 5th week. In such a situation, is miscarriage CERTAIN? If she is not bleeding or infected or in pain, is there any medical downside to waiting another week or two before deciding to have a dc?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
I do understand your concern about a blighted ovum. However, ultrasound done early in the gestation cannot reliably diagnose a pregnancy. Transabdominal ultrasound cannot reliably diagnose pregnancies that are less than 6 weeks gestation. Transvaginal ultrasound, by contrast, can detect pregnancies earlier, at approximately 4 ½ to 5 weeks gestation. Sometimes it may take serial ultrasounds to confirm a diagnosis. You may even consult your doctor for quantitative HCG analysis. A rising level of HCG will indicate a viable pregnancy. If the next ultrasound shows nothing in the sac, it is either a blighted ovum (which means a baby did not form, only the sac) or it is a pseudo sac (fake sac). I wish you well and do hope for a positive outcome.

Questions related to Pregnancy Loss

Preterm Labor (GBS) 22 weeks, HELP?

Hello, I have a question regarding my preterm labor. I am 23 years old, and I was 22 weeks pregnant with my baby. My ...

Positive pregnancy test, but was bleeding? Am I...

So my last period was May 25, 2014. I was getting a few symptoms like nausea & breasts hurting. I went into a cl...

No period after abortion

I havent had a period. Its been 5 weeks since my abortion. Is this normal

Healthy pregnancy

Hi, I am currently six weeks pregnant, I had two blood draws. My first result were good, two days after I had another...

PV loss query

I have recently been experiencing some PV blood loss after organisms, usually through clitoral stimulation but also d...

Is this a miscarriage

I had sex 5 month ago and I haven't had my period since but I never took a pregnancy test and last night this came ou...

am I having miscarriage

About 12 weeks ago I had sec with fiance. Since then I started goimng off foods, moods were up and down and just didn...

Miscarriage at home. Do I need rogaine shot?

I have O- blood and had a miscarriage at home last night should I go get a Rogaine shot?

Had unprotected sex a day after ovulation

Had unprotected sex a day after ovulation. A few days later I had extremely bad abdominal pain and where my ovary is ...

Pregnancy After Recurrent Loss

I am a 33 year old woman currently pregnant with twins (naturally conceived - no fertility drugs). Prior to this pre...

could I be having a miscarriage after having a ...

Ok im hoping im chose the right category and sorry if this is gross just wanna be as thorough as possible. Ok I had a...

no period after miscarriage

I had a miscarriage a little over 6 weeks ago and I still haven't had a period. Negative pregnancy tests. Is this nor...

Can I take ibuprofen and/or domperidone if I am...

hi good day.. I'm expecting to have my period this april 22 caused my last period was march 22 i think I'm pregnant b...

Multiple miscarriages, why is this happening?

Hi, im 21 years old and had 3 miscarriages in the past year and a half. My first pregnancy ended in my 20 weeks, and ...

Sudden leg aches last night, faint positive pre...

Hi, I've had 3 miscarriages in a row and am waiting to be seen by a specialist. My next period is due tomorrow and ...

Can car cleaning chemicals lead to miscarriage?

Im pregnant and im a car detailer. We use some harsh chemicals when we clean cars. Could that cause a miscarriage and...

I miscarried at 5 weeks and bled heavy afterwards

Hi I miscarried at 5-6 weeks I bled heavy for 1 day and lightly bled for 3 bleeding has stopped just spots I had no p...

miscarrying after 42 days for 5 times now

Hi, I have been trying to get pregnant for about 1 and 1/2 years now and I have PCOD (left ovary). In this time line,...

Omphalocele - Baby with abdominal wall not clos...

I went to a doctor to have ultra sounds done and the doctor said that my babys belly wasnt closed all the way yet an...

Two Miscarriages at 6 Weeks Pregnancy

Hey,i was 6 weeks pregnent and had a miscarriage on december 19th 2011 after 3 days continous spotting. I had my men...

Miscarriage or just a bleed?

I am 4 weeks and 6 days Pregnant, last night I experienced tummy cramps, pain in my side when I moved and bleeding. ...

Miscarriage due to increased levels of lead in ...

I'm writing because my 21 year old daughter had a miscarriage in November after having a perfectly normal ultrasound...

Misscarriage - Pregnancy test still positive

I had a D and C on Dec. 22, and a period in jan. from the 17 to the 20th. Last thursday i started what i guess you w...

Stringy Discharge at eight weeks pregnant

I am eight weeks pregnant and have just noticed a lot of clear discharge with brown and red stringy bits when I went...

Miscarriage? - bleeding between periods.

I had my period a few weeks ago because im on the pill but then the middle of last week i suffered from heavy bleedi...

Post Your Thoughts