HSV-2 infection and not know for years?? HELP!

Dear Ask The Doctor:  I just found out I have Herpes Type 2. I have been in a relationship for 4 years, we have a 2 year old together. He claims he has not cheated nor have I. Is it possible that I have had this for year and not known it? Also, why did they not test me for Herpes durring the precnancy?

Dear Patient:  Most people infected with HSV-2 are not aware of their infection because they never have sores, or they have very mild signs that they do not even notice or that they mistake for insect bites or another skin condition. You are not routinely tested for herpes during pregnancy unless you develop lesions. Once infected the virus stays lifelong and produce outbreaks at times. It is the active lesions that can transmit infection to your baby on contact during normal vaginal delivery, and so in such cases C-section is advised to prevent transmission to the baby.

Most people infected with HSV-2 are not aware of their infection because they never have sores, or they have very mild signs that they do not even notice or that they mistake for insect bites or another skin condition. You are not routinely tested for herpes during pregnancy unless you develop lesions. Once infected the virus stays lifelong and produce outbreaks at times. It is the active lesions that can transmit infection to your baby on contact during normal vaginal delivery, and so in such cases C-section is advised to prevent transmission to the baby.

Please login or signup to post comments!

@ASKTHEDOCTOR ON TWITTER
@ASKTHEDOCTOR
Official Question Provider for