Question :

Causes of irregular Menstrual Cycle.

Okay, I couldn't find My Category...but it's about my period. I haven't had a period in a month. I'm not pregnant. What's the cause? And how can I get back on track?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
I can understand your anxiety. Irregular periods are very common in women and there could be several factor leading to it. The main ones are pregnancy, stress, low body weight or anorexia. Since you've mentioned that you are not pregnant, I would advise a period of observation and rule out stress as the cause. However, if you still experience irregular periods, I would advise that you see your doctor for blood tests to rule out hormonal causes or nutritional deficiencies.  Depending on the results of the test, your doctor may also perform an ultrasound to rule out any anatomical causes.

Questions related to Menstruation

Bleeding heavy for 3 days, what should I do?

I've been bleeding very heavy for 3 1/2 days now, going through a tampon every hour and losing quarter size and large...

Menstruation Crisis . . . . . . .

I have not got my period for 5 months. I am 13 years old, i first got my period when i was 11. I am not sexually acti...

6 months of not having period

A friend of mine hasn't got her period for 6 months and she never had sexual intercourse before. What may have caused...

Unusually Heavy Period

Im 30 years old, no kids. My last normal period was May 22, it lasted for four or five days. On June 21 I started spo...

Black bloody discharge after fetal abruption

Hi, I am a 21 yo female, and 6 weeks ago I had a fetal abruption and lost the baby. I think that my period has come b...

Menstrual spotting

I brown spot every 14th day of my cycle for two months. No pain and just little amounts. My cycle changed from 30-...

What could the light blood i experienced be?

My last period was June 14th-18th. I had unprotected sex with my husband the 24th-26th of June. on the first day of m...

Am i having a miscarriage

I have poly cystic ovarian syndrome and have irregular cycles my last one was in November.....for the last 4 days i h...

Trying to conceive

I am trying to conceive and recently had my Mirena removed 4 months ago. My periods seemed to regulate until this mon...

Brown blood discharge

Hi, I'm 6 weeks and 3 days pregnant and earlier I noticed some brown blood/discharge not much tho, no cramps or anyth...

Pregnant? or something else?

Hello, I am 23 years old, I was on the Depo shot for about 6 years, I have been off of it for about 2 years, and last...

I'm paranoid from changing my tampon!

I was on my period and my fiancé was sexually excited, so I jacked him off. I remember whipping off my hands a...

Symptoms like coming on my period but cramping

This week I should have started my cycle...I have symptoms as if I was coming on my period by there is nothing I have...

Irregular periods

I have irregular periods, so skipping a month is usually a normal thing but this time around I've been spotting (for ...

Why is my period back again this month?

Hi, I have fairly regular periods. Typically heavy with clots. I had my regular period 2 days early on June 8th. It w...

Bleeding after 5 days in 10 year old

My 10 years old daughter started her period on June 18 and 5 days later she is still bleeding I'd that normal or do I...

No children and diagnosed with PCOS

i have no children,and diagnosed with pcos.my perios is irregular.what are the treatment

Sharp lower abdominal pains after morning after...

I'm a 19 female, I took morning after pill and got my period, but since then I have been suffering from sharp lower a...

Odds of bleeding monthly when pregnant?

Would most women continue to have a period every 28 days during pregnancy..with clots also. I've had 4 periods..sinc...

All of a sudden abnormal periods

Hello! I am 23 years old - have had a regular period and been on birth control for ten years now. I always know when ...

Late period with brownish discharge, can I be p...

I had sex May 1st May 6th (ovulation day) and May 7th All three times my boyfriend used the pullout method. Two days ...

Can stress and change in diet cause a late or m...

My friend is late on her period. She uses an app to track when it is expected to come, but she is unsure on if she en...

Should I take Plan B to be safe after a slipped...

If I had sex, for the first time,Sunday night and the condom slipped off, I'm not sure if sperm entered my vagina or ...

Missed period after stopping birth control pills

Hello, I stopped taking my birth control pills (couldn't get a new pack) and on the 23rd of march I got my period, it...

Excessive bleeding from Vagina

I have been bleeding for just over two weeks. I am on birth control. The doctor told me it was breakthrough bleeding ...

Irregular period cycles

Hi I'm 13 and I first got my period in Oct last year and got it for the second Time on Thursday it was pretty light t...

One Day Period for a Virgin?

I'm a 15 year old girl (I just turned 15) and I got my period (obviously not for the first time, of course). I bled ...

I am still a virgin, but hymen broken from exer...

well, I'm still a virgin (or that's what I think). never had sex before. about 12 days ago I was with my boyfriend &a...

Tranexamic acid treatment duration

I recently started taking tranexamic acid (Cyklokapron) for an abnormally long period I got this cycle. The doctor to...

Sacred about Possiblity of Pregnancy

Hi, I am a 21 year old who is really worried, and I don't know who else to contact. I was with a guy and we wer...

Possible miscarriage

I am currently on the pill and my period arrived before it was due. It has been going for nine days now and I have be...

Should I take a pregnancy test?

Normally when I get my period, it's heavy right from the beginning with lots of cramping. This month my period is wei...

Pregnancy Scare

Yes, I expected my period the 15th . It started as spotting (which is not normal) , so I thought I was pregnant. I t...

How to Delay Periods?

Iam 27 yeras old.i am on holiday and i want to pospone my periods till 31st of march.my last period came on 6th of f...

Bleeding for two Months on Implanon

I am on Implanon Birth Control and have been bleeding for two months, What could be causing this?

Is Spot Bleeding normal before a period begins?

Is it normal to slightly 'spot bleed' before a period? I've noticed recently that I've started spot bleeding for abo...

Irregular Periods After Tubal Ligation

I had a tubligation 6 years after having my daughter since then my periods have been irregular. at first i had two ...

Menstral cycle abnormalities and bleeding in be...

I have My periods every month around the 27th but this month I started on the 10 th but only bleed for a hour then ...

Menstration Cycle Messed Up Or Pregnant Or What?!?

I am 23 yrs old I had unpotected sex 1 da ater my menstruation cycle and my boyfriend came inside me 16 days later (f...

Pain in the middle of Menstruation

I am 33 years of age and have two children. I have recently been experiencing really bad period pains in the middle o...

Light period with spotting for 2 days, chances ...

I got my period at the normal time but it lasted two days insted of four and was a light pink spotting i noticed my ...

14 year old and no periods

Hi Im 14 and i havn't had ant discharge or my period yet, should i worry about this?

Brownish Black Discharge Right After Periods

Period was 3 days late when it came on it was a brownish black color the whole time. No itching. burning, cramping. ...

Im afraid i might be having a miscarriage?

I have polocystic overy syndrome and i havent had a period in over two years now im having a light brown discharge o...

Mensuration problem - Amenorrhea since 2 years

I dint have periods from past 2 years. i have put on a lot of weight because of that. the doctor gave me some table...

Excessive Bleeding During Periods

Past 8 months i'm(24 YEARS OLD) getting excess bleeding during 1st 3days of my periods, with this hip pain also. DU...

Excessive and heavy Periods causing symptoms.

Hi there ive been on my periods for 4weeks now they are so heavy that when i stand up or go in the shower it just po...

Abnormal Bleeding - what is the cause?

I spotted for a week then it stopped for a couple days. Then when I had intercourse, I bled a lot for about an hour ...

Pain on right side of abdomen during menstruation

For the past 3 0r 4 months i have realised that i get this intense pain on the right side of my lower abdomen during...

Menstruation in Puberty and the hpv vaccine

My daughter is 11 and started her cycle in July..She had the first series of the vaccine for hpv in May. Does the v...

Post Your Thoughts