Question :

Recommendation for discontinuing Xanax (Alprazolam)

Hi, i have been taking xanax for my fear of flying. i have had a lot of flights in the past 6 months for business maybe about 30 and would take a 2 mg bar for each flight. i just got back from a trip around America and since i got back i have had some anxiety i would have taken about 20 2 mg bars in the past 2 months i have gone weeks at a time without taking them , but the 2 past week i have had a little anxiety and have taken about 6 times. i want to stop would i be dependant and need to taper off?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
I do understand your concern. Xanax or alprazolam is used in the treatment of anxiety disorder, panic disorder and anxiety associated with depression. The drug must be used with caution because there is a high potential for drug dependency. Rebound or withdrawal symptoms, including seizures, may occur following abrupt discontinuation or large decreases in dose. I would suggest that you see your doctor for appropriate recommendations to taper off the drug.

Questions related to Anxiety and Panic

Medical Marijuana Usage Approval?

Would stress-related seizures be a reasonable condition for marijuana consumption? I know that in the state of Maryla...

Gagging Sensation which tends to have lots of m...

For the last 6 months I have been experiencing a gagging sensation in my throat. I tend to have a lot of mucus which ...

Can you go back on Zoloft after being off it fo...

I was on zoloft for 2 years and it worked great. Then it lost its efficacy. Then I was put on Lexapro and was great...

Propranolol for anxiety symptoms

Since childhood I have suffered from social anxiety ie blushing in certain social situations and all my gp has offere...

Lexapro - SSRI - How long will I begin to feel ...

Hi, I was on Lexapro for 3 years 10mgs and just got back symptoms. The Dr. upped the dose to 20 mgs. How long will...

Please help, worsening throat symptoms for 2 years

I have no idea what is happening to me, but I've reached that horrible situation where everyone thinks I'm making up ...

Direction, What to look for

Still waiting on test results, just want some direction. I went to the hospital for not able to breath had pulse of 1...

Legs unsteady and feel like I'll fall over

I am am feeling really unsteady on my feet. My legs feel tight from under the knee down and although I don't fall ove...

During reading acvitiviConscious and shallow br...

I become conscious of my breathing when I'm reading. When I try to take my mind off it, the breathing also becomes ve...

What To Do About Anxiety

I'm having extreme anxiety about going back to school this year and I was previously diagnosed with anxiety but took ...

Self Harm, Possible Anxiety, and Horrid Self Es...

I am only 12 and I always question whether or not I locked a door, cleaned a mess, left my jacket somewhere. When I c...

Feel sick when people eat around me

For the past few months i've been feeling sick whenever Im around people eating or whenever I eat. I feel as if I'm g...

help with my brothers death please help quick i...

is drowning while drunk painful,just wanted to find out beacause my brother drowned 2 months ago and i wonder was he ...

Can a person over 60 take 20 mgs of lexapro

Can a person over 65 take 20 mgs of Lexapro. I read that they cannot.

Can a person who is over 60 take 20 mgs of lexa...

can a person over 65 take 20 mgs of Lexapro. I read that they cannot.

Is this a compulsion?

HI. I am a long-time sufferer of OCD and general anxiety. I also have periodic depression. Sometimes I do things to r...

Extremely nervous during interview!

What can I do to stop the extreme nervousness and anxiety during a job interview, a classroom presentation, an import...

How long between taking Xanax and having an alc...

I know that there can be terrible side effects to mixing Xanax and alcohol, but I currently drink fairly often. If I ...

Can a person actually be "scared to death&...

can someone who is young like 23 years old be scared to death? is it possible? if yes. like what can make that happen?

Jaw Pain and stiffness, please help

Hello my names Shannon I'm 21 years old and I'm a female. So I've looked all over online to find out what's wrong wit...

Social Anxiety that keeps getting worse

Hi.. I think I have some kind of anxiety. I have been suffering with it for a number of years but I can feel that it...

Anxiety attack!

Sunday night, I was given a lollipop with pure THC in it (unbeknownst to me). It caused me to have a severe anxiety a...

feel like pins and needles in my face

for the last few days i've felt like a whole bunch of pins and needles sticking my face. it's mainly been on both che...

How long for escitalopram to leave body?

How Long does it take for escitalopram to be completely gone from your body? I was on a low dose (10 mg) for 2 days a...

Uncontrollable twitches

I am not sure if I put the right category. Maybe this is part of stress, I don't know. I have been having to twitch m...

Post Your Thoughts