Question :

How can I get a bruise from an insect bite?

I'm 16 years old. I attended a birthday party that was held in a park on July 9th. I noticed I got bitten by something below the side of my knee, but I just figured it was a mosquito bite or fly bite since everyone was getting bitten. Strangely though, it didn't itch. I didn't pay much mind to it... a few hours later I went home to take a nap, and when I woke up I had a huge bruise! The upper part of the bruise had a round skin colored circle, and around it was bluish black with weird purple dots scattered. I went to my doctor 4 or 5 days later and she claimed it was nothing. I STILL have this bruise, except now I can't tell if its getting better or worse. The purple dots have turned into purple streaks... I've researched online and I'm scared it could be something serious. I just want to know what it is, what could've bitten me, and if it could be dangerous... Thank you!

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
I honestly do not know what bug could have bitten you since there are various kinds of bugs out there and the geographic distribution is a factor too. The doctor who saw you should know the common bugs in your area and since he said it is nothing serious, I am confident he/she ruled out the bug bites that causes serious complications. It is possible that the bug bite has severed a superficial blood vessel, the ones just right under your skin that is why there is a bruise now. If an insect bite should cause worry, symptoms will be very apparent in a matter of days and in unfortunate cases, hours.  Symptoms can vary: difficulty of breathing, severe swelling and pain on the area, discharges (pus) on the area, etc. If you have not had these then there’s really no need to worry. Bruises also evolve in color over time. On the first day, it is usually red. On the 2nd to 6th day, it can turn bluish or purple then after a week it usually turns greenish. After that it may turn into a yellowish brown then after 2-3 weeks, it should go back to normal looking skin. These are only rough estimates and some individuals may heal longer and may take more days for bruises to resolve. Your bruise looks like a typical one and it is just starting to resolve. If the bruise still looks bad after 3 weeks, then it will be high time to see your doctor again. For now, just observe it as it will be likely to resolve on its own. I do hope I have appeased your concerns and take care always.

Questions related to Bruises

Blood vessels keep breaking

I break blood vessels a lot in hands and feet. Is there anything I can do to stop this? Build the walls. My husband i...

I have a bump right on top of my middle toe on ...

I have a bump right on top of my middle toe on my left foot and I hit it about two moths ago. It hurt for a like a we...

Treatment for Old Bruises

I've had bruises on my knees and elbows for years now that I can't get rid of. Is there any treatment that could remo...

Bruises and headaches

I've recently been bruising easy on my legs and now on both my legs and arms only... and have frequent headaches that...

I hurt my heel

hi. I was at a waterpark on Saturday and went down a steep slide. at the end of the slide was about a 3foot pool of w...

purple circle beside vag

I have a purplish circle on the side of my vagina near the thigh bone. There's a circle in the middle of it.. It does...

Evidence of slapping

I have a friend who is being abused but can't prove it to child protective services. She says her father only slaps h...

Getting bruises

I have been getting bruises out of what seems to be no where on my upper and lower leg. I haven't been bumping into a...

Smashed fingertip

Smashed fingertip in car door. Nail is blue now, cannot bend most distal joint because of swelling. Pins and needle...

Sun burnt before getting the bruise?

Hi doctor... Around 3 weeks ago, I got a bruise on the inside of my arm.. Around 5 cm above my wrist. Around 4 hours ...

Leg swelling and bruising after fall

I slipped and hit my lower leg (shin area) on my friend's boat. We iced it immediately, but a larger blister that loo...

Unexplained raised bruise and tender nipples.

2 Days ago, a 3x2 inch severely purple bruise appeared 2-3 inches above my right hip. I did not hit anything to have ...

Surprise bruise randomly appeared on stomach

I have a large bruise that randomly appeared on my stomach. There has been no injury to that area. I usually bruise e...

Blunt force to wrist/forearm wondering if it's ...

Almost a week ago, I got hit pretty hard on my wrist/forearm, my radius to be exact. Now it is swollen and feels like...

Increasing pain in legs due to circulation issues

I am having and been having for a couple of yrs now pain in my legs and very cold feet. The doctors that last time I ...

Two inch cut on her head.

My grandmother fell two days ago. Split her head open on the left hand side. She now has blood which has fallen into...

Soreness and small lump post chest trauma

On March 2,2012 I walked into the corner of my suv door st full force piercing my left nipple was very pain full no ...

Slipped over the ribs and having pain and swell...

I slipped over 3 days ago and the ribs on my left side are swollen. I am having difficulty breathing and sleeping an...

Getting easily bruised - Do I need to get checked?

BLACK AND BLUE BRUISE APPEARS ON UPPER LEFT ARM, TAKE ABOUT A WEEK TO GO AWAY FEW WEEKS LATER IT APPEARS ON MY LE...

Smashed finger with a Hockey stick

I smashed my finger with a hockey stick and it is only bruised... Should i splint it with a metal splint from home o...

Most common Bicycle injuries

Hello, This was the category I felt was the best for my question. I would like ot know, what the most common injurie...

Post traumatic Hip pain

Yesterday i went drinking with some friends of mine. I was pretty drunk and after a while it took a turn for the wor...

Can a infection of the ear cartilage cause meni...

Can a blood blister or bruise injury to the cartlidge of a child's ear cause menengitis?

Pain after a nose trauma

My daughter headbutted me in my nose, the pain is getting worse and spreading throughout my face each day, but there...

Partial Fingertip amputation two days ago

I cut my fingertip two days ago, and would have cut completely through except that the fingertip is still attached t...

Post Your Thoughts