Question :

HSV test

I had possibly had shingles last year (undetermined because of no outward blisters or rash, just internal pain on nerves in legs), i was then tested for hsv and the test came back positive for hsv 2 antibodies. Could having the shingles virus possibly cause a false positive on the test? I have since been taking acylovir for the past 14 months daily. I need some answers because this is totally affecting my life. please someone help me. Should I be retested?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
I realize your concern about HSV 2 antibodies and Shingles. As you may already know the virus that causes Shingles is the Varicella Zoster Virus . Shingles is a viral infection that causes a painful rash. Although shingles can occur anywhere on your body, it most often appears as a band of blisters that wraps from the middle of your back around one side of your chest to your breastbone. Shingles is caused by the varicella-zoster virus the same virus that causes chickenpox. After youve had chickenpox, the virus lies inactive in nerve tissue near your spinal cord and brain. Years later, the virus may reactivate as shingles. On the other Hand, HSV 2 uses sores in the genital area (genital herpes), such as on or around the vagina or penis. HSV-2 also causes the herpes infection seen in babies who are delivered vaginally in women who have genital herpes. HSV-2 is generally spread by sexual contact. HSV-2 can sometimes cause mouth sores.These are two different types of virus, and the Positive antibody for HSV 2 detected in the test that you took is very unlikely to be caused by Shingles. If you will like to rule it out completely, I would suggest you to get a PCR test, this is the most accurate test for herpes at the moment, it is an expensive test but I would give you the final answer that you are looking for. I wish you the best.

Questions related to Genital Herpes

she had no signs till she told me

My girlfriend that if been with for almost 2 years just told me she has herpes from a past relationship I am showing ...

Got HSV2 but dont really know anything about it...

Hi Doc So my question is this. I was told a year ago that I had HSV-2 by my Dr. He said it was not a big deal and th...

Red spots on head of penis

I have three red spots on the head of my penis.Two on the rim and one on the head.The one on the head had a scab but ...

Herps

To spread herpes from sex, does the person have to be flaring, or could it be anytime

Pimples on penis and pubic area.

About 2 months after my last unprotected sex I got these small pimples on my penis which would last around 10-15 days...

Dormant herpes

Is it possible to carry the herpes virus for 30 years with absolutely no symptoms and still pass it on to someone else?

Girlfriend developing cold sores every time we ...

I have been seeing a woman for 3 months and when we have sex she will develop cold sores on her lips a few days later...

Did I contract Herpes whilst overseas?

Hello, I was in HK a week ago, and being stupid, I visited a walk-up for a massage and handjob. While I was there...

Would HSV cause the symptoms i am experiencing

I have genital herpes. Outbreaks are mild and controllable I recently had a urinalysis done for insurance purposes a...

Time frame of contracting herpes

If a female contracted herpes from her exclusive partner of over 15 years where the male has had no symptoms of herpe...

Blood comes through sperm

there are some pimple like things in my penis skin which are always present what are this? and some times blood comes...

Is it possible/likely that I have herpes now?

My girlfriend has type one herpes (the oral kind). And she performed oral sex on me 2 or 3 times. I am now worried ab...

Is this herpes?

I am very concerned with this lump that I discovered on my outer labia. It doesn't itch or burn or anything; there's...

HSV and risk of transmitting the virus

I was recently told by my doctor that I have the antibodies for hsv2 in my blood. I asked what that meant and he sai...

Does itching and swelling of my anus mean I hav...

I had unprotected sex a little over a month ago with someone that most likely has herpes. I have had no symptoms un...

False Positive HSV Test

How reliable is the HSV test? Me and my partner did the test. I was diagnosed positive with genital herpes and he wa...

Genital Herpes or Staph Infection?

I have hard bubble like blisters on my bikini line. I've had them once before and the doctor said it was a staph inf...

Boyfriend has herpes, how high are the chances ...

My boyfriend just told me he has herpes, we havent slept together yet but if we do, how high are the chances of me g...

Have I contracted genital herpes?

I am concerned I have contracted genital herpes. My boyfriend performed oral sex on me last night and woke this morn...

Elmiron and Acyclovir together

Can I take Acyclovir and Elmiron concurrently? I take 600 mg Elmiron for innerstitial cystitis and have also been ad...

