Question :

Pain on the ball of foot: Morton's Neuroma

I have a foot question i have had very severe pain in the ball of my foot for about a month and a half more serious early in the morning and late at night not sure if i can go to my regular doctor or not what can i do to help it?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
According with your description is most likely that you have a Morton's Neuroma, which is not a true neuroma, produces pain in the distribution of the interdigital nerve secondary to repetitive irritation of the nerve. The most frequent location is between the third and fourth metatarsals (third webspace) but it can develop between the second and third metatarsals (second webspace) as you described. The most common presenting complaints include pain, which is sharp and burning, and it may be associated with cramping. Morton's neuroma is known to develop as a result of chronic nerve stress and irritation, particularly with excessive toe dorsiflexion (toe upward) with activities such as prolonged walking, running, squatting.The conservative treatment involves footwear modifications: soft-soled shoes with a wide toe box and low heel. The next step is altering the alignment and elevation of the metatarsal heads which is achieved by wearing a plantar pad. This prevents more compression and irritation of the digital nerve. Also a physical therapy program can be beneficial and may include: local cold packs, ultrasound, deep tissue massage, and stretching exercises. The coticoesteroids local injection is another treatment option. And if all of the above results unsuccessful, surgery might be considered.

Questions related to Bone Spurs

bone pain

Why am I having a very painful stinging pain in my bones, the pain comes and goes.

Angulation of index finger after surgery, is th...

Ive recently had surgery on my hand to fixate a Metacarpal Fracture of my left index finger. I had the surgery 2 wee...

Moveable lump below my ribcage

I have a movable lump below my right ribcage what is it ?

Double cervical fusion

With double cervical fusion do plates and screws need to be alligned straight and if not can it cause problems?

Bone sticking out of chin?

im honestly not sure what it is, but when I was 14 I had a bone sticking out of my chin, not noticable unless looked ...

Swollen nodes of both proximal phalanxs of the ...

Sir i feel a swelling in my proximal phalanges of both my index fingers. i have no pain.are these tumours ,if yes th...

Spot on the bone due to decreased blood supply

My son just this past weekend broke his arm.We were able to get him to a orthapedic yesterday the Dr. said besides of...

Bone spur in the first metatarsal joint

I am not sure what is wrong with my foot please read my upload. Everything normal on Mri (after you read initial iss...

Osteophytes or spur: what they are?

What is osteophytic spurring and how long does it take to manifest? Can an injury or fall cause this to occur?

Is an operation on her foot the only thing that...

Hi there. 13 years ago my friend accidently dropped something really heavy on her foot and since last summer she has...

Bowed legs "Genu Varum" in a 20 years old female

Hi there, my name is Sarah and I am a 20 year old female. I have got a question about my legs. From the age of about...

Broken Little Toe Still Swollen

I slamed my foot on the edge of a bed, and my small pinky toe bent (made a cracking sound), it bent like a L to the ...

Bones spurs on top of the foot?

Bone spurs how do they occur on the top of my foot and what should i do about them

Fifth metatarsal bone fracture

There's a fracture close to the "tuberosity of 5th metatarsal bone" of my left foot. I've been wearing a cast for tw...

Spinal bone spur surgery expectations

What can I expect after having spinal bone spur surgery?

Non-displaced Ankle fracture: conservative trea...

Sir i had an accidebt n was diagonsed to have undisplaced fracture invoving the postmalleleous. i got a plaster as u...

Femoral Acetabular Impingment (FAI): overview a...

I have been diagnosed with Femoral Acetabular Impingment (FAI) with a slight labiel tear. I have been told nothing b...

Cervical spine bone spurs can cause neurologica...

I have been shown bone spurs on my cervical neck. I also have some neurological issues (feeling of electrical jolts ...

Cuboid bone broken and treatment

I recently broke my cuboid bone in my left foot, a little bit of bone snapped off. i went to the hospital and they p...

Broken Leg

I recently broke my left leg in two places and one bone in my ankle. Today is day 7 my doctor told me tokeep my leg e...

Explosion pain when irrigating maxillar sinus

A MRI was performed on my face just recently and the result says that the nasala conchas are hypertrophic. It says t...

Sciatica

I am 19years old fit young girl and i have sciatica its my first physio sessions today should i go to work straight ...

Heel pain

Dear doctor,2 months back i taken X-ray of my heel and i have the early plantar bony spur.My physician suggested me ...

Leg Shortening Procedure

Ok it i do not have bone spurs but there is no category similar to what i am asking. i have one leg that is longer t...

Broken foot

How do you know when you have a broken foot? My daughter is 1 years old and well the leg of the chair got placed on ...

Post Your Thoughts