Question :

Masturbation and Potassium loss

I have been recently diagnosed with low potassium levels. We can't seem to figure out why. Could man loose potassium from masturbating too much?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Hypokalemia is a common clinical problem, the cause of which can usually be determined from the history. In some cases, however, the diagnosis is not readily apparent. Though human semen contains potassium, it may not be sufficient enough to cause hypokalemia (low potassium) even with successive ejaculations. There are many reasons for a decreased potassium level.
i) Low potassium caused by a excessive excretion from the kidneys : This is seen with renovascular disease, malignant hypertension, renin secreting tumor and primary hyperaldosteronism.
ii) Low potassium due to extra-renal potassium loss : Seen with diarrhea, vomiting, diabetic ketoacidosis, laxative abuse, skin losses from sweating and drugs like aminoglycosides and penicillin.
iii) Transcellular potassium shift (due to the movement of potassium from extracellular fluid into the cells) seen with insulin use, vitamin B12 supplementation, alkalosis, hypokalemic periodic paralysis and anabolic states (fasting).
Diagnosis and treatment of low potassium will depend on detecting the cause of potassium loss. Further evaluation and investigations may be required by your doctor for a confirmatory diagnosis. Firstly any cause of trans-cellular potassium shift needs to be ruled out. Then a 24 hour urine potassium and urine sodium is done. If the urine potassium is <20 meq/day, it is due to extra-renal potassium and if urine potassium is >20 meq/day it may be due to renal potassium loss.

Questions related to General

Irregular Heart beat? Difficulty Breathing?

I've been having alot of joint pain lately in my elbows and hands, as well as my neck/shoulders. I've also been havin...

After effects of colostomy

11 years ago I had a colostomy done. I am in a wheelchair. Right after I had it done I noticed leaking from my anus...

Cracking and Twisting Bones

My bones crack all the time, especially my ankles when I walk or even squat. My knees, elbows, wrists and inner thigh...

Help us as I think it could be serious as it ha...

My boyfriend suffered from enlarged fingers and toes which occasionally fills with a puss looking substances which is...

Tummy troubles several times a week

I have always had a sensitive stomach with foods that are high in dairy (cheese, icecream) or high in grease (fried f...

Distended Stomach Due to lack of Muscles

I was anorexic for many years and although I recently got to a normal weight, my stomach suddenly became distended. T...

Crazy blood work for 2+ years with crazy sympto...

Ok So I have had really bad symptoms for the last 2-3 years. Tired, no energy, can sleep 12+ hours a day, hair fallin...

What to do in times of this foot injury without...

If a beer bottle or hammer is dropped forcefully or smashed on the arch of your foot, what will happen, when will it ...

Vaginal skin hanging down

My boyfriend and i had a bit of rough sex the other night now it hurt to touch down there and i took a mirror to it a...

I can't stop shivering

Through out the day i get shivers like every 10 minutes even if it's boiling hot and sometimes i get them and they la...

Will I grow taller?

Will I grow taller at age 13? My period started a year ago

Home treatments for abscess

Is there a good home treatment for a recurring abscess?

Possible reaction to TB test

Hi. I had a TB test done yesterday. Now I have a headache, loose bowels, and feel bleh. I was not sick yesterday an...

PMS Musty odor in sweat

Just before my period, I can smell a musty odor in my sweat. What is this? Is it my hormones that I smell?

Diagnosis of 5 MT head

I am a nursing student in an orthopedic unit, and I have a patient admitted with a right foot diabetic ulcer. One of ...

Brought to ER with SOB/CP checked for Heart con...

Should I be worried about a D-dimer level of 656?

Over All health, General Concern

I have not been feeling my self recently. My emotions are all over the place and I have been feel sick, anywhere from...

Birth control

Hello how are you? Me and my husband had unprotected sex the first day i started taking birth control pills , does th...

Jock itch or yeast infection

can having a severe case of jock itch or yeast infection cause your inguinal lymph nodes to swell and if so what wou...

Light pink bleeding

Hi. I am a healthy 26 year old. My lmp was July 12th. I came home to my husband from vacation on the 23rd and have be...

pains

Hi, I have a very short torso and as my ribs being only a few inches above hip bones. If I slouch, they rub together ...

fat belly, slim frame.

im 36, male, 6ft 1in, 12 stone (76 kg). I have recently started gaining a lot of weight, ive always had a thin slim f...

Help! Am I pregnant

Okay so here is the deal, I started my period July 10th and last until around the 16th I think it was around the 13th...

Menstrual Cycle

My Period has been trying to start, but I am only having a tiny amount/no blood flow. Also, when I normally have my p...

My mother has diabetes

my mother age 81 has diabetes, last night she over indulged on cherries and is sick. she is throwing up and has had s...

Post Your Thoughts