Question :

Irregular periods after stopping the pill: How long until i should be able to conceive?

I stopped taking the yasmin birth control pill in Aug 2010 to try to conceive. My first period after stopping the pill was on the 21st of August for five days. After that i did not have a period until Feb 2011 but this only lasted two days on the 5th and 6th. In march i was on on the 5th to the 8th. Then i had no period again until May 15th until the 20th and again on the 17th June and I'm just coming off now got very light bleeding (the 21st). I went to my doctor in May as i had no period in April and wanted to know how long until my cycle would get back to normal but they said it was basically normal again. I don't want to keep going and asking them but i would like to know how long to wait until i go to see if everything is working properly as it seems i have been trying to conceive for a long time! i know its meant to be a year but have you heard of such irregular periods after coming off the pill? and how long would you estimate it will take if there are no problems with me or my other half? It is just frustrating trying then no periods, negative tests then a couple of months later i am on again.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
It is true that going of the pill can make your period irregular and it may take some time to get back to normal. This however differs on a case to case basis. There is no fixed time that it may or may not take to regularise your periods. Now i tend to agree with your doctors that it does seem that the periods are getting back to normal agian since you have had one in may and june.Once your periods are regularised I am sure there would be no issue with concieiving. I would advice you to be patient and wait and watch. All the best.

Questions related to Missed Period

14 year old girl, Sore breasts and hard feeling...

14 yr. old girl having sore breasts, and they feel hard?? Lately my breasts have felt sore and started feeling hard? ...

Late period, Negative HPT. Should I see my doct...

Should I go see my Doctor, or am I over reacting?

Miscarriage, period, and now 3 months later sti...

I'm 21, I had normal periods for most of my life always coming exactly a month later. I had a baby at 18 (no complica...

Pregnacy after meraina iud

Hello, i got my meraina iud out july 8 2014, that same day even before getting it removed i started my period. My hus...

Mildly concerned about missing a period after sex

I have irregular periods and it is not unusual for me to miss them but i had sex during the time I was expecting to h...

Nothisterone period delay

I have recently taken Nothisterone to delay my period whilst on holiday - however, it didn't seem to work as after ab...

Could i be pregnant?

I am 3 days late on my period. I've never been late. Im always early. I have taken 2 tests that had a faint second li...

Pregnancy or Stress

Im 6days delayed. Had sex on July 17-19. Took HPT on July 25,27,29,30 & were all negative. Is hpt reliable that t...

Could I Be Pregnant

I'm 10days late in me and my boyfriend had sex earlier this month and he enjackulated in me but my period came on at...

could I be pregnant

I am three days late for my period could I be pregnant or could it be due to stress

Is this a real pregnancy?

I had 5 positive pregnancy tests last month then I started bleeding after I was 2 days past my start date. I started ...

Period

i want know going on with my period for 8 month .. i want know about that .. this wrong with my month period .. not t...

Could I be pregnant?

My boyfriend was getting himself off on the seventeenth of this month, and it was right at my entrance. We're both vi...

pregnancy - my period is 8 days late

Hi doctor. I usually get my period on 22nd day but i m 8 days late. i am not getting any signs of pregnancy but i did...

Period but pregnant?

I've read many things online about women not missing periods but still being pregnant. Is this a common thing?

missed period but negative pregnancy result

Dear doctor, Im 27 years old male. My wife is 20 years. we married 5 months ago. Initially she get concieved...

period stressing

Hi im olivia,im 15 ive had protected sex for about 2 months now but this month i seem to be about 3-4 days late for m...

Supposed to start my period

I was supposed to start my period yesterday my first day of my last period was June 17, 2014. I took a pregnancy test...

Could I be pregnant?

I had sex the day after my period ended, and the condom broke. I took plan b within 24 hours of the incident. I had v...

missed period am I pregnant

Hi !!! I got married on 7th May and had my periods on the same day, after my period me n my husband were sexually ac...

Pregnancy question

Last Saturday, July 5th, my boyfriend and I were fooling around. We both had underwear on, but there was rubbing on t...

Four days late, 3 negative HPT

Hi my period late four days n their usually regular.. I've taken three pregnancy tests n all are negative.. I'm haver...

Period

I lost my virginity on May 7. We used a condom. I got my a regular period around May 15 but it was shorter than usual...

Missed periods

I'm on junelle (birthcontrol) I'm regular but this month I missed my periods. I did pregnancy test twice. Both were o...

Cramps or pregnant?

I had sex with my boyfriend and 3 days later I was on my period now I've been having cramps but no period. It usual ...

Post Your Thoughts