Question :

Herpes simplex lung infection in immunocompromised patients

Can you get HERPES in your lungs? If so how does it get in there? What r the typical symptoms and is it fatal? I can't seem to find much information online about Herpes in the Lungs, but I believe it is possible. If a person gets HERPES in their lungs how does it get there, saliva? What are the typical symptoms? How common is it? Is it fatal in adults that don't have other health problems outside of Herpes (HVS1 &/or HVS2 ) ?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
It is possible to have a lung infection with Herpes simplex virus, although this generally occurs only if the patient is immunocompromised (e.g. HIV infection, prolonged corticosteroid use, post chemotherapy). This means that their immune system cannot fight off normal infections and is susceptible to varied infections often termed opportunistic. These patients are particularly at risk of Herpes simplex (HSV) and varicella zoster virus (VZV) infectionIn patients with cutaneous HSV and VZV infections, viral dissemination to liver, lungs, brain, or gastrointestinal tract can occur in 10 percent of patients. Nasal, oropharyngeal, or esophageal HSV or VZV infections may spread directly to the lungs with the development of vesicular lesions in the trachea. Pulmonary involvement with HSV and VZV in the immunocompromised host is considered a life-threatening emergency.

Questions related to Genital Herpes

she had no signs till she told me

My girlfriend that if been with for almost 2 years just told me she has herpes from a past relationship I am showing ...

Got HSV2 but dont really know anything about it...

Hi Doc So my question is this. I was told a year ago that I had HSV-2 by my Dr. He said it was not a big deal and th...

Red spots on head of penis

I have three red spots on the head of my penis.Two on the rim and one on the head.The one on the head had a scab but ...

Herps

To spread herpes from sex, does the person have to be flaring, or could it be anytime

Pimples on penis and pubic area.

About 2 months after my last unprotected sex I got these small pimples on my penis which would last around 10-15 days...

Dormant herpes

Is it possible to carry the herpes virus for 30 years with absolutely no symptoms and still pass it on to someone else?

Girlfriend developing cold sores every time we ...

I have been seeing a woman for 3 months and when we have sex she will develop cold sores on her lips a few days later...

Did I contract Herpes whilst overseas?

Hello, I was in HK a week ago, and being stupid, I visited a walk-up for a massage and handjob. While I was there...

Would HSV cause the symptoms i am experiencing

I have genital herpes. Outbreaks are mild and controllable I recently had a urinalysis done for insurance purposes a...

Time frame of contracting herpes

If a female contracted herpes from her exclusive partner of over 15 years where the male has had no symptoms of herpe...

Blood comes through sperm

there are some pimple like things in my penis skin which are always present what are this? and some times blood comes...

Is it possible/likely that I have herpes now?

My girlfriend has type one herpes (the oral kind). And she performed oral sex on me 2 or 3 times. I am now worried ab...

Is this herpes?

I am very concerned with this lump that I discovered on my outer labia. It doesn't itch or burn or anything; there's...

HSV and risk of transmitting the virus

I was recently told by my doctor that I have the antibodies for hsv2 in my blood. I asked what that meant and he sai...

Does itching and swelling of my anus mean I hav...

I had unprotected sex a little over a month ago with someone that most likely has herpes. I have had no symptoms un...

False Positive HSV Test

How reliable is the HSV test? Me and my partner did the test. I was diagnosed positive with genital herpes and he wa...

Genital Herpes or Staph Infection?

I have hard bubble like blisters on my bikini line. I've had them once before and the doctor said it was a staph inf...

Boyfriend has herpes, how high are the chances ...

My boyfriend just told me he has herpes, we havent slept together yet but if we do, how high are the chances of me g...

Have I contracted genital herpes?

I am concerned I have contracted genital herpes. My boyfriend performed oral sex on me last night and woke this morn...

Elmiron and Acyclovir together

Can I take Acyclovir and Elmiron concurrently? I take 600 mg Elmiron for innerstitial cystitis and have also been ad...

Very worried about the spread of herpes to my baby

Hi! My husband and I were intimate last night. He had a outbreak and even though we used protection we are worried t...

Oral spread of genital herpes?

Hi im seeing this guy and while we were n highscHool his ex girlfriend said he have her herpes. he completely denies...

Photoepilation with Herpes Infection

Hello, I had my firat herpes outbreak 4 years ago and started having photodepilation February this year without tak...

STD test positive for herpes, What is the treat...

MY STD TEST CAME BACK SHOWING A LOW COUNT FOR HERPES,THE DR DIDNT TELL ME WHAT TYPE NOR GAVE ME ANY MEDICINE FOR IT....

Post Your Thoughts