Trembling limbs, partial loss of vision, confused state after getting up from lying position

Dear Ask The Doctor:  I have been having the following occur since I was about 16 (that's the earliest I can remember, I am now 27. It has only happened after getting up from a lying position. About 5 seconds after getting up, my arms and legs begin to tremble, I lose part of my vision, and and I feel like I'm drunk, for lack of a better word. I hold on to something or voluntarily drop to the ground to prevent from falling. This only happened a few times a year in the past, but last year, it began happening more frequently, about once a month, then once every couple of weeks, and in the past couple of weeks its been happening everyday, sometimes a few times a day. The trembling isn't as bad as it was in the past. Last June, it happened while I was going up the stairs in my home,, and I eventually fell down about 4 steps. I remember the whole thing, although I was unable to fully control my body. Once I reached the floor, my body began to shake uncontrollable, almost as though I was having a siezure. I went to the ER and after that I went through the following, with still no word on what can be wrong. I had blood work done, an echocardiogram, a CT, carried a loop monitor for 2 weeks, EKG, EEG, and have seen an Internist, who has referred me to a Neurologist. My neurologist appointment isn't until June, and I was just wondering if you could shed some light on what could be happening to me. Should I urge to have an MRI done before my neurologist appointment. None of the doctors have been able to answer what is going on with me and I can't seem to find any information online. Your response will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Dear Patient:  I understand your situation and the frustration and worry regarding the same. Your symptoms could point towards various conditions like hypoglycemia ( low blood glucose/sugar levels) - which is characterised by dizzinees, weakness in extremities, loss of consiosness sometimes and even seizure like activity, Seizures or epilepsy : which leads to seizures and neurological dysfunction , heart arrythymia: which is also characterised by presence of palpitations or in some cases a brain space occupying lesion that can lead to similar symptoms. You need to see your neurologist and have tests like an EEG as well as blood glucose monitoring performed. This will give a clearer picture of what exactly is going on. You could get an MRI done prior to the appointment as the neurologist would recommend it if no changes are seen on the EEG. I wish you all the best.

Please login or signup to post comments!

@ASKTHEDOCTOR ON TWITTER
@ASKTHEDOCTOR
Official Question Provider for