Question :

Shoulder, neck and back pain with a negative MRI

I am a 35 year old male who is in pretty good shape. I am 5' 9" and I weigh 150lbs and I have always been a pretty active person. About 2 years ago I hurt my shoulder at work lifting a server up to about head height which weight about 60lbs. I saw a ortho and they said it was probably a muscle strain and they sent me to physical therapy for 6 weeks which seemed to help a little. Over the next few months it seemed to feel better although at times it was tender. About 6 months after the injury I started to get a nurning sensation in my left shoulder in the same area of the original injury. It is about 3 inches below the bottom of my neck and about 3 inches over from my spine. I would ice it and take iadvil and it seemed to help, but never really made it go away. It would last a couple hours sometiimes and then a full day sometimes. It seemed like gong to sleep would help. I would wake up and I would be sore where it had been burning, but the burning sensation would be gone. Over the past year this has continued and become more frequent and lasts longer. About 1 month ago my shoulder was burning and bothering me quite a bit and the tension was in my neck and upper back and then the burning was also in this area. I went to the emergency room and there was an xray done and the doctor thought I had a pinched nerve and recommended I see a ortho. I have seen the ortho and he sent me to have a MRI done on my shoulder and neck. There was even a marker put on my shoulder to help identify the area. I went back to my ortho and he has told me that he sees nothing in the MRI that he can say is the problem and fix it. He did a trigger point injection which helps a little, but it has not made the burning go away. My neck and back have felt better even before the injection, but my shoulder is no better. It burns like it is on fire for days at a time. No one activity seems to make it start. It has been very random but more frequent and lasts longer and longer as more time goes by. You can visibly see the swelling in my shoulder at the area. When you push in on that area you can feel little nodules in there. I really do not know what to do. This is affecting me at work and at home. I can't do the things I want to do with my kids. I am even depressed and I feel hopeless because I know what I am feeling and no one can seem to tell me what is wrong. If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. I don't know what to do, but I know that I can't accept that I have to live with this for the rest of my life.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
 According to your description it would be important to rule out a cervical nerve compression. In the younger patients, cervical radiculopathy may be a result of a disc herniation or an acute injury causing impingement of an exiting nerve. In the older patient, cervical radiculopathy is often a result of spinal canal narrowing from bone (osteophyte) formation, decreased disc height and degenerative changes due to aging process. The treatment strategy usually includes: start a physical therapy program aimed to control pain and inflammation, and the use of anti-inflammatory medication (“motrin”, “aleve”), also you should have a re-education of habits and posture to improve your quality of life. You also should be independent in a stretching and strengthening program and continue with these exercises under the periodic supervision of a physical therapist initially and then completely on your own. If your condition fails to improve with a comprehensive rehabilitation program and selective injections, you may be considering a re-evaluation by an Orthopedic surgeon to explore other treatment options more aggressive.

Questions related to General

Irregular Heart beat? Difficulty Breathing?

I've been having alot of joint pain lately in my elbows and hands, as well as my neck/shoulders. I've also been havin...

Cracking and Twisting Bones

My bones crack all the time, especially my ankles when I walk or even squat. My knees, elbows, wrists and inner thigh...

Help us as I think it could be serious as it ha...

My boyfriend suffered from enlarged fingers and toes which occasionally fills with a puss looking substances which is...

Tummy troubles several times a week

I have always had a sensitive stomach with foods that are high in dairy (cheese, icecream) or high in grease (fried f...

Distended Stomach Due to lack of Muscles

I was anorexic for many years and although I recently got to a normal weight, my stomach suddenly became distended. T...

Crazy blood work for 2+ years with crazy sympto...

Ok So I have had really bad symptoms for the last 2-3 years. Tired, no energy, can sleep 12+ hours a day, hair fallin...

What to do in times of this foot injury without...

If a beer bottle or hammer is dropped forcefully or smashed on the arch of your foot, what will happen, when will it ...

Vaginal skin hanging down

My boyfriend and i had a bit of rough sex the other night now it hurt to touch down there and i took a mirror to it a...

I can't stop shivering

Through out the day i get shivers like every 10 minutes even if it's boiling hot and sometimes i get them and they la...

Will I grow taller?

Will I grow taller at age 13? My period started a year ago

Home treatments for abscess

Is there a good home treatment for a recurring abscess?

Possible reaction to TB test

Hi. I had a TB test done yesterday. Now I have a headache, loose bowels, and feel bleh. I was not sick yesterday an...

PMS Musty odor in sweat

Just before my period, I can smell a musty odor in my sweat. What is this? Is it my hormones that I smell?

Diagnosis of 5 MT head

I am a nursing student in an orthopedic unit, and I have a patient admitted with a right foot diabetic ulcer. One of ...

Brought to ER with SOB/CP checked for Heart con...

Should I be worried about a D-dimer level of 656?

Over All health, General Concern

I have not been feeling my self recently. My emotions are all over the place and I have been feel sick, anywhere from...

Birth control

Hello how are you? Me and my husband had unprotected sex the first day i started taking birth control pills , does th...

Jock itch or yeast infection

can having a severe case of jock itch or yeast infection cause your inguinal lymph nodes to swell and if so what wou...

Light pink bleeding

Hi. I am a healthy 26 year old. My lmp was July 12th. I came home to my husband from vacation on the 23rd and have be...

pains

Hi, I have a very short torso and as my ribs being only a few inches above hip bones. If I slouch, they rub together ...

fat belly, slim frame.

im 36, male, 6ft 1in, 12 stone (76 kg). I have recently started gaining a lot of weight, ive always had a thin slim f...

Help! Am I pregnant

Okay so here is the deal, I started my period July 10th and last until around the 16th I think it was around the 13th...

Menstrual Cycle

My Period has been trying to start, but I am only having a tiny amount/no blood flow. Also, when I normally have my p...

My mother has diabetes

my mother age 81 has diabetes, last night she over indulged on cherries and is sick. she is throwing up and has had s...

chemical peel diaster

I went and had a chemical peel done on my face about two months ago. Well the last peel I had burned my skin in certa...

Post Your Thoughts