Question :

Cervical spine bone spurs can cause neurological issues?

I have been shown bone spurs on my cervical neck. I also have some neurological issues (feeling of electrical jolts in head, tightness in neck, mild headaches, lightheadedness). Are my spurs more likely than not the cause of these symptoms? I also get numbness and tingling in feet and hands (when in awkward positions) more often than I used to. I have random sharp pains in chest area, nowhere near heart.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
The neurological issues as you described may be due a cervical nerve compression, but it would be important to rule out inflammation of the peripheral nerves at the level of the arm and hand. In the younger patients, cervical radiculopathy may be a result of a disc herniation or an acute injury causing impingement of an exiting nerve. In the older patient, cervical radiculopathy is often a result of spinal canal narrowing from bone (osteophyte: “spur”) formation, decreased disc height and degenerative changes due to aging process. The same described before for the cervical spine applies to the lower back in terms of cause of pain and numbness in the legs, same causes, different spinal level.

Questions related to Bone Spurs

bone pain

Why am I having a very painful stinging pain in my bones, the pain comes and goes.

Angulation of index finger after surgery, is th...

Ive recently had surgery on my hand to fixate a Metacarpal Fracture of my left index finger. I had the surgery 2 wee...

Moveable lump below my ribcage

I have a movable lump below my right ribcage what is it ?

Double cervical fusion

With double cervical fusion do plates and screws need to be alligned straight and if not can it cause problems?

Bone sticking out of chin?

im honestly not sure what it is, but when I was 14 I had a bone sticking out of my chin, not noticable unless looked ...

Swollen nodes of both proximal phalanxs of the ...

Sir i feel a swelling in my proximal phalanges of both my index fingers. i have no pain.are these tumours ,if yes th...

Spot on the bone due to decreased blood supply

My son just this past weekend broke his arm.We were able to get him to a orthapedic yesterday the Dr. said besides of...

Bone spur in the first metatarsal joint

I am not sure what is wrong with my foot please read my upload. Everything normal on Mri (after you read initial iss...

Osteophytes or spur: what they are?

What is osteophytic spurring and how long does it take to manifest? Can an injury or fall cause this to occur?

Is an operation on her foot the only thing that...

Hi there. 13 years ago my friend accidently dropped something really heavy on her foot and since last summer she has...

Bowed legs "Genu Varum" in a 20 years old female

Hi there, my name is Sarah and I am a 20 year old female. I have got a question about my legs. From the age of about...

Broken Little Toe Still Swollen

I slamed my foot on the edge of a bed, and my small pinky toe bent (made a cracking sound), it bent like a L to the ...

Bones spurs on top of the foot?

Bone spurs how do they occur on the top of my foot and what should i do about them

Fifth metatarsal bone fracture

There's a fracture close to the "tuberosity of 5th metatarsal bone" of my left foot. I've been wearing a cast for tw...

Spinal bone spur surgery expectations

What can I expect after having spinal bone spur surgery?

Non-displaced Ankle fracture: conservative trea...

Sir i had an accidebt n was diagonsed to have undisplaced fracture invoving the postmalleleous. i got a plaster as u...

Femoral Acetabular Impingment (FAI): overview a...

I have been diagnosed with Femoral Acetabular Impingment (FAI) with a slight labiel tear. I have been told nothing b...

Cuboid bone broken and treatment

I recently broke my cuboid bone in my left foot, a little bit of bone snapped off. i went to the hospital and they p...

Broken Leg

I recently broke my left leg in two places and one bone in my ankle. Today is day 7 my doctor told me tokeep my leg e...

Explosion pain when irrigating maxillar sinus

A MRI was performed on my face just recently and the result says that the nasala conchas are hypertrophic. It says t...

Sciatica

I am 19years old fit young girl and i have sciatica its my first physio sessions today should i go to work straight ...

Heel pain

Dear doctor,2 months back i taken X-ray of my heel and i have the early plantar bony spur.My physician suggested me ...

Leg Shortening Procedure

Ok it i do not have bone spurs but there is no category similar to what i am asking. i have one leg that is longer t...

Broken foot

How do you know when you have a broken foot? My daughter is 1 years old and well the leg of the chair got placed on ...

Pain in area outside of the knee: what doctor t...

When I have an issue, I normally google to get more information and arm myself with some ideas and opinions about po...

Bumps on the lower legs

My daugher has bumps the size of quarters on her lower legs and knees. she has been diagnosed with shine splints af...

Broken Metatarsal

I broke my first metacarple 6 weeks ago i lost my insurance and cut off cast after 4 weeks i have stiffness in my fi...

Continuous and mild pain in the shoulder especi...

Hello, since about 15 days iam having continious mild pain on my right shoulder and the pain is coming up to the mus...

Pain on the ball of foot: Morton's Neuroma

I have a foot question i have had very severe pain in the ball of my foot for about a month and a half more serious ...

Still growing at 46 years old?

Hi, Dr. I am 46 year's old and seeming still growing higher, being noticed by friends, is this possible? I did not r...

Rehab Post Peroneal Fracture

I AM A 22 YEAR OLD MALE THAT BROKE MY FIBULA ON SEPT. 21 2009 I ENDED UP NEEDING TO HAVE SURGERY AND NOW I HAVE ONE ...

Treatment of Bunions

My 12yr old has had bunions from birth. They have gotten worse and I need advice. We went to a ortho dr and he said ...

Cervical Spine Bone Spurs

I can make my left arm numb just by placing my neck in certain positions. A neurologist did a nerve conductivity tes...

TB of the Bones

My mother lives in Zambia Africa, and I live in the US. She has been complaining for the last 1 year of back and leg...

Discoloration and swelling after ankle surgery

I had ankle surgery (plates and screws) almost five weeks ago. I am still not able to bear weight but I was told I ...

Knee pain: MRI is the Best option for Imaging

I have already had xray and mri on my knee. was told it could be cyst or bone spur,now they want to do ultrasound sh...

Heel Spurs and Standing at Work All Day

I have been diagnosed with heel spurs, and I am in alot of pain daily. The bad thing is I have to stand on my feet 8...

Ankle surgery and Possible Compartment Syndrome

I had ankle surgery and was told no weight bearing on the foot. I was given crutches to use but have been unable to ...

Bone spurs on Back of Heel

I had bone spurs on the back of my heel, but now it feels like they are on the bottom of my heel and makes walking p...

Recurrent Patellar Dislocation

Hi I was wondering if you would have a solution to my knee buckling a lot it seems like. My knee buckles probably 10...

Post Your Thoughts