Question :

Hand pain and swelling after being hit

My left index finger and knuckle is bruised and swollen from being hit. there is also a bruise on the palm side opposite of my knuckle. I can bend my finger and move it, but it's hard to pick up anything with my left hand. Also on the palm of my left hand by my wrist it throbs and hurts and when i touch it it feels kinda numb. i also feel a hard bump on my wrist underneath the thumb and when i push it hurts. what is going on with my hand?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
 The only way to determine certainly if you have a fracture is with imaging studies (x-rays, MRI). The metacarpal bones in the hand connect the bones in the finger to the bones in the wrist. There are 5 metacarpal bones to connect each finger to the wrist. All of the metacarpal bones have the same anatomic structure. Each consists of the base, the shaft, the neck, and the head (knuckle). The base of the metacarpal bone is the portion that attaches to the bones of the wrist. Then due to the blunt hand injury that you sustained you are having a local inflammatory response that is producing the pain. I strongly recommend a complete assessment of your hand by a hand specialist to rule out associated lesions and to ensure that you will receive the right treatment.

Questions related to Bruises

Blood vessels keep breaking

I break blood vessels a lot in hands and feet. Is there anything I can do to stop this? Build the walls. My husband i...

I have a bump right on top of my middle toe on ...

I have a bump right on top of my middle toe on my left foot and I hit it about two moths ago. It hurt for a like a we...

Treatment for Old Bruises

I've had bruises on my knees and elbows for years now that I can't get rid of. Is there any treatment that could remo...

Bruises and headaches

I've recently been bruising easy on my legs and now on both my legs and arms only... and have frequent headaches that...

I hurt my heel

hi. I was at a waterpark on Saturday and went down a steep slide. at the end of the slide was about a 3foot pool of w...

purple circle beside vag

I have a purplish circle on the side of my vagina near the thigh bone. There's a circle in the middle of it.. It does...

Evidence of slapping

I have a friend who is being abused but can't prove it to child protective services. She says her father only slaps h...

Getting bruises

I have been getting bruises out of what seems to be no where on my upper and lower leg. I haven't been bumping into a...

Smashed fingertip

Smashed fingertip in car door. Nail is blue now, cannot bend most distal joint because of swelling. Pins and needle...

Sun burnt before getting the bruise?

Hi doctor... Around 3 weeks ago, I got a bruise on the inside of my arm.. Around 5 cm above my wrist. Around 4 hours ...

Leg swelling and bruising after fall

I slipped and hit my lower leg (shin area) on my friend's boat. We iced it immediately, but a larger blister that loo...

Unexplained raised bruise and tender nipples.

2 Days ago, a 3x2 inch severely purple bruise appeared 2-3 inches above my right hip. I did not hit anything to have ...

Surprise bruise randomly appeared on stomach

I have a large bruise that randomly appeared on my stomach. There has been no injury to that area. I usually bruise e...

Blunt force to wrist/forearm wondering if it's ...

Almost a week ago, I got hit pretty hard on my wrist/forearm, my radius to be exact. Now it is swollen and feels like...

Increasing pain in legs due to circulation issues

I am having and been having for a couple of yrs now pain in my legs and very cold feet. The doctors that last time I ...

Two inch cut on her head.

My grandmother fell two days ago. Split her head open on the left hand side. She now has blood which has fallen into...

Soreness and small lump post chest trauma

On March 2,2012 I walked into the corner of my suv door st full force piercing my left nipple was very pain full no ...

Slipped over the ribs and having pain and swell...

I slipped over 3 days ago and the ribs on my left side are swollen. I am having difficulty breathing and sleeping an...

Getting easily bruised - Do I need to get checked?

BLACK AND BLUE BRUISE APPEARS ON UPPER LEFT ARM, TAKE ABOUT A WEEK TO GO AWAY FEW WEEKS LATER IT APPEARS ON MY LE...

Smashed finger with a Hockey stick

I smashed my finger with a hockey stick and it is only bruised... Should i splint it with a metal splint from home o...

Most common Bicycle injuries

Hello, This was the category I felt was the best for my question. I would like ot know, what the most common injurie...

Post traumatic Hip pain

Yesterday i went drinking with some friends of mine. I was pretty drunk and after a while it took a turn for the wor...

Can a infection of the ear cartilage cause meni...

Can a blood blister or bruise injury to the cartlidge of a child's ear cause menengitis?

Pain after a nose trauma

My daughter headbutted me in my nose, the pain is getting worse and spreading throughout my face each day, but there...

Partial Fingertip amputation two days ago

I cut my fingertip two days ago, and would have cut completely through except that the fingertip is still attached t...

Post Your Thoughts