Question :

Weakness and Numbness in Right Leg

My husband has been suffering for a very long time muscle/possible nerve weekness in his right leg. He says if feels like it does not want to work right, does not always want to come move forward when walking or do what it's supposed to do. He has some numbness in his foot, under his foot and has also had some cold feelings in part of his leg. He knee also gives him problems on the same leg, it feels like it is out of place most of the time. But I do believe that he has further problems than just his knee. When you watch him walk, he has weekness in it which has gotten worse in the last couple of months, his leg has locked up on him this last summer when driving. He has balance issues because of this, he says he really does not have any pain, his main issue is it just does not want to work the way it should, it is getting harder harder for him to do everyday things. We have been to see a doctor in our local community, we are waiting for a MRI, but that will still take another 3 months, we would just like some idea as to what we may be dealing with, if you could give us any information that would be great. There are times when his right hand and are do not always work as it should but his main problem is his leg, it's like he has to work really hard to make it come with him. He is 48 years of age and does smoke.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
One of the most common causes of weakness and numbness in the legs is the narrowing of the spinal canal that can cause nerve compression; this can be diagnosed by performing a MRI.
Another important cause of pain and weakness in the legs may be due to peripheral artery disease (PAD), a decrease in arterial blood supply due to narrowing of blood vessels to the leg. Often the pain and weakness comes with activity - since walking requires more oxygen for the muscles and if the arteries are narrow and can't supply that need - the muscles begin to hurt. Depending upon the level of narrowing and the particular muscles involved, the areas of perceived pain may be different.
Other causes include: vitamin deficiencies (Vitamin B) and nerve inflammation not associated with the spinal cord.
The assessment of leg pain, weakness or numbness always begins with the health care practitioner interviewing the patient and performing a physical examination to help determine what types of further testing might be needed. Usually blood test along with imaging tests as MRI, CT scans and other studies as nerve conduction may be considered, to rule out other causes.

Questions related to Brain and Nervous System

A Question about POTS syndrome.

Hey, Im a student at my school and a close friend of mine has been diagnosed with what they call Pots syndrome. She's...

WHY DO I WRITE MY NUMBERS FROM RIGHT TO LEFT?

Why do I write my numbers backwards? (from right to left)? whenever i write numbers like dates or math problems, i a...

Intracranial hypotension???

Hi, i have 3 spot back to the spinal cord on my MRI, could it be CFS leak, i have headache, tinnitus and double visio...

Hand twitching connected to sudden movements?

Right hand twitching getting worse. For a couple of years now, I sometimes get twitching or cramps in my arms/hands w...

Headache tried dizzy

I have been tired for 3 weeks and a really bad headache as well from one side to the other. I t feels like I have pre...

Potential Risks Associated with Encephalitis in...

A friend of mine is interested in flotation therapy, also referred to as sensory deprivation; floating in saltwater i...

Metal pierced thought my foot

I had the leg of a metal wind mill that has been sitting in the garden pierce through top of my foot through,a vein a...

Wrist Injury with Nerve Pain

3 years ago, I fell and injuried my wrist. A few months later, the same wrist was squeezed until it made a popping so...

cant feel my hip

For 4 years i have been having a stabbing pain and numbness in my left hip. It started 2 months after my daughter was...

Tramadol and Neurontin

Is tramadol and neurotine are the same medication for the condition superior laryngeal nerve?

Forgetting everything about an argument that I ...

I feel like something is wrong with me. I can remember arguments even if they just happened. I use to remember everyt...

did he keep fighting for me

This isn't a health question, its more of a question that is important to me. My brother had an abscess on his brain ...

Do I have microcephaly?

Do I have microcephaly? Hi, I didn't know what catagory to put this in so forgive me if this is the wrong one. ...

what is the proper treatment for head trauma of...

Should my mother's doctor have ordered tests when she presented with head trauma and was on warfarin? (she died of an...

Hit on head and now has seizures and blackouts

my son got hit on head while the store he worked at was being robed now he has seizures and blackouts the black outs ...

Speech impairment. Trouble pronouncing words

I have had a problem for awhile, where, I know how to pronounce a word but will look at or think about it and still ...

Took my grandfather to a neuropsychologist for ...

Hi, I recently took my grandfather to a neuropsychologist for concerns of cognitive impairment. This particular neu...

Sharp pain in back of my right eye

Hi there, for the past few months I've been experience a sharp pain in the back of my right eye. I'm 17 and I visited...

Can a brain survive after a person dies?

if a person die and brain is recovered before it and supplied with oxygen and nutions in blood can a brain live alive...

Will Pot One Time alter my brain?

I'm 15 years old right now, and I'm about to turn 16 in May. I recently smoked pot last Friday, on April 11th. I was ...

Fainted in class with my eyes open

hello doctor. my name is poorneema. i been suffer headache since when i was in college. one day i was in class sudden...

brain injury due to back side fall

sir my father age is 52 years. he felt on back side and gone unconscious. Then we quickly gave him mouth breathing an...

Tumor in Brain

They have found a tumor in my boyfriend's brain. He's in his twenties. It's a small and benign tumor but it is locate...

Symptoms for over a year no diagnosis

Hi, i hope you can help me in the right direction! Since giving birth May 2012 with epidural around 3 months later (M...

Vasovagal syncope, or something else?

I have had random episodes since I was 11 years old (now 17) that no one can explain. I never have any warning signs....

Post Your Thoughts