What does a faint line on home preg test and a negative blood test mean?

Dear Ask The Doctor:  Hi, I have been on clomid for a while now, have never had a positive pregnancy test, but this time a very very faint line came up on a first response pregnancy test (in the morning). I went to the Dr at 5pm who did another urine test that came back negative. I had a blood test done the next day, that they said was negative. The wouldn't or couldn't give me the hcg level. I have done another first response test today, and can still see a faint faint line. Today is day 47 of my cycle, my last cycle was 66 days, and I needed provera to bring on a period, after a negative blood test. I have never ever seen a mark on all the urine tests I have done, so I don't know if I am clutching at straws or not....is it possible that I could be pregnant and it is just slow to come up? I was on 150 of clomid and I have polycystic ovarian syndrome. I am 29 years of age.

Dear Patient:  I would suggest you request your doctor for another urine or blood test 1-2 weeks from now. There is still a slim chance you are pregnant and the blood levels were not high enough during the time your blood tests were done. Blood hormone levels peak earlier than urine levels. Doing the home pregnancy test everyday will only heighten your anxiety, so I would suggest you give it an interval of 1-2 weeks. If the next blood pregnancy test will still turn out negative then the likelihood of you not being pregnant is almost certain. I do hope this helps and take care always.

Please login or signup to post comments!

SEARCH: