Question :

Pressure, heaviness and burning on the left and top of head

Last week I started to have these weird sensations on the top and also on the left top part of my head. They come and go but they are mostly there. They are different from what I have ever felt and are somehow strange. I don't feel dizzy or tired, or unable to concentrate but I am very worried. I sleep well but the sensation starts right after I wake up and is there until I fall asleep. It starts as slight stiffness, then elevates to a feeling of pressure or heaviness (I am not sure). It's hard to describe. Sometimes there is a burning sensation as well. I can kind of locate the sport. It may disappear for several minutes but it comes back again. It is very frustrating. Last week when I was doing my regular 10 mile weekly run I got the sensation that the left side of my head is heavier and somehow more strained than the right. I have had a 2nd cousin who died from a brain aneurysm when he was only 18. My grandfather had a stroke at 70 so this type of illness is in my family history. I am very worried that it may be something like this. Please, give me any advice or opinion. I am really not sure how to react to this and it's been going on for quite a while.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
In my opinion you may want to see your doctor to rule out any condition such as aneurysm (since there is a history in your family). The type of pain in aneurysm is usually severe and different than any headache you may have had, the worst headache ever. Headache may also be caused with the leakage of blood into the brain. Another possibility could be tension headache, that may also be severe at times and be present all the time, but improve with sleep, reduced stress and relaxation of mind. You may try meditation, yoga and other relaxation exercises to reduce stress and related headache. Avoid caffeine, alcohol and smoking if that's the case.

Questions related to Brain and Nervous System

A Question about POTS syndrome.

Hey, Im a student at my school and a close friend of mine has been diagnosed with what they call Pots syndrome. She's...

WHY DO I WRITE MY NUMBERS FROM RIGHT TO LEFT?

Why do I write my numbers backwards? (from right to left)? whenever i write numbers like dates or math problems, i a...

Intracranial hypotension???

Hi, i have 3 spot back to the spinal cord on my MRI, could it be CFS leak, i have headache, tinnitus and double visio...

Hand twitching connected to sudden movements?

Right hand twitching getting worse. For a couple of years now, I sometimes get twitching or cramps in my arms/hands w...

Side effects of levi pil 500 when taken along w...

Can we take other medications (ex: skin treatment e dox dt tablets) along with levi pill 500? are there any side effe...

Headache tried dizzy

I have been tired for 3 weeks and a really bad headache as well from one side to the other. I t feels like I have pre...

Potential Risks Associated with Encephalitis in...

A friend of mine is interested in flotation therapy, also referred to as sensory deprivation; floating in saltwater i...

Metal pierced thought my foot

I had the leg of a metal wind mill that has been sitting in the garden pierce through top of my foot through,a vein a...

Wrist Injury with Nerve Pain

3 years ago, I fell and injuried my wrist. A few months later, the same wrist was squeezed until it made a popping so...

cant feel my hip

For 4 years i have been having a stabbing pain and numbness in my left hip. It started 2 months after my daughter was...

Tramadol and Neurontin

Is tramadol and neurotine are the same medication for the condition superior laryngeal nerve?

Forgetting everything about an argument that I ...

I feel like something is wrong with me. I can remember arguments even if they just happened. I use to remember everyt...

did he keep fighting for me

This isn't a health question, its more of a question that is important to me. My brother had an abscess on his brain ...

Do I have microcephaly?

Do I have microcephaly? Hi, I didn't know what catagory to put this in so forgive me if this is the wrong one. ...

what is the proper treatment for head trauma of...

Should my mother's doctor have ordered tests when she presented with head trauma and was on warfarin? (she died of an...

Hit on head and now has seizures and blackouts

my son got hit on head while the store he worked at was being robed now he has seizures and blackouts the black outs ...

Speech impairment. Trouble pronouncing words

I have had a problem for awhile, where, I know how to pronounce a word but will look at or think about it and still ...

Took my grandfather to a neuropsychologist for ...

Hi, I recently took my grandfather to a neuropsychologist for concerns of cognitive impairment. This particular neu...

Sharp pain in back of my right eye

Hi there, for the past few months I've been experience a sharp pain in the back of my right eye. I'm 17 and I visited...

Can a brain survive after a person dies?

if a person die and brain is recovered before it and supplied with oxygen and nutions in blood can a brain live alive...

Will Pot One Time alter my brain?

I'm 15 years old right now, and I'm about to turn 16 in May. I recently smoked pot last Friday, on April 11th. I was ...

Fainted in class with my eyes open

hello doctor. my name is poorneema. i been suffer headache since when i was in college. one day i was in class sudden...

brain injury due to back side fall

sir my father age is 52 years. he felt on back side and gone unconscious. Then we quickly gave him mouth breathing an...

Tumor in Brain

They have found a tumor in my boyfriend's brain. He's in his twenties. It's a small and benign tumor but it is locate...

Symptoms for over a year no diagnosis

Hi, i hope you can help me in the right direction! Since giving birth May 2012 with epidural around 3 months later (M...

Post Your Thoughts