Question :

HIV Testing Indeterminate. Then Negative ELISA, What does it Mean?

Hello first I will provide my sexual history, I have been with one person since 2009 and we had a son born in sept 2010. We broke up in January of 2011 this year and in late August 2010 I had unprotected sex with another girl. Well she contacted me saying she had tested positive for Chlamydia and she had been tested for hiv and it was negative. So I went to get tested until 10-14-11 for chlamydia and hiv, hep b, hep c, gonorrhea etc. A week later I called the Dr's office for my results, I was told "you tested negative for hiv and everything else except Chlamydia, we will call in a treatment to your pharmacy" So i started on the treatment doxycycline. I went to my Dr's appointment on the 25th which was this month because they had also done a Complete Blood Count and checked my cholesterol etc. So i wanted to know those results. The Dr started off telling me about my cholesterol and that I was ok, Then all of a sudden he says "your hiv test came back reactive". I couldn't believe it I asked to read the test results and when I read it the test said "Western Blot INDETERMINATE as it only reacted to P24" I believe they did the ELISA test before doing the Western blot to confirm. Well this Dr goes on to say I am Hiv positive and treats me like im nothing. I ask to be retested because I know I don't engage in high risk behaviors such as iv-drug usage or multiple sex partners, he says "well the results are confirmed you are hiv positive but ok, we can retest and start you on antivirals." I ask if I can have a letter to take the rest of the week off while i cope and try to deal with this and he said "You can go back to work, you have to deal with this now".. He also didn't offer any sort of counseling or anything, the guy treated me like if I was an animal. I left the Dr's office devastated and told my family and my Son's mom of the results. Everyone was devastated no one could believe it. I was urged to get a second opinion immediately, so the next day I was taken to Mexico (I live in Arizona) and they ran the Elisa test again two times. From a freshly drawn blood sample. It came back negative twice!. So I came back to Arizona and picked up my medical records and results from the Dr I had been seeing, they seemed to be hesitant in giving me the paperwork. But I insisted, afterwards I took my paperwork and results to a different Dr. This new Dr told me the First results given to me by my Dr we Indeterminate or inconclusive and that they meant nothing either way (either positive or negative) And that he couldn't go by the Studies done in Mexico. So he ordered a Viral load test saying that would detect the actual virus as soon as 1-2 weeks after infection. I went to get blood drawn for the 3rd day in a row and am anxiously awaiting the results. My question is could it just be a mistake that the first Elisa test picked up the antibodies from my Chlamydia infection and that's waht caused the false-positive and indeterminate western blot? Because on 10-26-11 I had two negative ELISA HIV tests. Is there a chance I have HIV? I'm very scared and anxious. Please help me.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
This is a very difficult phase that you are going through, being told that one has HIV is very distressing and I can relate to your concern. An indeterminate or inconclusive western blot may mean that the infection is very recent and levels have not yet reached a detectable level, there may be current infections like syphillis, malaria or viruses that can cross-react with the test or there is a procedural problem in which the sample was contaminated or some clerical error.
In a general low-risk population, indeterminate results on western blot occur on in 1 in 5,000 patients. Most of the them usually can be confirmed on repeat testing within a month or in certain cases 6 months are required to tell whether the patient is positive or not. Since two ELISA tests have been negative, your chances of being tested positive in a repeat Western Blot or a Viral Load PCR is low. I hope I could clear some of your doubts and concerns.

Questions related to HIV and AIDS

Sex with 2 different prostitutes

Hi am 23 year old, I had sex with two different prostitutes past 6days. In my past I had tuberculosis also in which I...

Questions regarding hiv symptoms

Hiv questions about symptoms, been feeling sick need to know if my symptoms match those

HIV spread through kissing (5 second kiss)

Went to strip club and french kissed a stripper for just 5 seconds. i am not sure about the cuts and wounds in her an...

Can i be infected with HIV this way?

I had the worst fear of my life today. I went to a clinic to get tested for flu. And then, as i was talking to him, i...

Should I take time and test for HIV in this typ...

In 2007, a friend and I were together at his house roughing around like young boys do. In the midst, my friend had cu...

hiv testing

Had hiv blood test 27 days after unprotected sex. I went on to habe 5 encounters with this person with unknown status...

Window period of HIV antibody test

I had a possible exposure to HIV. I discussed the events with my PCP. My doctor ordered a STD panel (for my own peace...

Am I being paranoid?

Hi doc , I was sexually assaulted a few weeks back .. I went to the hospital right after it happened and got a kit...

high risk hiv exposure

My boyfriend shared a needle during drug use(first and only time trying) with someone who was hiv positive. he tested...

Heat inactivated HIV into bloodstream

Ok so my question is this. When there is heat inactivated HIV and it gets in your bloodstream like injected accidenta...

Black sum what bump in pines

Hi my name is aldo im 17 and i have a black sum what bump in my pines ilve been using a fleshligth lately dont know i...

Can HIV be spread and AIDS develops in this way?

7 years ago I was hospitalized. I was NAKED and masturbated on a chair with broken surface. Then I felt itchy around ...

HIV test 2 years ago negative but still worried

I had an possible expusure to HIV 2 years ago. I made a test in a laboratory recently and was negative. But im stil...

OCD and Aids/Herpes

I am severely OCD and would like to know from a medical standpoint if it is possible to get HIV and/or Herpes from to...

