Question :

Slurred speech and anti-anxiety medication

I am a 19 year old male and for about 5 years now I've been having some frustrating symptoms. Every now and then I have these spells where my speech gets slurred and it gets difficult to speak. I lose all coordination in my body and my face feels weird. I also feel very confused and disoriented. It gets the worst during physical activity but it happens off and on all the time. What could this be?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
I do understand your concern. The problems of speech that you are facing is due to dysarthria which could be due to many conditions. However that most likely cause of slurred speech in your case would be the anti anxiety medication. Medication like xanax and benzodiazepines may cause slurring of speech, confusion and disorientation.

Questions related to Brain and Nervous System

Intracranial hypotension???

Hi, i have 3 spot back to the spinal cord on my MRI, could it be CFS leak, i have headache, tinnitus and double visio...

Hand twitching connected to sudden movements?

Right hand twitching getting worse. For a couple of years now, I sometimes get twitching or cramps in my arms/hands w...

Headache tried dizzy

I have been tired for 3 weeks and a really bad headache as well from one side to the other. I t feels like I have pre...

Potential Risks Associated with Encephalitis in...

A friend of mine is interested in flotation therapy, also referred to as sensory deprivation; floating in saltwater i...

Metal pierced thought my foot

I had the leg of a metal wind mill that has been sitting in the garden pierce through top of my foot through,a vein a...

Wrist Injury with Nerve Pain

3 years ago, I fell and injuried my wrist. A few months later, the same wrist was squeezed until it made a popping so...

cant feel my hip

For 4 years i have been having a stabbing pain and numbness in my left hip. It started 2 months after my daughter was...

Tramadol and Neurontin

Is tramadol and neurotine are the same medication for the condition superior laryngeal nerve?

Forgetting everything about an argument that I ...

I feel like something is wrong with me. I can remember arguments even if they just happened. I use to remember everyt...

did he keep fighting for me

This isn't a health question, its more of a question that is important to me. My brother had an abscess on his brain ...

Do I have microcephaly?

Do I have microcephaly? Hi, I didn't know what catagory to put this in so forgive me if this is the wrong one. ...

what is the proper treatment for head trauma of...

Should my mother's doctor have ordered tests when she presented with head trauma and was on warfarin? (she died of an...

Hit on head and now has seizures and blackouts

my son got hit on head while the store he worked at was being robed now he has seizures and blackouts the black outs ...

Speech impairment. Trouble pronouncing words

I have had a problem for awhile, where, I know how to pronounce a word but will look at or think about it and still ...

Took my grandfather to a neuropsychologist for ...

Hi, I recently took my grandfather to a neuropsychologist for concerns of cognitive impairment. This particular neu...

Sharp pain in back of my right eye

Hi there, for the past few months I've been experience a sharp pain in the back of my right eye. I'm 17 and I visited...

Can a brain survive after a person dies?

if a person die and brain is recovered before it and supplied with oxygen and nutions in blood can a brain live alive...

Will Pot One Time alter my brain?

I'm 15 years old right now, and I'm about to turn 16 in May. I recently smoked pot last Friday, on April 11th. I was ...

Fainted in class with my eyes open

hello doctor. my name is poorneema. i been suffer headache since when i was in college. one day i was in class sudden...

brain injury due to back side fall

sir my father age is 52 years. he felt on back side and gone unconscious. Then we quickly gave him mouth breathing an...

Tumor in Brain

They have found a tumor in my boyfriend's brain. He's in his twenties. It's a small and benign tumor but it is locate...

Symptoms for over a year no diagnosis

Hi, i hope you can help me in the right direction! Since giving birth May 2012 with epidural around 3 months later (M...

Vasovagal syncope, or something else?

I have had random episodes since I was 11 years old (now 17) that no one can explain. I never have any warning signs....

I am very worried about brain cancer any profes...

I've had a dent in my head for almost a year (no previous injury) . the 4 closest lymph nodes to the area are enlarge...

Dizziness and memory loss resulting from coma

what is causing bad dizziness and memory loss?

Can moving my head really fast cause brain damage?

Hello. I have some questions. When i am doing exercise i often feel vibrations throuought my whole body. I wonder if...

Do I have Benign Fasciculations?

Do I have Benign Fasciculation Syndrome? My Name is Andre I'm 24 for about a year I've been experiencing Muscle twit...

Cerebellar Ataxia - Chance of getting it again?

I had Cerabellar ataxia when i was 14 years old, I stopped talking, walking, writing, eating etc... Is there more c...

Multiple neurologic symptoms in a young woman w...

Hi,am 24 years old girl i have hade some problems for some time with balance wen i walk i dont walk stright as i los...

Treatment of migraines without medication

I have maigrain problem as daignosed! I am not able to continue with the medicines as some have side effects.My head...

Fingernail and skin biting - a sign of underlyi...

I am 16 years old and have been biting the skin around my fingers, the inside of my bottom lip and a bit of my left ...

MRI finding :chronic small vessel ischemic changes

Hello.my name is ira,but this about my mom ... i am really need your help to understand the diagnose . my mom (we ar...

Head-aches and Left Eye Twitching.

Hi, i'm Ben from the UK. I'm 18 and i have a slight problem that i'm extremely worried about; For the last week or ...

Possible post-concussion symptoms

I was hit in the head during P.E class and was unconscious for about 3mins. after that i am constantly fainting and ...

Bilateral petrous apex cephaloceles

Can you please explain what bilateral petrous apex cephaloceles means. I had a MRI and will be having a CT scan due ...

Brain MRI findings in a patient with Neurofibro...

There appears to be marked deformity of the right occipital portion of het calvarium extending into the region of th...

MRI finding: Occipital Plexiform Neurofibroma

Pleixform neurofiborma in the right cervical spine, tumor is encroaching on her right occipital bone.

Struggling with memory loss

Hello, I am a 22 year old female. Ive noticed that i've been having some memory loss both short term and long term....

Vertebrobasilar insufficiency with several epis...

I have been diagnosed with Verebrobasilar Disease. I have had 5 TIA's in the past 6 months. I have alot of questions...

Recurrance of bells palsy

I am in recovery from Bell's Palsy. I contracted it on December 29th of last year. I have minimal numbness now. J...

What is a Brain aneursym?

What is an brain aneurysm can medication keep it inunder control can you drive a car when y have it can you work an...

Paresthesias after a head trauma four months ago

My 17 year old daughter has been having bilateral arm, hand Paresthesia and abdominal Paresthesia (front center) for...

Fluid leak after a Spinal puncture

Hello, I had a spinal tap last sunday (9 days ago) and now i have the LP headache. It isn't that bad. I went to see ...

Spinal Cord Injuries: Overview and Diagnosis

Can a doctor determine if my father has a severed spine even though he has not has an MRI?

Blunt head trauma a month ago

A hammer fell off a ladder and hit my head about a month ago. Never lost consciousness, just a bump. However it is s...

Possible Whiplash and concussion after a car ac...

Hello, i am a 28 year old male, and was in a car accident about 3 days ago now, it was a front collusion and he hit ...

The importance of Rehab after lower back surgery

After lower back surgery, will I walk better when my staples are removed?

Alcoholic, given up drinking but still feels ti...

I was an alcoholic ive quit drinking for 1 month now why do i feel light headed and disorientated all the while ? pl...

Vertigo with numbness and weakness in both arms...

I have had vertigo for 2 years. I have done therapy and medication which have not worked. I now am getting the sensa...

Decreased sensation in the back of the neck wit...

I did not see anything about neck pain.2 shoulder surgeries,arth in both knees and back. I have had 3 neck surgeries...

Post Your Thoughts