HIV and oral sex

Dear Ask The Doctor:  I had oral sex with a lady. she kept my penis in her mouth. Do i get AIDS if she has aids.

Dear Patient:   Several research studies have shown that young adults tend to be at higher risk of being infected by HIV, mainly through high risk activities such as: unprotected sexual intercourse (especially receptive anal), large number of sexual partners, previous or current STDs (Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, Syphilis, Genital Herpes), sharing intravenous drugs paraphernalia, blood transfusions (before 1985 in US), mucosal contact with infected blood or needle-stick injuries, persons who exchange sex for money and/or drugs. In the infected individuals the highest concentrations of the virus are in blood, less in the semen and vaginal secretion. The virus does not spread through casual contact such as preparing food, sharing towels and bedding, or via swimming pools, telephones, or toilet seats. The virus is also unlikely to be spread by contact with saliva, unless it is contaminated with blood. In the view of your exposure to a high risk activity, the suggested strategy would be: Get Tested. Testing for HIV is a two-step process. First, an inexpensive screening test is done. If that test is positive, a second test (Western blot) is done to confirm the result.

Please login or signup to post comments!

@ASKTHEDOCTOR ON TWITTER
@ASKTHEDOCTOR
Official Question Provider for