Question :

Breast feeding and Smoking: Bad Combination

If a mother is breast feeding and a smoker will that hurt the baby?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Yes. Nicotine in cigarettes can be found on the breastmilk of moms who smoke. Some babies experience nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, others have sleep disturbances as a result of nicotine. There has been increasing evidence that the long term effects of nicotine are neurodevelopmental and behavioural problems; these are in kids whose moms have been smoking while breastfeeding. Second hand smoke is never good for babies. It can predispose them to respiratory infections, ear infections, colic, asthma, among others. Smoking per se can also decrease breastmilk production. I do hope this helps. Take care.

Questions related to Breastfeeding

APO-DICLO and breast feeding

I have tendinitis and was prescribed APO-DICLO SR 75MG. I am still nursing my 1.5 year old, but not often. Is this sa...

Yellow bump on nipple while breastfeeding

A few months ago I noticed a yellow bump on my left nipple. It hurt like crazy! I squeezed it and white puss came out...

Can my milk do something to baby if I have flu

Can my milk do something to the baby when I got the flu

Swollen Tonsils Safe for Breastfeeding?

My child is 7 weeks old. My wife has a swollen tonsils (strep throat). Is breastfeeding safe?

Is it acceptable to smoke and drink alcohol whi...

I know a young lady who is breastfeeding. She maintains that her pediatric Dr. and The American Pediatric Associatio...

Breast engorgement and Management

I decided to stop breastfeeding my 11 month old daughter, she only ever feed off the left breast. I have tried to gr...

Weight Loss In A New Born

My son was born on feb 10, 2012 weight 8 lbs 10 oz he left the hosp at 7lb 6oz he had a appointment yesturday he wei...

Is Sudafed Safe While Breastfeeding?

Hi my name is Jamarius and I'm a Breastfeeding Peer Counselor. I just wanted to know if it is safe for one of my mot...

Lipotropic Injection and Breastfeeding

Is breastfeeding safe to my baby while i am having lipotropic injection?

Breast feeding and yeast infections

What are the side effectsof using a over the counter yeast infection treatment when you are breast feeding?

Is it safe to Tattoo while breastfeeding?

Is it safe to get a tattoo while breast feeding my newborn?

Using tretinoin cream while breastfeeding

Can i use tretinoin cream .05% while breast feeding?

Producing milk a year and half after giving birth

Is it noormal to produce and leak milk 14 months after giving birth when i have never breastfed?

Medication to start breast milk production

Is there any medican that can star the prodution of milk in the breast

Still lactating after nine months and never nur...

Is it normal for a women who didnt nurse to still lactate after 9 months of pregnancy?

Still Lactating after a year.

I last breat feed my Youngest son in June of 2010. I am still lactating and wonder what I need to do to stop this. I...

White milky discharge from the breasts

Is it safe that a white milky liquid comes out of a girls breast before marriage?

Breastfeeding and smoking marijuana

I smoked one hit of weed but i stopped breast feeding since i did and its been two weeks and my babys been on formul...

alcohol while breastfeeding

Is it ok to have two glasses of red wine daily while breastfeeding

Three month old breastfed son has BM's that are...

Hi! My 3 month old son is exclusively breastfed and has been having mucus in his stool for the past 3 weeks. I have...

Asymmentrical breast

I got asymmetrical breast while breastfeeding ,could it be corrected without surgry

Is breastfeeding safe to my baby while i am hav...

Hello doctor i ham a new mammy now i am one moth postpartum i had today gastroenteritis with diarhea and vomitting ...

Mastitis

Yesterday I was given an antibiotic for mastitis. At that time I had fever, chills, and breast pain. I did not hav...

Acai berry and breastfeeding?

I would really like to try this but im really scared it could harm my baby i have done research and some websites sa...

Benefits of Breast Feeding

I was recently discharged from the hospital and the nurses were encouraging breast feeding. What are the benefits to...

Post Your Thoughts