Question :

Coming off contraception and nautral ovulation

I was on Microgyam contraceptive pill for around 8 years and came off it in November 2011 to start trying for a baby, since then i had my withdrawl bleed on 5.11.11 as normal and then after that i have bled every 28th day give or take i bled on 1.12.11, 28.12.11, 25.1.12 and 22.2.12 day however these periods have only lasted 3 days and have not been very heavy, does this mean i am ovulated naturally again?? I am worried because my periods are light and i have been on the pill so long put as my periods come every 28th day does this mean i am ovulating?? Before i went on the pill i had regular periods i am just getting myself worried i am not ovulating yet?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
It is difficult from just the light periods to know whether you are ovulating or not. Menstruation is a very complicated process and it is difficult to be 100% accurate. Ovulation usually takes place roughly 14 days after the first day of the start of a period; however, the exact timing can vary greatly from woman to woman. Certain signs of ovulation are lower pain abdomen, change in cervical mucus and rise in body temperature. You can try using ovulation predictor kits to detect the surge in luteinizing hormone (LH) in your urine just before ovulation. They're easier to use and often more accurate than the BBT method, and they can predict ovulation 12 to 36 hours in advance and help you maximize your chance of conception the very first month you use them.

Questions related to Contraception

unprotected sex

Can we use unwanted 72twice within 3 days ... and other question is that is it necessary to take another pill(unwante...

pregnant or stress

Help!! I don't know if I'm pregnant or i"m just stressed .I'm late on my period but I had protected sex and he...

IUD bleeding and cramping

I have an IUD in now. I am going to get it removed and have a new one inserted because the one I have now is expired....

I don't want to have a baby! Please help!

I am on a contraceptive pill and have been for nearly 2 months now. I didn't get my period in the first month on the...

Urgent help regarding pregnancy and contracepti...

I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend 2 days ago and even though he didn't ejaculate in me, some if it was on my va...

birth control pill help

hi, im a 17 year old female and ive been taking the alysena birth control pill for a year, i swiched to yaz to see if...

Pill help

Can i start the pill 4 days into my period and it will still work?

Does the morning after pill mess up your cycle

I had to take the morning after pill in may. I had my period On the 15th of may had not been totally done had sex on ...

Trying to get pregnant after removing Mirena coil

I have the mirena coil to prevent pregnancies and i would like it removed now so that i could get pregnant. I would l...

Is missed period a side effect of Depo Provera?

I went to the GP on Thursday to discuss contraception. I was due to start my period that day, had had all the usual s...

Do bad menstrual pains mean no chance of pregna...

Our neighbor told us that since my wife is having bad menstrual pains that we won't be able to have children in the f...

What are the chances of pregnancy?

I've been on the pill for two weeks now, and my boyfriend rubbed the tip of his penis against my vagina - he is unsur...

Vomitting after coming off birth control

Hi, I'm a 26 year old female who stopped taking birth control after 11 years on it with hopes of trying to conceive....

Contraceptive pill and voltaren - effects?

Hi, I recently had an accident and was prescribed a single tablet of volatren 50 each day. I forgot to mention to ...

Birth Control

I wanted to know if I want o skip a month of my period, is it safe to keep taking the pill until my period for the ne...

I had the depo and plan b pill

I have had unprotected sex on december 4 . He came inside. When I went to doctor next day she said I was due for th...

Birth control causes terrible dry eyes, will an...

I've been trying various combined pills for ages, never with any success. I've tried Microgynon 30 twice, and have j...

Missing IUD strings

29 year old mother of 2 kids, and my weight is 83kgs , i m having IUD inserted and strings are missing from last 15 ...

Antibiotics with contraceptive pill

Hi i am 30 years old and currently on Diane 35 contraceptive pill. I want to go back on tetralysal 300 for another ...

Periods after depo injection

I came off the depo injection in October after only one shot. I got my first period January 19th - 24th and then my ...

Weird syntomps while on the pill... Am I pregn...

Hi I've been on mycroginion 30 for 6 years without any problems. Then, I skipped them for 1 month last year from oct...

Female sterilisation, best time to get it done.

I am seriously thinking of getting sterilised. what are the procedures for female sterilisation, when is the best ti...

Is there any side effects of taking emergency c...

Am a 23 year old girl. i had sex with my boyfriend using condoms six times in 3 days. After 2 intercourses i had an i...

Missed period and unable to start contraceptive...

I recently got a prescription for the contraceptive pill (Yaz). I was told to take it on the first day of my period, ...

Should I take Plan B or not?

I am very unsure of whether or not to take the Plan B pill. My boyfriend and I typically practice safe sex with cond...

Post Your Thoughts

Patient Comments

Guest Says: Dear Doctor, I decided not to go for my next injection date which was the 3 June 2014 I've been on the pill/2 month injection for 4 years, the last I had my period was in May 2014. I have taken a test and I am not pregnant. I would like to know how long would it take before I fall pregnant again and why i missed my period?