Staph infection and Sex

Dear Ask The Doctor:  My boyfriend currently has staph infection on his arm and we had unprotected sex, can I get it? And if I can how would I know? Would there be any symptoms? 

Dear Patient:  I understand your worry about Staph infection. Certainly anyone can develop an infection from this entity but it will develop especially in newborns, breastfeeding woman, people with chronic conditions. This bacteria is part of our normal flora and is found in many skin surfaces, especially around the nose, mouth, genitals, and anus. But when the skin is punctured or broken for any reason, staph bacteria can enter the wound and cause an infection.In my opinion you should avoid contact with the area infected in your partner, especially if you have an opened wound since staph bacteria often spread through skin to skin contact the bacteria can be also spread from one area of the body to another if someonetouches the infected area. I am not saying that you are infected but it would be recommended for you to have a good hygiene which is the best way to protect yourself against getting staph (and other) infections. Washing your hands frequently and by bathing or showering daily until your partner infection is completely cured. Please advise him to finish his antibiotic treatment. I wish you the best.

Please login or signup to post comments!

@ASKTHEDOCTOR ON TWITTER
@ASKTHEDOCTOR
Official Question Provider for