Very worried about the spread of herpes to my baby

Hi! My husband and I were intimate last night. He had a outbreak and even though we used protection we are worried t...

Oral spread of genital herpes?

Hi im seeing this guy and while we were n highscHool his ex girlfriend said he have her herpes. he completely denies...

Photoepilation with Herpes Infection

Hello, I had my firat herpes outbreak 4 years ago and started having photodepilation February this year without tak...

STD test positive for herpes, What is the treat...

MY STD TEST CAME BACK SHOWING A LOW COUNT FOR HERPES,THE DR DIDNT TELL ME WHAT TYPE NOR GAVE ME ANY MEDICINE FOR IT....

What is my likelihood of vaginal HSV infection?

My boyfriend had a cold sore for about 2 weeks and now it is just a red dot. He went down on me using a dental dam l...

How is Herpes virus transmitted

I got diagnosed with herpes last year oct 2010 amd i havent gotten anOther outbreak since. Im tryimg to have unprote...

How to detect HPV infection?

If I contracted HPV a few years back (say possibly 5 yrs ago) and have not had any other partners since then other t...

How do I Keep herpes Sores Dry?

Hello, What is the best way to keep my vaginal area dry? I've just been diagnosed with herpes and the discharge and p...

Can I have genital herpes if someone with a col...

Well on friday I met this girl I didn't know her that well but she told me she was free of any STIs so we ended up h...

Are canker sores the same as cold sores?

If I have a canker sore in my mouth and I perform oral sex on my female partner, can I give her genital herpes.

Herpes and Unprotected Sex

So, what are the chances of spreading the disease if you had unprotected sex one and are on suppressive therapy and ...

Genital herpes: how is it transmitted.

My girlfriend has been told to go to an Std clinic for genital herpes. She went got a blood test and a swab, the nur...

Should I take Resan vaccine to prevent herpes l...

Hello Dr. 1st. i'd like to thank you so much for this amazing helpful page. my problem is that i got infected withe ...

Genital Rashes and its Common Causes

I have suspected I had Herpes for many years . But I was told by a doctor it wasn't herpes. So I didn't think I had ...

Anything other than genital herpes?

I had sex a week ago, and the condom broke from very vigorous sex. I know I can't go off just her word, but she said...

HSV Type 1 and Type 2: Effect of Creative Sexua...

If I kissed a guy who has oral HSV2 am I at risk for genital herpes? I have no oral symptoms but did find 2 small pi...

Valtrex and herpes Virus treatment

Hi I suffer from herpes for 14 years now it affected me so much, my relationship of 6 years has just broke down (my ...

HSV-2 infection and not know for years?? HELP!

I just found out I have Herpes Type 2. I have been in a relationship for 4 years, we have a 2 year old together. He ...

Can urinary tract infection antibiotics prevent...

Can being on antibiotics for a urinary tract infection reduce the risk of contracting herpes when exposed to the vir...

Have I given my boyfriend herpes?

Hello, I was about to have sex for the first time a few nights ago but I decided instead to give my boyfriend oral s...

Painful genital lesions: Is it herpes?

I had sex with a guy about a month ago and after that i a different guy with I have stayed with this guy.well i have...

Genital herpes and my partner

I found some genital herpe medication that belongs to my fiancee, i confromted him about it and he said he does not ...

Herpes and HIV

Is it easier to contract HIV if you are positive for genital herpes.

Herpes contraction without sexual contact

My mother has been staying with my fiance and i for a couple weeks now, while i am pregnant till we have the baby. W...

Transmission of oral to genital herpes

Can a person contract (get) genital herpes from someone who may have had a cold sore, but has tested negative for th...

Should I be tested for HSV type one?

My boyfriend was diagnosed with hsv-1 on his genitals. I know this is a very common virse also causing cold sores an...

Positive Immunology for Herpes

I have tested positive for herpes 1 and 2.After testing the strains 1.8 and 1.9 respectively What does this mean and...

HSV 2,positive immunological tests

I was recently diagnosed with hsv2 and test value is for IgG is 13.8 NTU and IgM is 1. If I am infected with virus I...

Possibility of having herpes but never having a...

My boyfriend's ex girl friend who he hasn't been sexually active with for almost a year told him a 2 weeks ago that ...

Post Your Thoughts