Question :

Scared of endoscopy, What are the chances that I have some kind of cancer?

About 7 months ago I suffered a period of two to three weeks of some heartburn, some acid reflex, and increased gas with some pain in the chest area. The symptoms disappeared for a month, then came back for once or twice in the last 5 months. I checked with a doctor who ordered a barium test and an ultrasound test for the abdomenal area. The ultrasound showed a fatty liver and the barium test showed a delay of passage to the duodenum. My blood tests also showed elevated liver enzymes, elevated sugar levels (pre-diabetes) range, and high cholesterol levels in the range of 260. I just visted a different doctor and he wants me to do an endoscopy, which I am afraid that it might show some form of cancer. I am very affraid of the prospects although I have no physical signs of any problems. What are the chances that I have some kind of cancer

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
I do understand your concern. What your doctor is trying to identify by doing and endoscopy is do determine the damage to the lower end of the esophagus by the reflux. There is sometimes a change in the characteristics of the normal cells in the oesophagus wherein the normal squamous cells are replaced by columnar cells. Though there is a risk of developing cancer of the esophagus due to this change, with adequate treatment a reversal is possible. I hope the information helps, take care.

Questions related to Acid Reflux

The best pill for good sex for a person with Mo...

I suffer from Moderate Hypertension. Needed a pill to enjoy good sex. Will Viagra or Cialis be OK for me? Kinsly reco...

Relieve of Heartburn

I have really bad heart burn, acid reflux. I have tried tums, rolaids, zantac, phrilosec, nexium, and a few other pre...

Took medication and vitamins with breakfast and...

Here is the thing, I take Prozac along with my vitamins with breakfast every morning. One of the vitamnins I took ...

Help! Stomach pain!

HI im freaking out off and on i get epigastric pain. It feel like a pressure or a fullness. I burp and ill get aci...

Perscription and herbal supplements

I want to know if garcinia cambogia or coffee bean extract will interfere with any perscriptions I am taking I am on ...

Difficulty swallowing food

If I eat too fast I have a hard time digesting the food and I may have to throw it up.

What should I do go see a doctor and let them c...

Is it normal for 3 puss ball to form in less then 2 months?

I need an answer quick

I would like to ask,I am from Ghana a friend of my bought me Zyrexin worlds strongest sexual enhancer ...I read about...

Extreme sore throat -need relief

4 days ago I began to have a sore throat and couch. It quickly became intense; excruciating pain, could not sleep or ...

Left side stomach pain

i have left side stomach pain and burning near the border of chest and stomach i feel burning and pain in armpit also...

Help! I have indigestion, excessive gas, and ex...

After I ate last night I got a feeling of pressure in my chest and I have been belching allot which relives the press...

Brushed his teeth from toilet

Should I take my grandson to ER he brushed his teeth with water from toilet!

Why do I have back pain when taking deep breath?

Had pain when taking a deep breath on right side middle back. Had gallbladder out after HIDA scan showed 2% functioni...

I can't stop burping!

I can't stop burping! Its been going on for a couple days now and its non stop. I can't sleep because it keeps me awa...

Fell like golf ball stuck in my throat every ti...

i feel like i have a golf ball stuck in my throat everytime i swallow my spit. not when i eat or drink though. it get...

Sore throat/esophagus

I just vomited about an hour ago. It was very painful in my throat when I did it. Even afterward, it is still painful...

Bubble out of my anus? Could it be hernia?

So I been having heartburn for 2 days and then it went away, but then I was feeling constipated and I used the restro...

Floating stool with dark color

Hello. Since last one year my stool is floating. It's dark in colour and toilet water also turns very dark. I don't ...

I have swallowed something into my lungs causin...

So a few days ago i was eating brekfast and when the food went down into the pipe around the middle of the chest i st...

Nurf always throbbing

Why is my nurf always throb andmy head so pain

bloating, acid reflux, thick saliva...

Hello! My mother is 57 and she has these symptoms, after she eats her stomach bloats right away, and after gets some ...

Solution for Heartburn and gastritis with bile ...

I had a large non-malignant polyp removed from my colon a year back with surgery. I had severe cramps in my stomach a...

Small amount of red blood mixed in my stool

Lately I have been getting stomach aches under the breastbone on left side, backache, gas, and nausea. It only hap...

Sudden onset of GERD - what is the cause?

Hi there I'm a young male who lives a generally healthy lifestyle (very little alcohol, moderate exercise, minimal ju...

Is it acid reflux or something else causing phl...

I have been diagnosed with acid reflux, however I'm not convinced that's my problem. I do not experience heart burn,...

Post Your Thoughts