Question :

When is it safe to have sex after giving birth?

Hi i had sexual intercourse with my partner Munson is currently 2 weeks and 5 days old I didn't no you had to wait up until six weeks after you have had the baby to have sexual intercourse as this is my first child and the doctor or midwife didn't let me no either I've been reading up online that you can get infections and in some cases death I'm really worried and wondering what should I do about this situation as I haven't got a clue

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
3 weeks is a safe time interval in general. If you had no vaginal infection during or just prior to delivery and an episiotomy (cut from vagina toward anus, stitched afterwards) was not done, 2 weeks is acceptable but 3 weeks is more reasonable because it will give more time for the cervix to close. Once the cervix is closed, there are much lesser chances for infections to invade the uterus. If you do not have any bad-smelling discharges or bleeding, or any pain on your genitalia, it is generally safe to have sex 3 weeks after delivery. If you did have a complicated pregnancy or an episiotomy was done, 6 weeks is a reasonable wait. This is to ensure that the wound has completely healed, reducing the risks of nasty infections. Remember that there is a wound outside and inside; even if it seems okay on the outside, you really can’t be sure what is happening inside. Some women heal faster than others but others still feel pain during intercourse 2-3 months after delivery; if you did have an episiotomy, don’t have sex again until 3-4 weeks from now. I do hope this helps and take care always.

Questions related to Pregnancy and Sex

Could I Be Pregnant?

Hello, well I had sex and I got a UTI so i went to my doctor 2-3 days after and he tested my urine for pregnancy and ...

Brown discharge instead of period, could i be p...

Light period, no blood, but brown discharge?

Am I pregnant, used plan b one step 12 hours af...

I had sex with boyfriends (unprotected) he did not ejaculate inside me. He previously masturbated twice before having...

Could I be pregnant?

I'm 29 years old and I've had my tubes tied for a little over 3 years now. My periods have always been normal but thi...

Condom broke and chances of pregnancy

Dear Doctor, I had sex with my girlfriend July 23rd, and the condom broke. I immediately pulled out, and I didn't eja...

Implantation bleeding vs. Early Period?

On Sunday I had sex with my boyfriend. I was not very naturally lubracated and we did it unprotected for around 2-4 m...

Pregnancy scare

Recently i had a sex with my girlfriend and it was protected sex i pulled out before ejaculation as well and about a ...

could i be pregnant

im having light bleeding could I be preganat

Could I be Pregnant?

About a week ago my boyfriend and I had unprotected sex and he came in me twice. A few days later we had unprotected ...

is she a pregnant?

Actually i had an unprotected sex with my girl on 5th of june and she had an i-pill within 3 hrs and again i intimate...

Can my GF be pregnant?

PLEASE ANSWER IF YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT YOU'RE SAYING. I'M STRESSED OUT! so exactly 14 days ago, things got hot bet...

Unprotected sex

I had unprotected sex but didn't ejaculate in girl and gave her plan b she is late for her period from before we had ...

Am I pregnant?

I don't know if I am pregnant or if something else is wrong, could you please help? I have had sex a handful of tim...

Missed period, urinary frequency, am I pregnant?

I had a tubal in 08 and 3 missed peroids going pee a lot more and flutter in belly can I be pregaunt

Is my girlfriend pregnant

The day after her period I had protected sex with my girlfriend and as I took my condom off I accidentally got a litt...

want a family

I'm trying to have a family with my husband. We have sex and we don't use nothing. He come inside me and I have sti...

IUD lodged in my colon

I have an IUD lodged in my colon. I've had many issues since this, including having to abort one pregnancy and a seco...

possibly pregnant?

I have been experiencing lightheadedness along with tender breasts and also had a very light period is there a possib...

Pregnancy bed rest and masturbation

I am 32 weeks pregnant and on bed rest for a soft cervix. I had an ultrasound last week and all looked good in terms ...

Pregnancy Scare, worried

Got carried away had unprotected sex for about 2-3 minutes maybe. Then put on a condom and finished with the condom o...

Side effects of certain drugs on pregnancy

My husband is 37yrs Old, we are late married. He is taking medicines like larpose , lonazep and elcab for mental dep...

am I pregnant?

What are te chances of me being pregnant? I haven't had my period yet but it's not supposed to come for another 2 weeks.

Could i be Pregnant?

Hello , I am 14 years old and for the past month I've felt very weird . I've had nausea at night , plus I've bee...

Took plan b 32 hours after unprotected sex, sta...

i had unprotected sex 4 days after i finished my period. i took the morning after pill 32 hours later, and 5 days aft...

Am I pregnant? Please help me!

I had sex on July 3rd, it was unprotected and I'm not on the pill. He didn't ejaculate in me but he did when he pul...

Post Your Thoughts