Question :

Leg lump after dog bite 3 months ago

Hello, I was biten by a ratweiler 3 months ago on the outer thigh(still part of quad). It bruised teriibly and that lasted for weeks. In the middle of the two puncture marks is a hard lump that is very tender if touched and sends pain down inner and outer quad down to each side of kneecap. My quad feels very tight and sore even around to the back of the quad. I also get sharp and throbbing pain around the knot. If I do any walking during the day it is very tight and sore. I had my sister who is a doctor of physical therapy feel the lump and she said it was definetly knot a muscle knot and she suspected myositis ossificans, what do you think?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
 According to your description your might have a complication of the previous dog bite, possibly a foreign body in the wound that you described as a hard lump, the other complications are: skin abscess, cellulitis, bacterial tenosynovitis, and disability due to muscle and tendon injury. Myositis ossificans is an unusual condition produced when soft-tissues are severely injured, a hematoma develop and bone forms within the muscle and this occurs at the site of the hematoma. The cause for this to develop is unknown. I strongly recommend you to get a consultation with a doctor who perform a physical examination and order some imaging studies to determine if you have for sure bone formation in the site of the previous dog bite or is foreign body.

Questions related to Bruises

Blood vessels keep breaking

I break blood vessels a lot in hands and feet. Is there anything I can do to stop this? Build the walls. My husband i...

I have a bump right on top of my middle toe on ...

I have a bump right on top of my middle toe on my left foot and I hit it about two moths ago. It hurt for a like a we...

Treatment for Old Bruises

I've had bruises on my knees and elbows for years now that I can't get rid of. Is there any treatment that could remo...

Bruises and headaches

I've recently been bruising easy on my legs and now on both my legs and arms only... and have frequent headaches that...

I hurt my heel

hi. I was at a waterpark on Saturday and went down a steep slide. at the end of the slide was about a 3foot pool of w...

purple circle beside vag

I have a purplish circle on the side of my vagina near the thigh bone. There's a circle in the middle of it.. It does...

Evidence of slapping

I have a friend who is being abused but can't prove it to child protective services. She says her father only slaps h...

Getting bruises

I have been getting bruises out of what seems to be no where on my upper and lower leg. I haven't been bumping into a...

Smashed fingertip

Smashed fingertip in car door. Nail is blue now, cannot bend most distal joint because of swelling. Pins and needle...

Sun burnt before getting the bruise?

Hi doctor... Around 3 weeks ago, I got a bruise on the inside of my arm.. Around 5 cm above my wrist. Around 4 hours ...

Leg swelling and bruising after fall

I slipped and hit my lower leg (shin area) on my friend's boat. We iced it immediately, but a larger blister that loo...

Unexplained raised bruise and tender nipples.

2 Days ago, a 3x2 inch severely purple bruise appeared 2-3 inches above my right hip. I did not hit anything to have ...

Surprise bruise randomly appeared on stomach

I have a large bruise that randomly appeared on my stomach. There has been no injury to that area. I usually bruise e...

Blunt force to wrist/forearm wondering if it's ...

Almost a week ago, I got hit pretty hard on my wrist/forearm, my radius to be exact. Now it is swollen and feels like...

Increasing pain in legs due to circulation issues

I am having and been having for a couple of yrs now pain in my legs and very cold feet. The doctors that last time I ...

Two inch cut on her head.

My grandmother fell two days ago. Split her head open on the left hand side. She now has blood which has fallen into...

Soreness and small lump post chest trauma

On March 2,2012 I walked into the corner of my suv door st full force piercing my left nipple was very pain full no ...

Slipped over the ribs and having pain and swell...

I slipped over 3 days ago and the ribs on my left side are swollen. I am having difficulty breathing and sleeping an...

Getting easily bruised - Do I need to get checked?

BLACK AND BLUE BRUISE APPEARS ON UPPER LEFT ARM, TAKE ABOUT A WEEK TO GO AWAY FEW WEEKS LATER IT APPEARS ON MY LE...

Smashed finger with a Hockey stick

I smashed my finger with a hockey stick and it is only bruised... Should i splint it with a metal splint from home o...

Most common Bicycle injuries

Hello, This was the category I felt was the best for my question. I would like ot know, what the most common injurie...

Post traumatic Hip pain

Yesterday i went drinking with some friends of mine. I was pretty drunk and after a while it took a turn for the wor...

Can a infection of the ear cartilage cause meni...

Can a blood blister or bruise injury to the cartlidge of a child's ear cause menengitis?

Pain after a nose trauma

My daughter headbutted me in my nose, the pain is getting worse and spreading throughout my face each day, but there...

Partial Fingertip amputation two days ago

I cut my fingertip two days ago, and would have cut completely through except that the fingertip is still attached t...

Post Your Thoughts