PVC's with Bigeminy and Trigeminy

Dear Ask The Doctor:  I am 59 years old with a 25 year history of PVC's. I see a cardiologist every 6 months, have a stress echo every two years, and all have always been normal. i am 6 ft. 168 lbs, exercise regularly, take 400mg daily of Acebutolol, plus 81 mg aspirin and 20 mg. Crestor. i do not use caffeine, am a non smoker and non drinker. I often have a lot of PVC's, to include episodes of bigeminy and trigeminy that can last for several hours. Should I be concerned. I am having a lot of anxiety about this. How common is my situation?

Dear Patient:  Premature Ventricular Complexes or PVC's are not uncommon findings and are considered to be generally benign. They can however result in considerable symptoms in some patients and if extremely frequent may result in a degree of impairment in heart function.  Bigeminy and trigeminy refer to PVC's mixed with normal beats (either every second or third beat respectively). Often PVC's reduce in frequency with beta blockers such as what you are taking. However if you are very symptomatic or have very frequent PVC's it would be worth discussing other treatment options with a cardiac electrophysiologist.

Please login or signup to post comments!

SEARCH: