Question :

How much time does it take to recover from an acute subdural hematoma surgery?

Morning Doc, I recently underwent acute sub dural hematoma surgery left frontal one month ago by using Burr hole drainage.Surgery was successful and I was discharged home after 2 weeks.I used to be a heavy smoker I started smoking from the 3 week of post surgery.Can I smoke does it effect any-kind to my surgery?It's 5 week now I'm getting light pain in the left-back side of the head.I used to have double vision before surgery but after surgery in 3 weeks it got cleared.But I feel dizzy.How much time it takes to recover from that?Can I start my daily activities?I can still feel slight tingling in my right leg and arm how much time it takes to recover from that?And my movement of neck is medium.When Can I have sex with my wife?How much more time it takes for me to become normal?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
 The recovery time depends on the severity of the initial injury. Many people recover without any residual effects, some may be required to take anticonvulsant medication to prevent seizures, which can begin several years after the original trauma. Short-term memory problems, anxiety, headaches or amnesia may also occur for a period of time. Recovery usually takes place within the first 6 months after the initial injury in an adult, while a child's recovery time is usually quicker. A subdural hematoma is the result of bleeding between the brain's surface and its outer covering, is usually classified as acute, subacute or chronic and is frequently the result of a serious blow to the head. However, it may occur with a minor head injury, especially in the very young and in the elderly. An acute subdural hematoma is a life-threatening event and more likely to cause permanent damage to the brain because the bleeding occurs rapidly, causing sudden and intense pressure on the brain. The best way to treat a subdural hematoma is to avoid having one. Always wear a helmet when playing sports, bicycling, horseback riding or any other activity that could result in a head injury. Remember to use your seat belt, which reduces the chances of receiving a head injury in an automobile accident, and if you have kids always buckle your children in with age and weight appropriate car seats and belts.

Questions related to Brain and Nervous System

A Question about POTS syndrome.

Hey, Im a student at my school and a close friend of mine has been diagnosed with what they call Pots syndrome. She's...

WHY DO I WRITE MY NUMBERS FROM RIGHT TO LEFT?

Why do I write my numbers backwards? (from right to left)? whenever i write numbers like dates or math problems, i a...

Intracranial hypotension???

Hi, i have 3 spot back to the spinal cord on my MRI, could it be CFS leak, i have headache, tinnitus and double visio...

Hand twitching connected to sudden movements?

Right hand twitching getting worse. For a couple of years now, I sometimes get twitching or cramps in my arms/hands w...

Side effects of levi pil 500 when taken along w...

Can we take other medications (ex: skin treatment e dox dt tablets) along with levi pill 500? are there any side effe...

Headache tried dizzy

I have been tired for 3 weeks and a really bad headache as well from one side to the other. I t feels like I have pre...

Potential Risks Associated with Encephalitis in...

A friend of mine is interested in flotation therapy, also referred to as sensory deprivation; floating in saltwater i...

Metal pierced thought my foot

I had the leg of a metal wind mill that has been sitting in the garden pierce through top of my foot through,a vein a...

Wrist Injury with Nerve Pain

3 years ago, I fell and injuried my wrist. A few months later, the same wrist was squeezed until it made a popping so...

cant feel my hip

For 4 years i have been having a stabbing pain and numbness in my left hip. It started 2 months after my daughter was...

Tramadol and Neurontin

Is tramadol and neurotine are the same medication for the condition superior laryngeal nerve?

Forgetting everything about an argument that I ...

I feel like something is wrong with me. I can remember arguments even if they just happened. I use to remember everyt...

did he keep fighting for me

This isn't a health question, its more of a question that is important to me. My brother had an abscess on his brain ...

Do I have microcephaly?

Do I have microcephaly? Hi, I didn't know what catagory to put this in so forgive me if this is the wrong one. ...

what is the proper treatment for head trauma of...

Should my mother's doctor have ordered tests when she presented with head trauma and was on warfarin? (she died of an...

Hit on head and now has seizures and blackouts

my son got hit on head while the store he worked at was being robed now he has seizures and blackouts the black outs ...

Speech impairment. Trouble pronouncing words

I have had a problem for awhile, where, I know how to pronounce a word but will look at or think about it and still ...

Took my grandfather to a neuropsychologist for ...

Hi, I recently took my grandfather to a neuropsychologist for concerns of cognitive impairment. This particular neu...

Sharp pain in back of my right eye

Hi there, for the past few months I've been experience a sharp pain in the back of my right eye. I'm 17 and I visited...

Can a brain survive after a person dies?

if a person die and brain is recovered before it and supplied with oxygen and nutions in blood can a brain live alive...

Will Pot One Time alter my brain?

I'm 15 years old right now, and I'm about to turn 16 in May. I recently smoked pot last Friday, on April 11th. I was ...

Fainted in class with my eyes open

hello doctor. my name is poorneema. i been suffer headache since when i was in college. one day i was in class sudden...

brain injury due to back side fall

sir my father age is 52 years. he felt on back side and gone unconscious. Then we quickly gave him mouth breathing an...

Tumor in Brain

They have found a tumor in my boyfriend's brain. He's in his twenties. It's a small and benign tumor but it is locate...

Symptoms for over a year no diagnosis

Hi, i hope you can help me in the right direction! Since giving birth May 2012 with epidural around 3 months later (M...

Post Your Thoughts