Question :

Misdiagnoses of Genital Herpes?

I recently have been experiencing some vaginal pain and pain while urinating, I went to see a doctor 3 days ago and she diagnosed me with a yeast infection, prescribed me some medication and sent me home. I took the medication and the itching and burning subsided for about 4 or 5 hours. I also found that taking Ibupropfen helped the pain as well. Later that night however I woke up with an extremely painful burning sensation and went into urgent care. They ran some tests and told me that I had a urinary tract infection gave me some more medication. After taking that the burning went away and so did some of the pain. This morning I had received a call from the hospital saying that I tested positive for genital herpes and prescribed me Valacyclovir, I have only been on it for one day and all my symptoms are practically gone, except for some swelling and discomfort. I also have done a lot of research on genital herpes and looked at many photos and I just wanted to know if it’s common for my symptoms to go away so quickly if I do have herpes or if there is any possibility that I was misdiagnosed.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
The symptoms that you described are produced by the urinary tract infection, but additionally you were tested for HSV-2 and you had a positive result, which does not mean that you have a Herpes outbreak too. HSV is nowadays a very common infection, and most individuals show some evidence of HSV infection. The presence of HSV-2 can be used as an indirect measure of sexual activity in some cases. Up to 80% of herpes simplex infections are asymptomatic. The HSV infection worldwide has increased over the last several decades, making it a major public health concern. Prompt recognition of herpes simplex infection and early initiation of therapy are very important in the management of the disease. Some preventive measures include: avoiding contact with individuals who (often asymptomatically) are excreting the virus in saliva or genital secretions. Daily antiviral therapy can be given to reduce episodes of asymptomatic genital shedding and to further reduce the risk of transmission. Avoid touching saliva, skin, or mucous membranes that have sores. The sores and symptoms of herpes completely clear up in 2-3 weeks. But when you encounter certain stresses, emotional or physical, the virus may reactivate and cause new sores and symptoms.

Questions related to Genital Herpes

she had no signs till she told me

My girlfriend that if been with for almost 2 years just told me she has herpes from a past relationship I am showing ...

Got HSV2 but dont really know anything about it...

Hi Doc So my question is this. I was told a year ago that I had HSV-2 by my Dr. He said it was not a big deal and th...

Red spots on head of penis

I have three red spots on the head of my penis.Two on the rim and one on the head.The one on the head had a scab but ...

Herps

To spread herpes from sex, does the person have to be flaring, or could it be anytime

Pimples on penis and pubic area.

About 2 months after my last unprotected sex I got these small pimples on my penis which would last around 10-15 days...

Dormant herpes

Is it possible to carry the herpes virus for 30 years with absolutely no symptoms and still pass it on to someone else?

Girlfriend developing cold sores every time we ...

I have been seeing a woman for 3 months and when we have sex she will develop cold sores on her lips a few days later...

Did I contract Herpes whilst overseas?

Hello, I was in HK a week ago, and being stupid, I visited a walk-up for a massage and handjob. While I was there...

Would HSV cause the symptoms i am experiencing

I have genital herpes. Outbreaks are mild and controllable I recently had a urinalysis done for insurance purposes a...

Time frame of contracting herpes

If a female contracted herpes from her exclusive partner of over 15 years where the male has had no symptoms of herpe...

Blood comes through sperm

there are some pimple like things in my penis skin which are always present what are this? and some times blood comes...

Is it possible/likely that I have herpes now?

My girlfriend has type one herpes (the oral kind). And she performed oral sex on me 2 or 3 times. I am now worried ab...

Is this herpes?

I am very concerned with this lump that I discovered on my outer labia. It doesn't itch or burn or anything; there's...

HSV and risk of transmitting the virus

I was recently told by my doctor that I have the antibodies for hsv2 in my blood. I asked what that meant and he sai...

Does itching and swelling of my anus mean I hav...

I had unprotected sex a little over a month ago with someone that most likely has herpes. I have had no symptoms un...

False Positive HSV Test

How reliable is the HSV test? Me and my partner did the test. I was diagnosed positive with genital herpes and he wa...

Genital Herpes or Staph Infection?

I have hard bubble like blisters on my bikini line. I've had them once before and the doctor said it was a staph inf...

Boyfriend has herpes, how high are the chances ...

My boyfriend just told me he has herpes, we havent slept together yet but if we do, how high are the chances of me g...

Have I contracted genital herpes?

I am concerned I have contracted genital herpes. My boyfriend performed oral sex on me last night and woke this morn...

Elmiron and Acyclovir together

Can I take Acyclovir and Elmiron concurrently? I take 600 mg Elmiron for innerstitial cystitis and have also been ad...

Very worried about the spread of herpes to my baby

Hi! My husband and I were intimate last night. He had a outbreak and even though we used protection we are worried t...

Oral spread of genital herpes?

Hi im seeing this guy and while we were n highscHool his ex girlfriend said he have her herpes. he completely denies...

Photoepilation with Herpes Infection

Hello, I had my firat herpes outbreak 4 years ago and started having photodepilation February this year without tak...

STD test positive for herpes, What is the treat...

MY STD TEST CAME BACK SHOWING A LOW COUNT FOR HERPES,THE DR DIDNT TELL ME WHAT TYPE NOR GAVE ME ANY MEDICINE FOR IT....

Post Your Thoughts