Question :

Drinking night before blood test and elevated liver enzymes

I received results from a blood test that show I have a higher than normal level of liver enzymes in my blood. I am a 21 year old male and have no other symptoms and am otherwise healthy. I do not take any medication and I don't drink excessively. However, I might have had something to drink the night before the blood test (approximately 7-8 hours before). Could this have affected the results? I expressed some concern to the doctor, so he did a physical examination (felt my liver on either side), but couldn't feel anything. He said that he isn't worried yet. I am going in for a retest in a few weeks. How concerned should I be?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Yes, drinking (I consider it to be alcohol) the night before your blood test could be a possibility of increase in liver enzymes. Your liver enzymes may settle down slowly within a few days, and you may want to make sure to abstain from drinking, atleast a week before your scheduled blood test.

Questions related to General

Cleaning up someone else's blood

The repairman came to my apartment to replace my washing machine. He had a cut on his index finger that was bandaged;...

Irregular Heart beat? Difficulty Breathing?

I've been having alot of joint pain lately in my elbows and hands, as well as my neck/shoulders. I've also been havin...

After effects of colostomy

11 years ago I had a colostomy done. I am in a wheelchair. Right after I had it done I noticed leaking from my anus...

Cracking and Twisting Bones

My bones crack all the time, especially my ankles when I walk or even squat. My knees, elbows, wrists and inner thigh...

Help us as I think it could be serious as it ha...

My boyfriend suffered from enlarged fingers and toes which occasionally fills with a puss looking substances which is...

Tummy troubles several times a week

I have always had a sensitive stomach with foods that are high in dairy (cheese, icecream) or high in grease (fried f...

Distended Stomach Due to lack of Muscles

I was anorexic for many years and although I recently got to a normal weight, my stomach suddenly became distended. T...

Crazy blood work for 2+ years with crazy sympto...

Ok So I have had really bad symptoms for the last 2-3 years. Tired, no energy, can sleep 12+ hours a day, hair fallin...

What to do in times of this foot injury without...

If a beer bottle or hammer is dropped forcefully or smashed on the arch of your foot, what will happen, when will it ...

Vaginal skin hanging down

My boyfriend and i had a bit of rough sex the other night now it hurt to touch down there and i took a mirror to it a...

I can't stop shivering

Through out the day i get shivers like every 10 minutes even if it's boiling hot and sometimes i get them and they la...

Will I grow taller?

Will I grow taller at age 13? My period started a year ago

Home treatments for abscess

Is there a good home treatment for a recurring abscess?

Possible reaction to TB test

Hi. I had a TB test done yesterday. Now I have a headache, loose bowels, and feel bleh. I was not sick yesterday an...

PMS Musty odor in sweat

Just before my period, I can smell a musty odor in my sweat. What is this? Is it my hormones that I smell?

Diagnosis of 5 MT head

I am a nursing student in an orthopedic unit, and I have a patient admitted with a right foot diabetic ulcer. One of ...

Brought to ER with SOB/CP checked for Heart con...

Should I be worried about a D-dimer level of 656?

Over All health, General Concern

I have not been feeling my self recently. My emotions are all over the place and I have been feel sick, anywhere from...

Birth control

Hello how are you? Me and my husband had unprotected sex the first day i started taking birth control pills , does th...

Jock itch or yeast infection

can having a severe case of jock itch or yeast infection cause your inguinal lymph nodes to swell and if so what wou...

Light pink bleeding

Hi. I am a healthy 26 year old. My lmp was July 12th. I came home to my husband from vacation on the 23rd and have be...

pains

Hi, I have a very short torso and as my ribs being only a few inches above hip bones. If I slouch, they rub together ...

fat belly, slim frame.

im 36, male, 6ft 1in, 12 stone (76 kg). I have recently started gaining a lot of weight, ive always had a thin slim f...

Help! Am I pregnant

Okay so here is the deal, I started my period July 10th and last until around the 16th I think it was around the 13th...

Menstrual Cycle

My Period has been trying to start, but I am only having a tiny amount/no blood flow. Also, when I normally have my p...

Post Your Thoughts