Rash from HIV?

I keep getting these rashes over the last 2-3 weeks. They feel warm to touch and sometimes itchy. Are these HIV rash...

HIV and Aids

What are the signs and symptoms of HIV and Aids after five to six months

Can i get AIDS or HIV with oral sex?

HI doctor im here to ask you if i can get aids by giving oral unprotected sex to a man, without semen and precum exch...

Recurring fever and HIV chance

Dear Sir, I had a protected sex with a sex worker. I used a tissue paper to clean my penis which was wiped by the...

Does having unprotected sex increase chance of ...

I had a sexual relationship without the use a condom by my boy friend since September 2013. and in march 2014 i made...

Information on HIV contraction

In 2012 I was out with my friends on my way home from a cinema, we stumbled across some keys on the floor, we inquisi...

Is HIV transmission possible through tears?

About 3 days ago I was hanging out with a friend and her cousin who I have been told is HIV positive. While hanging o...

HIV positive in screening test

Good day doc! last january i was exposed in hiv, i developed toncillitis after 3 weeks. i under gone 3 screening tes...

False positive p24 test for HIV

Hello doctor, i read the above blogs but i did not see anybdoy having being tested false positve as is in my case, m...

HIV exposure possible after trauma?

Hey Dr. Actually,I really needs your experiences Last month,I was in the gym,when I was using a tool (used also by o...

HIV transfer via saliva

Can HIV be transferred to a baby by saliva like a sneeze? Even a small chance?

Can I get HIV if partner's HIV test was negative?

Can you get hiv from having unprotected sex with partners who are hiv negative? such as 2 negative hiv people having...

Symptoms of Cold an Cough - Could I Have HIV?

About two months ago i had sex with a girl protected but oral was not protected about. 2 to 3 weeks i got sick it wa...

Afraid of getting HIV from tissue paper

Hello. I was at work and went to the toilet(with nr.2) I always have hemorroid and this time it was bleeding :(. The ...

Inturrupted HIV post exposure prophylaxis for o...

I am a junior doctor sir.. i came into contact with hiv blood on 25-12-2011. at that time i have a small 24 hour inj...

LIVER AND KIDNEY FAILURE ON A HIV YOUNG MAN

I took my son to the emergency room he was so sick and hiv positive. his spleen and pancreas was infected so they de...

Is one HIV Test enough?

I am a 27 years old male. I had unprotected sex two years back. After few weeks of the exposure, I started experienc...

Can viruses, like HIV, live inside scar tissue ...

Can viruses, like HIV, live inside scar tissue without infecting the host via the bloodstream? Hi please doctor i wa...

Unprotected oral sex - Could I get infected wit...

Hi, I RECEIVED an UNPROTECTED oral sex from a sex worker in Indonesia. I had a small cut in the top of my penis but ...

Weakness and yellow tongue, could it be due to ...

I have a question about HIV. For the last 6 months I have been continuously worried that I may have become infected ...

Had anal sex - Could I be HIV positive?

I had anal sew with a male for the first time ever, in febuary this year, i was not sure if a condom was used, recen...

Could I be HIV positive after unsafe sex?

I did usafe sex 1996 after that I marrid and I have 2 douters and 2 sons in good health .now I am afraid to chekup h...

Can I still be HIV positive even after negative...

I had a protected sex on 1st March 2011. Even though for safer side i tested after 3 months in 3 different labs. All...

Swollen Lymh Nodes after travelling, HIV?

Dear DR I stay in Zimbabwe and have a female South African friend who stays in Durban. I flew there in May and staye...

What is the cause of my painful blisters?

I kissed and had sexual intercourse a girl that had a "fever blister" when I was about 16 years old (I'm 21 now) and...

Unprotected anal intercourse and flu-like sympt...

Dear doctor, on oct 5 i had unprotected men to men anal intercourse. after sex, i realised that there were 2 small c...

Tested negative for HIV by ELISA

I have test by elisa method the result was negative bt what is means of this value.. cut of value 0.396 and patient ...

Does the western blot test for hiv type two

Hello, when I was pregnant I was diagnosed with oral hairy leukoplakia. As soon as i was diagnosed with it my doctor...

Is it possible HIV transmission without penetra...

Hi, I have a few encounter that I have questionable doubts about, maybe someone can help clarify my risks. Here are ...

HIV and kissing an unknown HIV status individual

Hello i kissed with a boy i dont know his hiv a satus but i have gingivitis since then i have not been on exposure i...

HIV transmission chances without anal intercourse

Hi, I was just wondering the chances that I could have been exposed to HIV. I recently met up with a friend who is H...

Very worried about possible HIV symptoms

Hi I am freaking out and need some advise to help ease my anxiety. I am a 20 yr old male and 4 weeks ago I had unpro...

Flu-like symptoms after unprotected sex and tes...

I recently had unprotected sex (about 8 days ago) and in the last couple days have experienced many flu-like symptom...

HIV Risks of One-Night Stand

I am a recovering alcoholic who relapsed and had a one night stand with another male whom I just met that evening. W...

HIV Worried after episode of unprotected sex

I have recently been going through a slight mental breakdown involving a bad breakup with my wife. When i found out ...

Unprotected sex, uncircumcised with HPV when te...

Hello, Last night I had unprotected sex with a woman from a bar who was bi sexual and in an open relationship with h...

Post Your Thoughts