Question :

Acid reflux

When I lie down at night I can sometimes taste acid coming up in my mouth. I do not take any meds and would like to know the best meds to take. I am 45 and sometimes take an acid reducer. Any advice would be appreciated.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a chronic digestive disease that occurs when stomach acid or, occasionally, bile flows back (refluxes) into your food pipe (esophagus). The backwash of acid irritates the lining of your esophagus and causes GERD signs and symptoms.
This can cause heartburn, chest pain, dry cough, difficulty swallowing and hoarseness. Treatment for heartburn and other signs and symptoms of GERD usually begins with over-the-counter medications that control acid. If you don't find relief within a few weeks, your doctor may recommend other treatments, including medications and surgery. I would suggest you to start taking over the counter Antacids, such as Maalox, Mylanta, Gelusil, Rolaids and Tums, may provide quick relief. But antacids alone won't heal an inflamed esophagus damaged by stomach acid.
Also you will need to wait at least two to three hours after eating before lying down or going to bed, elevate the head of your bed, avoid smoking, avoid common triggers such as fatty or fried foods, alcohol, chocolate, mint, garlic, onion and caffeine may make heartburn worse. If your acid reflux persists after following these recommendations, consult your primary care physician for a more detailed evaluation and prescription of more potent antacids and medications to help reduce and heal your esophagus. I wish you a prompt recovery.

Questions related to Acid Reflux

The best pill for good sex for a person with Mo...

I suffer from Moderate Hypertension. Needed a pill to enjoy good sex. Will Viagra or Cialis be OK for me? Kinsly reco...

Relieve of Heartburn

I have really bad heart burn, acid reflux. I have tried tums, rolaids, zantac, phrilosec, nexium, and a few other pre...

Took medication and vitamins with breakfast and...

Here is the thing, I take Prozac along with my vitamins with breakfast every morning. One of the vitamnins I took ...

Help! Stomach pain!

HI im freaking out off and on i get epigastric pain. It feel like a pressure or a fullness. I burp and ill get aci...

Morning Sickness from GERD (only if i wake up b...

I have a close friend and roomate, who can not wake up before 6AM or he vomits and feels terrible the rest of the day...

Perscription and herbal supplements

I want to know if garcinia cambogia or coffee bean extract will interfere with any perscriptions I am taking I am on ...

Difficulty swallowing food

If I eat too fast I have a hard time digesting the food and I may have to throw it up.

What should I do go see a doctor and let them c...

Is it normal for 3 puss ball to form in less then 2 months?

I need an answer quick

I would like to ask,I am from Ghana a friend of my bought me Zyrexin worlds strongest sexual enhancer ...I read about...

Extreme sore throat -need relief

4 days ago I began to have a sore throat and couch. It quickly became intense; excruciating pain, could not sleep or ...

Left side stomach pain

i have left side stomach pain and burning near the border of chest and stomach i feel burning and pain in armpit also...

Help! I have indigestion, excessive gas, and ex...

After I ate last night I got a feeling of pressure in my chest and I have been belching allot which relives the press...

Brushed his teeth from toilet

Should I take my grandson to ER he brushed his teeth with water from toilet!

Why do I have back pain when taking deep breath?

Had pain when taking a deep breath on right side middle back. Had gallbladder out after HIDA scan showed 2% functioni...

I can't stop burping!

I can't stop burping! Its been going on for a couple days now and its non stop. I can't sleep because it keeps me awa...

Fell like golf ball stuck in my throat every ti...

i feel like i have a golf ball stuck in my throat everytime i swallow my spit. not when i eat or drink though. it get...

Sore throat/esophagus

I just vomited about an hour ago. It was very painful in my throat when I did it. Even afterward, it is still painful...

Bubble out of my anus? Could it be hernia?

So I been having heartburn for 2 days and then it went away, but then I was feeling constipated and I used the restro...

Floating stool with dark color

Hello. Since last one year my stool is floating. It's dark in colour and toilet water also turns very dark. I don't ...

I have swallowed something into my lungs causin...

So a few days ago i was eating brekfast and when the food went down into the pipe around the middle of the chest i st...

Nurf always throbbing

Why is my nurf always throb andmy head so pain

bloating, acid reflux, thick saliva...

Hello! My mother is 57 and she has these symptoms, after she eats her stomach bloats right away, and after gets some ...

Solution for Heartburn and gastritis with bile ...

I had a large non-malignant polyp removed from my colon a year back with surgery. I had severe cramps in my stomach a...

Small amount of red blood mixed in my stool

Lately I have been getting stomach aches under the breastbone on left side, backache, gas, and nausea. It only hap...

Sudden onset of GERD - what is the cause?

Hi there I'm a young male who lives a generally healthy lifestyle (very little alcohol, moderate exercise, minimal ju...

Post Your Thoughts