Question :

Sex and contraceptive pills

Before i engaged myself with sex, should i considered taking contraceptive pills or hormonal one to avoid pregnancy. i'm going to marry this June and both of us agree not to have babies yet. he asked me to take pills and all but i'm not certain of it. should i consult doctors about it, what is the pros and cons of taking it, and where can i get those pills. it would be really nice if you read and reply my questions. or maybe you could suggest link(s) for me to read further. thanks!

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
I understand and respect your decision about Birth Control.  Certainly it is a very responsible decision and I will try my best to enlighten you with some information.
Before choosing the right contraceptive method make an honest assessment of yourself, your partner and your relationship, ideally you and your partner will discuss the options and reach a mutually beneficial decision. There are many options from natural family planning and over-the-counter birth control products to prescription contraceptives.
Birth control pills are a common type of contraception. If you're considering taking birth control pills, you may have more choices than you'd think. You'll start by choosing either combination birth control pills or minipills. If you choose combination birth control pills, you'll have another choice conventional packs or continuous dosing. With conventional birth control pills, you'll have a period every month. With continuous dosing birth control pills, you may have a period only four times a year or eliminate your period entirely.
If you need birth control only occasionally, over-the-counter male or female condoms might be appropriate birth control options. You might also consider a contraceptive sponge and spermicidal. If you're most concerned about effectiveness, prescription contraceptives such as contraceptive injections, a vaginal ring or an intrauterine device might be better birth control options.
Lastly natural family planning includes the rhythm method, the cervical mucus method and the basal body temperature method. You can use these types of natural family planning to predict when you'll ovulate and when you need to avoid unprotected sex, if you don't want to conceive. Another type of natural family planning is withdrawal, in which the man withdraws his penis from the vagina before ejaculation to prevent pregnancy but surely this is the least effective method.
Natural family planning requires motivation, diligence and self-control. Natural family planning isn't as effective as other types of birth control, but it's inexpensive and doesn't have any side effects.  I would suggest you to consult a physician for a more detailed conversation and to answer all of your questions, I am sure that he or she would suggest the best method for you according to your lifestyle and needs. I wish you the best.

Questions related to Birth Control

Is abortion worse on the body than the daily co...

Is abortion worse on the body than the daily contraceptive pill?

Boyfriend finished inside me while I was on my ...

Had unprotected sex on my period and going to start birth control for the first time the next day? Can I still get pr...

Teen needs advice with birth control

Hello!! I have been taking a very strong dose of birth control for over a year now. I became extremely sick and s...

No Period After Stopping Birth Control, Is this...

I have been on my current birth control for a year now and anytime i missed a couple days my period was always quick ...

Missed birth control pill

I normally take my birth control at 10 pm. I missed it last night and took it at 10:15 this morning. I have had sex w...

i need advice! its important as it has to do wi...

hiya em im around 18 years old and I was wondering if this is to do with the morning after pill today at twenty to tw...

16 year old female with serious stomach pains

i have back pains, exhausted all the time, sharp pains in my belly. ive aslo had my period 5 times in one month but ...

3 days after period had sex and two days later ...

Had unprotected sex three days after my period and got the depo shot two days after having the sex? Is there a chance...

May be pregnant on depo provera injection when ...

I had my depo injection a week late and during that week I had unprotected sex and I think that I am pregnant. I just...

Spot bleeding for 2 weeks straight

Can taking your birth control pills in reverse for one package, like starting at week 3 cause you to spot bleed for 2...

Depo Shot question, please help!

Started the depo shot about two weeks ago, but now i'm showing signs of brownish discharge, does this mean i'm pregnant?

Take B pill

Can i take a plan b pill while on tri-sprintec?

Mirena UID

Have has Mirena IUD for 2 1/2 years. i am one of the one that my period never went away or became lighter. It is regu...

Birth control for increased testosterone levels

hello im a 20 year old female my testosterone levels are too high and was prescribed birth control pills I was wonder...

Abnormal bleeding

I am a 20 year old female and have been on the pill for roughly 3 1/2 years. I got on birth control to stop my bad cr...

Depo shot for 4 years

I was on the on the depo shot for 4 years, I was 18. Now, 22 years and have decided to stop taking my depo shot. Jul...

Paranoid or pregnant?

So I am on birth control (to treat acne) and have never had vaginal sex. Yet I am still paranoid that I am pregnant f...

Bleeding after morning-after pill

I took a morning after pill (Ella) 10 days ago, and I started bleeding after the 4 days that followed even there was ...

Birth control question

I have been on birth control (junel fe) for about three years. I recently went on vacation and left my pills at home....

Birth control question

I just finished a birth control pack I usually start the next pack the first day of my next period which began tod...

I had unprotected sex for 3 months before havin...

Hi I had my son in january this year, me and my partner had sex unprotected until 4th april this year...i then had...

Am I pregnant

Im on birth control and haven't skipped a pill. Me and my boyfriend had sex but didn't use a condom. I took the "...

Scared I am pregnant

Im 17 sexually active that has been on the pill for 4 or 5 years, i had sex about a month ago and am scared i am preg...

Had sex during periods

Hello Doctor. I had an unprotected sex with my girlfriend when she was having her periods and after having sex i gave...

Dominique

If you had unprotected sex and missed your birth control pill then take it after! Can you become pregnant?

Post Your Thoughts