Question :

Acid reflux and sore throat

Nearly two years ago, when I was 18, I started experiencing a constant sore throat, not the same as a sore throat I get when I have a cold, but more like a dry, irritated feeling. I am a vocal performance major, so my voice is very important to me. I went to an ENT right away, and he diagnosed me with acid reflux. I started taking various doses and various different PPI's (I've tried everything from OTC Prilosec and Prevacid, Nexium, Kapidex, and Aciphex), raised the head of my bed, watched my diet, didn't eat before bed, and everything else that is supposed to prevent reflux. The diet made me lose weight, which wasn't the best thing because I wasn't even close to overweight to begin with. I had a healthy BMI of 20 before, the diet took me down to just below 19. Unfortunately, nothing has helped. I did not have any other symptoms other than throat symptoms (no heartburn). Thankfully there has never been any hoarseness involved and I have still been able to sing. But nothing I do seems to relieve my throat symptoms, and in the past few months, things have gotten worse. I have been on Prevacid continually for a year and a half, and have weaned myself down to just 15 mg before bed, and have been doing that for about 8 months. Lately, I've started having a little trouble swallowing liquids (but not solids). It feels like my chest tightens and then relaxes throughout the day. I also have ear pain. The throat irritation varies from day to day, and it is in different locations everyday. Sometimes it's in the back of the roof of my mouth, sometimes it's at the base of my throat, and sometimes it's on the sides of my throat. And in the last month, I have had mild heartburn, where I never had this before. Since the Prevacid, and every other PPI I have tried, isn't helping, and I do not want to become dependent on a medication, I want to stop the PPI use. How can I do this safely? Could the long-term PPI use actually be causing the mild heartburn that I've had in the last month that I never had before? And could this really be acid reflux if none of the treatments work? What else could it be? If it is acid reflux, what other options do I have? I am at my whit's end, as singing is very important to me and an irritated throat makes it more difficult ( although thankfully I have not lost range or had any changes in tone quality and production). I feel desperate and depressed. I can't have any tests because my insurance won't pay for much. If you have any suggestions, that would be great!

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Most of the time, GERD will persist as a chronic condition. Stopping the PPI will only worsen it. I do understand you are apprehensive about taking medicines for a very long time but you do need to take the PPI. I commend you for doing all the supportive measures for GERD (elevating head of bed, not eating before bed, etc). There are also other things you have to avoid: coffee, pop, tea, smoking (if you are a smoker), and stress. These things also increase acid production, hence, should be avoided. It seems to me your symptoms are not controlled by the PPI you are using. It is also noteworthy that PPI use should be continuous for at least 4 weeks; it may be taken on an as-needed basis but taking it continuously usually has better outcomes. Most doctors would maximize the dose of PPIs first; if it still doesn’t work, hiatal hernia is considered and some cases may need surgery (fundoplication). I would suggest you go to your ENT again so your throat can be re-examined and reassessed. You may also ask if an endoscopy will be needed to better evaluate your condition since this has been going on for too long. I do hope this helps and I wish you well always.

Questions related to Acid Reflux

The best pill for good sex for a person with Mo...

I suffer from Moderate Hypertension. Needed a pill to enjoy good sex. Will Viagra or Cialis be OK for me? Kinsly reco...

Perscription and herbal supplements

I want to know if garcinia cambogia or coffee bean extract will interfere with any perscriptions I am taking I am on ...

Difficulty swallowing food

If I eat too fast I have a hard time digesting the food and I may have to throw it up.

What should I do go see a doctor and let them c...

Is it normal for 3 puss ball to form in less then 2 months?

Extreme sore throat -need relief

4 days ago I began to have a sore throat and couch. It quickly became intense; excruciating pain, could not sleep or ...

Left side stomach pain

i have left side stomach pain and burning near the border of chest and stomach i feel burning and pain in armpit also...

Help! I have indigestion, excessive gas, and ex...

After I ate last night I got a feeling of pressure in my chest and I have been belching allot which relives the press...

Brushed his teeth from toilet

Should I take my grandson to ER he brushed his teeth with water from toilet!

Why do I have back pain when taking deep breath?

Had pain when taking a deep breath on right side middle back. Had gallbladder out after HIDA scan showed 2% functioni...

I can't stop burping!

I can't stop burping! Its been going on for a couple days now and its non stop. I can't sleep because it keeps me awa...

Fell like golf ball stuck in my throat every ti...

i feel like i have a golf ball stuck in my throat everytime i swallow my spit. not when i eat or drink though. it get...

Sore throat/esophagus

I just vomited about an hour ago. It was very painful in my throat when I did it. Even afterward, it is still painful...

Bubble out of my anus? Could it be hernia?

So I been having heartburn for 2 days and then it went away, but then I was feeling constipated and I used the restro...

Floating stool with dark color

Hello. Since last one year my stool is floating. It's dark in colour and toilet water also turns very dark. I don't ...

I have swallowed something into my lungs causin...

So a few days ago i was eating brekfast and when the food went down into the pipe around the middle of the chest i st...

Nurf always throbbing

Why is my nurf always throb andmy head so pain

bloating, acid reflux, thick saliva...

Hello! My mother is 57 and she has these symptoms, after she eats her stomach bloats right away, and after gets some ...

Solution for Heartburn and gastritis with bile ...

I had a large non-malignant polyp removed from my colon a year back with surgery. I had severe cramps in my stomach a...

Small amount of red blood mixed in my stool

Lately I have been getting stomach aches under the breastbone on left side, backache, gas, and nausea. It only hap...

Sudden onset of GERD - what is the cause?

Hi there I'm a young male who lives a generally healthy lifestyle (very little alcohol, moderate exercise, minimal ju...

Is it acid reflux or something else causing phl...

I have been diagnosed with acid reflux, however I'm not convinced that's my problem. I do not experience heart burn,...

Should I go for a endroscope or this may be a p...

Hi I have been suffered from severe gastric problem since few years. And now I am getting a bearable pain inside my s...

Acid Reducers and Anti Nausea pill

Please help me my stomach has been hurting for a week now and I went to the er twice and they gave me acid reducers a...

Medication withdrawal or pregnant?

Am I pregnant or could this be medication withdrawl or something else??

Burp up thick fluid that comes up to my throat

Helloz there. I have been having this problem since last year November. I have been to a lot of doctor's but they c...

Post Your Thoughts