Question :

Head Trauma: When to See a Doctor

I was bending over to pick something up and hit my head pretty hard against my glass kitchen table, going down. On my hairline stright north of my eye. For like 10 seconds (or less), I was a little disoriented. Now (2 days later) it is sore to the touch with a minor tension headache and goose egg, but NO nausea, vomitting, fainting, blurred vision or speech, loss of consciousness, etc. Should I see a doctor?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
What you are having could just be a contusion injury after hitting your head. Headaches are common. May I ask what you meant by disoriented? Were you disoriented in the sense you forgot your name or your address or don’t know the time of day or other important information that's hard to forget? If that is the case, then you need to seek medical help urgently. If not then just observe it for now. Head trauma with resultant loss of consciousness will always warrant CT scan. You may put some ice on the bump to help relieve the pain and reduce swelling. Tylenol or Advil may help with the headache. If the headache gets worse or barely relieved by pain relievers, or you will have episodes of vomiting or blurred vision or sudden speech difficulties, then it will be high time to go to the ER or consult a doctor promptly. I hope this helps.

Questions related to Bruises

Blood vessels keep breaking

I break blood vessels a lot in hands and feet. Is there anything I can do to stop this? Build the walls. My husband i...

I have a bump right on top of my middle toe on ...

I have a bump right on top of my middle toe on my left foot and I hit it about two moths ago. It hurt for a like a we...

Treatment for Old Bruises

I've had bruises on my knees and elbows for years now that I can't get rid of. Is there any treatment that could remo...

Bruises and headaches

I've recently been bruising easy on my legs and now on both my legs and arms only... and have frequent headaches that...

I hurt my heel

hi. I was at a waterpark on Saturday and went down a steep slide. at the end of the slide was about a 3foot pool of w...

purple circle beside vag

I have a purplish circle on the side of my vagina near the thigh bone. There's a circle in the middle of it.. It does...

Evidence of slapping

I have a friend who is being abused but can't prove it to child protective services. She says her father only slaps h...

Getting bruises

I have been getting bruises out of what seems to be no where on my upper and lower leg. I haven't been bumping into a...

Smashed fingertip

Smashed fingertip in car door. Nail is blue now, cannot bend most distal joint because of swelling. Pins and needle...

Sun burnt before getting the bruise?

Hi doctor... Around 3 weeks ago, I got a bruise on the inside of my arm.. Around 5 cm above my wrist. Around 4 hours ...

Leg swelling and bruising after fall

I slipped and hit my lower leg (shin area) on my friend's boat. We iced it immediately, but a larger blister that loo...

Unexplained raised bruise and tender nipples.

2 Days ago, a 3x2 inch severely purple bruise appeared 2-3 inches above my right hip. I did not hit anything to have ...

Surprise bruise randomly appeared on stomach

I have a large bruise that randomly appeared on my stomach. There has been no injury to that area. I usually bruise e...

Blunt force to wrist/forearm wondering if it's ...

Almost a week ago, I got hit pretty hard on my wrist/forearm, my radius to be exact. Now it is swollen and feels like...

Increasing pain in legs due to circulation issues

I am having and been having for a couple of yrs now pain in my legs and very cold feet. The doctors that last time I ...

Bruised eye lid! Help!

I have a brusied eye lid and it came out of no where, i woke up this morning with my right eye lid bruised i was won...

Two inch cut on her head.

My grandmother fell two days ago. Split her head open on the left hand side. She now has blood which has fallen into...

Soreness and small lump post chest trauma

On March 2,2012 I walked into the corner of my suv door st full force piercing my left nipple was very pain full no ...

Slipped over the ribs and having pain and swell...

I slipped over 3 days ago and the ribs on my left side are swollen. I am having difficulty breathing and sleeping an...

Getting easily bruised - Do I need to get checked?

BLACK AND BLUE BRUISE APPEARS ON UPPER LEFT ARM, TAKE ABOUT A WEEK TO GO AWAY FEW WEEKS LATER IT APPEARS ON MY LE...

Smashed finger with a Hockey stick

I smashed my finger with a hockey stick and it is only bruised... Should i splint it with a metal splint from home o...

Most common Bicycle injuries

Hello, This was the category I felt was the best for my question. I would like ot know, what the most common injurie...

Post traumatic Hip pain

Yesterday i went drinking with some friends of mine. I was pretty drunk and after a while it took a turn for the wor...

Can a infection of the ear cartilage cause meni...

Can a blood blister or bruise injury to the cartlidge of a child's ear cause menengitis?

Pain after a nose trauma

My daughter headbutted me in my nose, the pain is getting worse and spreading throughout my face each day, but there...

Post Your Thoughts