Question :

Uvula deviation and gag reflex

I noticed tonight that my uvula deviates to the left. I don't spend much time looking at it, so I'd never noticed it before. There are no oropharyngeal masses or tonsilar inflammation. I know uvular deviation can indicate a vagus motor lesion, but I am not experiencing any associated symptoms. I am wondering if this is something I should be concerned about or if there are cases of nonpathological uvular deviation?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
The is innervated by the vagus nerve (Cranial Nerve X). Deviation of the uvula to one side implies a lower motor lesion of the vagus nerve opposite to the side the uvula is deviating to. An upper motor neuron vagus nerve lesion will present with the uvula deviating toward the side of the lesion. I would advise attending your family physician for history of any associated symptoms (difficulty swallowing, speech problems, nasal regurgitation, hoarseness) and physical examination including cranial nerve examination and testing the gag reflex, which is innervated by the vagus nerve, to identify any cranial nerve pathology and investigation as appropriate.

Questions related to Brain and Nervous System

A Question about POTS syndrome.

Hey, Im a student at my school and a close friend of mine has been diagnosed with what they call Pots syndrome. She's...

WHY DO I WRITE MY NUMBERS FROM RIGHT TO LEFT?

Why do I write my numbers backwards? (from right to left)? whenever i write numbers like dates or math problems, i a...

Intracranial hypotension???

Hi, i have 3 spot back to the spinal cord on my MRI, could it be CFS leak, i have headache, tinnitus and double visio...

Hand twitching connected to sudden movements?

Right hand twitching getting worse. For a couple of years now, I sometimes get twitching or cramps in my arms/hands w...

Side effects of levi pil 500 when taken along w...

Can we take other medications (ex: skin treatment e dox dt tablets) along with levi pill 500? are there any side effe...

Headache tried dizzy

I have been tired for 3 weeks and a really bad headache as well from one side to the other. I t feels like I have pre...

Potential Risks Associated with Encephalitis in...

A friend of mine is interested in flotation therapy, also referred to as sensory deprivation; floating in saltwater i...

Metal pierced thought my foot

I had the leg of a metal wind mill that has been sitting in the garden pierce through top of my foot through,a vein a...

Wrist Injury with Nerve Pain

3 years ago, I fell and injuried my wrist. A few months later, the same wrist was squeezed until it made a popping so...

cant feel my hip

For 4 years i have been having a stabbing pain and numbness in my left hip. It started 2 months after my daughter was...

Tramadol and Neurontin

Is tramadol and neurotine are the same medication for the condition superior laryngeal nerve?

Forgetting everything about an argument that I ...

I feel like something is wrong with me. I can remember arguments even if they just happened. I use to remember everyt...

did he keep fighting for me

This isn't a health question, its more of a question that is important to me. My brother had an abscess on his brain ...

Do I have microcephaly?

Do I have microcephaly? Hi, I didn't know what catagory to put this in so forgive me if this is the wrong one. ...

what is the proper treatment for head trauma of...

Should my mother's doctor have ordered tests when she presented with head trauma and was on warfarin? (she died of an...

Hit on head and now has seizures and blackouts

my son got hit on head while the store he worked at was being robed now he has seizures and blackouts the black outs ...

Speech impairment. Trouble pronouncing words

I have had a problem for awhile, where, I know how to pronounce a word but will look at or think about it and still ...

Took my grandfather to a neuropsychologist for ...

Hi, I recently took my grandfather to a neuropsychologist for concerns of cognitive impairment. This particular neu...

Sharp pain in back of my right eye

Hi there, for the past few months I've been experience a sharp pain in the back of my right eye. I'm 17 and I visited...

Can a brain survive after a person dies?

if a person die and brain is recovered before it and supplied with oxygen and nutions in blood can a brain live alive...

Will Pot One Time alter my brain?

I'm 15 years old right now, and I'm about to turn 16 in May. I recently smoked pot last Friday, on April 11th. I was ...

Fainted in class with my eyes open

hello doctor. my name is poorneema. i been suffer headache since when i was in college. one day i was in class sudden...

brain injury due to back side fall

sir my father age is 52 years. he felt on back side and gone unconscious. Then we quickly gave him mouth breathing an...

Tumor in Brain

They have found a tumor in my boyfriend's brain. He's in his twenties. It's a small and benign tumor but it is locate...

Symptoms for over a year no diagnosis

Hi, i hope you can help me in the right direction! Since giving birth May 2012 with epidural around 3 months later (M...

Post Your Thoughts